Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm considering purchasing a late model SV with an extended cab. The bed has long slots for hook attachments, however these don't seem that they would adequately secure motorcycle tie downs. I need a recommendation for a product which will properly secure my motorcycle tie downs. Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,565 Posts
I've secured a friends motorcycle in the bed of my 1st Gen using the hooks in each corner with zero issues.

I know 1st Gens are completely different though.

I did remove the tailgate for the venture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you talking the utilitrac rails on the sides, floor and front of the bed?

What kind of motorcycle?
Yes, I don't think that any of the utilitrac rails will properly secure the tie down hooks. Maybe for a lightweight dirtbike, but this is a 500 pound Honda VFR800.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Yes, I don't think that any of the utilitrac rails will properly secure the tie down hooks. Maybe for a lightweight dirtbike, but this is a 500 pound Honda VFR800.
You will be fine. It is not holding the weight of the bike it is just balancing it. Strap it down and go.

Reactions: TwoWheelsDown

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Invasion08, The arced cuts of the utilitrac rails are shallow and it seems the hooks could easily slide inwards, causing the tie downs to lose tension, but if you have experience and found this is not a problem, great, I will give that a go. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
Are you talking about just hooking the ratchet strap to the rail or using a proper attaching point on the rail and then hooking your ratchet strap to that? The proper method is to attach the tie down and then hook your strap to that. everything is secure. I've tied down decent load of lumber with no issue...

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
On a related subject, how exactly should I attach, that is bolt, the front wheel chock to the bed?
there are also rails on the floor. If you go to home depot, you can get spring nuts and then simply use a board and mount the board across the two rails and attach your wheel chock to that.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
If you use the supplied attachments I think it would. They have grooves that when lined up and tied down keep the attachment from sliding. There are also blocks you place in the grooves and next to the other attachments that lock down and add to the strength of the tie-down. Four of the attachments, two on each side of the bike on the floor would secure it well. I would use it. Do you have the gate for the utilitrac? If so I would push the bike forward, lock it down with the straps to the floor, if you have any attachments left (what the hell do they call those anyway?) tie the bike off to the side of the bed as well, and then push the gate up against the rear tire of the bike and clamp it down. That bike aint moving. This is how I would do it anyway.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
No way you're going to pull those out of the bed. If you are planning on doing a Hot Wheels track loop-de-loop with your truck and the bike's upside-down suspended from the UtiliTrak, I might worry. Other than that, no way. I mounted a steel toolchest in the back of mine then added extra track to it to increase the tie-down points and versatility. These tracks are pretty tough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used the Utilitrack tie downs to go pick up my new (to me) truck a few weeks ago. Rode the bike out to get it, load it in the bed, drive home. Super Tenere with luggage mounted, definitely over 600lb.

I was nervous about using them but had no issues. I probably should have been more worried about my Harbor Freight cheap-o ratchet straps... That said, I'd prefer some hard mounted tie downs lower in the bed if I were going long distance. My trip was only about 150 miles.

IMG_20200726_110101.jpg

IMG_20200726_112501.jpg

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
there are also rails on the floor. If you go to home depot, you can get spring nuts and then simply use a board and mount the board across the two rails and attach your wheel chock to that.
Yes. The utilitrack rails are the same dimensions as a product called strut-channel, also commonly referred-to as unistrut. There are threads on here somewhere about building custom tie-downs for things like spare wheels and maxtrax recovery boards, I encourage looking them up and doing something similar.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Yes. The utilitrack rails are the same dimensions as a product called strut-channel, also commonly referred-to as unistrut.
That is an incredibly useful piece of information. I'm going to be starting a thread for a project I am going to work on for my truck that utilizes the utilitrac rails.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you're worried about any slack in the strap, you might be able to wrap the strap around the lower part and hook the strap on itself. The utilitrac provides a pretty good load securement setup within weight restrictions.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have 2 of the factory utility track tie down cleats & 4 aftermarket ones from ebay that look like this:

I did a 400 mile round trip with the motorcycle only secured to the aftermarket ones. They worked just fine on my 400lbs CBR600RR.

IMG_3590.jpg

If you're worried use the factory tie down cleats and a set of quality straps.
Otherwise purchase a cheap wheel chock that you can bolt down to your bed like this:

·
Registered
763 Posts
2016 thruxton r, 2006 thruxton, 2016 speed triple, 2016 tdub 200 have all ridden in my bed with no issue. Some through mountain passes and windy roads. Just make sure to secure the rear wheel with the floor mounted utili-trac as well and you should be good.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If i remember right, the factory utilitrak cleats have a 250lb working load limit each, so 4 point restrain that cycle and roll with it.

Added- reread you're post. The cleats have a nub the locks into a notch, then when you tighten the bolt it prevents it from sliding up out of the locking notches. As long as the bolt is tight, it can't come loose unless it has an excessive amount of force damaging the rails etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm 100% certain you can carry a VFR800 in the bed of a 2nd Gen Frontier (see photo). :) I've carried mine and other slightly lighter motorcycles in the bed of the truck numerous times.

For securing motorcycles and ATVs, I highly recommend getting a set of Canyon Dancer straps to secure the front-end.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts