Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend and I went to Alaska on cruise (which was really awesome) and we went off-roading in a tomcar (TOMCAR). I have been thinking about getting an ATV, but found this to be more enjoyable. What are people's opinions?

Tomcar's are really expensive, but there are other off-road buggies (twisters or others) that much cheaper. My question is most people get ATV's (raptors, etc), why? Is there a benefit? Is there a reason to chose one over the other?

Also, has anyone loaded a buggy into the back of a fronty?

thanks

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I ride a YFZ450 and love it. But I am into jumping and hauling A$S so it fits well. I am not a fan of the buggy things unless you live by a lot of sand/dunes. I ride a lot of trails and the biggest thing you will fit through most trails is an 4 wheeler.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can definitely see the speed thing, which I am not into. I never thought much about the width, but makes sense. thanks

·
Registered
735 Posts
What kind of terrain will you be riding? Those things(TomCars) are expensive as hell and lack features that many of todays current UTVs(Polaris Razr, Kawisaki Teryx, Yamaha Rhino, etc) have such as 4x4 and differential lock. For the cost of that TomCar you can get a fully built UTV that will out do the TomCar in everyway.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I would look at the side by sides as mentioned above. I would love to have a Rhino or Razr one of these days.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
if you want a buggy like that, find a good wielding shop and have them make the chassis, then you can out fit it with motor, trans, and anything else you want.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are 3 options.
1. buggy style (not tomcar, they are outragiously expensvie), but a style like hammerhead Off Road Models

2. Side by sides UTV.

3. ATV

Riding will be desert (Mohave), Sand dunes and mountain trails. I would like to put two people on it. Very safe and top speed is of little concern. I would like to be able to put it in the back of the truck (CC, short box). I have a boat and I am tired of paying for storage, so want to put it in the garage without buying a trailer.

My experience: ATV's are fun, but have more risk. Here on sand dunes, people get hurt all the time, so I like the idea of a roll cage. I don't like the way they drive as much, I would prefer a motorcycle.

The side by sides look like they can roll easy (like a golf cart), I have no experience with them.

The off-road buggy was a blast. Very safe, but may have some limitations (no 4x4, less clearance, less mobility).

Didn't know if anyone had experience with all three?

thanks

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
your not going to fit anything other than a 4 wheeler in the bed of the truck. your looking at over 110" in length on both the Ranger and Mule. i have ridden/driven 4 wheelers and the mules/gators and really, the mules are hard to role over. the look tall but all there weight is down low. but, if your looking into either a buggy or the SxS's your going to need a trailer for either.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
There are 3 options.
1. buggy style (not tomcar, they are outragiously expensvie), but a style like hammerhead Off Road Models

2. Side by sides UTV.

3. ATV

Riding will be desert (Mohave), Sand dunes and mountain trails. I would like to put two people on it. Very safe and top speed is of little concern. I would like to be able to put it in the back of the truck (CC, short box). I have a boat and I am tired of paying for storage, so want to put it in the garage without buying a trailer.

My experience: ATV's are fun, but have more risk. Here on sand dunes, people get hurt all the time, so I like the idea of a roll cage. I don't like the way they drive as much, I would prefer a motorcycle.

The side by sides look like they can roll easy (like a golf cart), I have no experience with them.

The off-road buggy was a blast. Very safe, but may have some limitations (no 4x4, less clearance, less mobility).

Didn't know if anyone had experience with all three?

thanks
1) The hammerhead is a waist om money

2) The tomcar is way to heavy and cost to much for what it is.

3) The SXS are nothing like a golf cart. If speed is not your thing the rolling one should not be a prob. The Polaris RZR is the one i would pick if you had to have one. Still w waist of cash in my opinion but that's for you to decide. Id find a used sandbullet or kingsand car. But then again no 4x4 and i like to go fast.

4) get the RZR. Oh i forgot about the Red line Revolt SXS. Look into that.

And my quad fills that bed of my truck. your not going to fit anything in the bed of it.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Def. the Ranger Rzr, it's an awesome side by side, and if you ever go into National parks, where the max. width is 50" you can still ride them there.

But, for storage look into a Can-am, they have some nice atv's, and their 800 2 seater is awesome

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
I d/k what type of terrain/riding you'll be doing but those things look like overkill esp. that price tag (ouch). I just got an off road kart for mostly well packed trails and winter lake racing. I've had atv's, snomobiles, dirtbikes and I can honestly say I get more "smiles per mile" with the kart believe it or not. Maybe you could scale things down and get something in the Honda Odyssey size range. Much cheaper and you'd be suprised at the pounding those things will take. My buddy bought a 150cc suspension kart that will fit in my truck (front wheels ride up a bit on the fender wells but it can make it.) He paid like 2g for the thing and for the past 3 mos. we've been beating the sh*t out of it and it takes all of it without so much as a peep. I can't tell you how much fun our Fri. nights have been since we got our karts. I't's become our weekly "Grand Prix" rain or shine. His kart is only about 2in. wider than my buddies Honda trx 250. I'm looking into getting a single seater 250 cc kart (suspended) However like others have mentioned there are numerous kits/plans if you're handy as well as lots of store bought turnkeys. You can get them in lots of places and all the way up to 1000cc. MUCH cheaper than the kart you were using. But again it depends on the terrain and your particular needs but you can get any of the above mentioned karts/and side by sides for well under what that Tomcart costs. The lower the center of gravity the harder you can corner but you'll give up ground clearance. Heavy mud and hill climbing you'll prob. want a side by side with 4wd but it wont corner hard like a dune buggy. G/L and post pics. if you get one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I hadn't looked into width too much, but I was thinking I might go with something like this ATV Carrier or ATV loader with ATV Ramps
or making something like this due to the width of the UTV.

thanks for the help, especially with the lesser known brands. Not much information out there.

I have seen several of the Can-am Spyder roadsters here in Cali, they look like a ton of fun. Have not checked out their ATV's. There is an Artic Cat dealer near by, they look like they have some nice products also.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I'm sorry i have to disagree. the little china karts are junk. but in the end its up to you. google around read some other forums for some of the SXS and ATVs suggested.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I hadn't looked into width too much, but I was thinking I might go with something like this ATV Carrier or ATV loader with ATV Ramps

I have seen several of the Can-am Spyder roadsters here in Cali, they look like a ton of fun. Have not checked out their ATV's. There is an Artic Cat dealer near by, they look like they have some nice products also.
With the UTV on the back of the bed you will wear out your shocks pretty quickly, so you may want to upgrade your rear suspension.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
I'm sorry i have to disagree. the little china karts are junk. but in the end its up to you. google around read some other forums for some of the SXS and ATVs suggested.
I have to agree that at first I thought the same but I've personally dished out and seen the punishment my buddy's kart takes and no joke the thing is damn near unbreakable. We've jumped it, run it accidently into a tree or two he he. run it wide open for ever, buried it in mud, rode it in several downpours and literally drive it as hard as we can and the stupid thing just takes it. Ther are prob. crappy manufacturers out there tho. Like anything buyer beware.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
you would have to have your own made. they are only for long bed and short bed full sized trucks from the looks of that site. also, it will have to over hang the rear due to wheel base on the SxS's or buggies.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Well I think I just found your answer. We have a Joyner Sand Viper 800cc. It fits all of requirements stated above. You can take it on trails the quads fit on, dominate in the dunes(better than any UTV I've ever seen), and it cost about the same as a UTV.
Here's the website Worldwide distributor of recreational utility vehicles and dune buggies.
This is ours:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts