Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new "Frontier" this evening and I have question concerning the CD player!

I have the basic radio/single disk cd player HU, which I have no problem with but I do have quite a few mp3's. What would be the recommended method to enable me to listen to these through this HU? The operator's manual does not indicate this HU will not play mp3's but I tried and it does not work, plays audio files only!

Thanks
Major

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I just replaced my radio with the Jensen VM 9510 because I wanted more features, but nissan radio will not play WMA format, only MP3, you have to check that and maybe convert them. I use Sonic to burn my MP3 cd's

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gfronty05,
Are you saying my HU should play mp3's? I tried several differemt mp3 disks but none would work! Only the standard audio files would play.

Major

·
Registered
182 Posts
Plays both...

I have multiple amount of burned cds using nero and they all play in my cd player. That is all I do. I have at least 50 burned cds and all of which work in the cd player. Its a basic unit in the SE. Most of the format is MP3. If they are another format just download one of the free rippers online to change it to MP3 format. Later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find this very confusing I have two (2) forum members indicating the basic HU will play mp3's. I have tried Nero & Roxio and even those mp3 disks will work in other players these same disks will not work in my new "Frontier" ! The HU plays audio files just fine but not mp3's.

Is there some sort of settings that need to be made! The operators manual is not much help!

Thanks
Major

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I dont think there is any settings to be made. I had the same problem as ur having, but I got really frustrated and just changed my radio to one that has that feature and alot more. Im sorry I could not help much, but the operators manual says it does play MP3 format cd's but i had no luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gfronty05,
I apprecaite the input I guess I will head to best buy & see what I can get.

I must have wasted 6-7 CD's trying different configurations of mp3 recordings but nothing worked!

Maybe we have defective CD players?

Major

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you have the stock radio (not the upgraded rockford fosgate system), then it more than likely will NOT play mp3 cds.

Just to check though... the Rockford Fosgate upgraded system actually says MP3 on the face of the unit. So following suit, unless your factory unit says MP3 on it, or mentions explicitly that it supports mp3s in the manual... don't expect it to play them.

-dsx

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dsx,
The front of the HU does not explicitly say mp3 and the operators manual does not say one way or the other! I guess what lead me to believe it would is the operators manual talks about mp3 spec's & troubleshooting.

I appreciate the info and I am thinking you are correct!

Thanks
Major

·
Registered
5 Posts
Major,
I just saw this post. The stock HU (single CD player unit) will not play MP3s, the upgraded HU (6 CD changer unit) or the "Premium" unit (Rockford Fosgate) will.

Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd say the easiest way to listen to mp3 with out having to change you head unit, or rip your dash out. At wal-mart they have these little cheap MP3 players called ilo. These things rock and come with an Fm mod. So all ya have to do is tune your head unit to like 88.1 hit play and rock on. This is what I done in mine. I have a very expensive Cd player but un fortunitly I bought it before the MP3 rage and it didnt come with that feature, and I didnt want to buy another unit, to end up down grading just so I can listin to Mp3's!! I have been running this set up since christmas, and it works great for me. It takes AAA batteries, seems to have really good battery life. Since I listen to it on my way to work, unplug the FM mod an plug my headphones up, work eight hours or more, then another 30 min drive home, and the battery last about 4-5 days. I would guess that if someone only listened to it in there car the battery would last a few weeks instead. The upside.. you dont have to spend any money on CD-R's all ya have to do is plug the usb cable in upload your songs. Right now I have about 200 songs on mine and I still have some free space on it. Something to consider anyways.

Later, Tango

·
Registered
224 Posts
audio question

sorry guys i realy dont have any idea about sounds system, im thinking about upgrading my sounds on my 05 CC, first, i know i need to get a new HU, any recommendation would be appreciated, and about speaker im thinking about 5.1 system,
anybody know how to do this set up.. and what speaker i need. i've seen a lot of speaker with tweeter in the center, is that work better than a seprate tweeter.

need help GUYS... thanks in advance..

edgar

·
Registered
119 Posts
The 1 disc player will not play the MP3s. The reason that the manual talks about MP3s is becuase it refers to both the 1 cd and 6 cd units. Since its pointless to print out seperate manuals, they refer to many things you might not have in your truck.

I got a 6disc from a guy who pulled it out of his King Cab and put it in my Crew Cab. You can get them on ebay or postings at forums if you want a stock look to play MP3s, or you can get an after market one.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Major said:
I find this very confusing I have two (2) forum members indicating the basic HU will play mp3's. I have tried Nero & Roxio and even those mp3 disks will work in other players these same disks will not work in my new "Frontier" ! The HU plays audio files just fine but not mp3's.

Is there some sort of settings that need to be made! The operators manual is not much help!

Thanks
Major
Major,

You probably found the answer you were looking for by now. I just wanted to shed some light on this. If you don't have the RF package, then you cannot play MP3s burned on a CDR; just regular audio CDs.

In order to listen to your MP3s in your truck, you have to change the format from MP3 to an audio file like WMA, AND THEN burn that file to a CDR. Technically at this point, it is no longer an MP3. It is now audio that your regular factory CD player can play; thus you can only fit an average of 15 songs per CDR rather than more than 100 MP3s on a CDR.

I would just get a new HU altogether, or go that MP3 player way. . .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts