Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
I bought my head unit, back-up camera, and USB pords from Amazon as well. Atoto has a store on Ebay and they sell the PRO unit there for $175 but list it as "90% like new"... I didn't want to take the chance that the 10% was a crack on the front so I went with the safe bet like AJ clearwater.

I am in the process of putting the harness together but was thinking I would reverse the antennas with the wifi antenna stuck to the underside of the dash to the right, and the gps on the "tray". I don't think it matters a great deal where the wifi antenna is for me as I'm planning on using a hotspot through my phone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I bought my head unit, back-up camera, and USB pords from Amazon as well. Atoto has a store on Ebay and they sell the PRO unit there for $175 but list it as "90% like new"... I didn't want to take the chance that the 10% was a crack on the front so I went with the safe bet like AJ clearwater.

I am in the process of putting the harness together but was thinking I would reverse the antennas with the wifi antenna stuck to the underside of the dash to the right, and the gps on the "tray". I don't think it matters a great deal where the wifi antenna is for me as I'm planning on using a hotspot through my phone.
The one main thing I forgot to mention, the WIFI antenna does not like to work when close to anything metal. I used some temp tape to locate it in about 6 different areas and absolutley had to get it away from the metal stuff (frame/tubes/braces) in the dash. That had a huge effect on signal strength and distance. I even drove to a couple fast food joints and retested. The best location was top right front windshield, second best was right under that cover. GPS antenna was not so sensitive with the positioning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
I'm looking at the pumpkin version, its running android 9.0 not the dinosaur version 6.0 that the Atoto is running and it has double the ram at 4gb.

My dad has a 10.1" version of the pumpkin and I'm blown away how instant it starts, like faster then my stock radio now almost lol.

Only thing I don't know about, it says supports 1 video and I need to have 2, someone replied that they have 2 and they use the dash cam input, but there is none for that radio that I see

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
The one main thing I forgot to mention, the WIFI antenna does not like to work when close to anything metal. I used some temp tape to locate it in about 6 different areas and absolutley had to get it away from the metal stuff (frame/tubes/braces) in the dash. That had a huge effect on signal strength and distance. I even drove to a couple fast food joints and retested. The best location was top right front windshield, second best was right under that cover. GPS antenna was not so sensitive with the positioning.
Thanks for being my guinea pig! I'll follow your lead and put the wifi antenna under the cover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Use Crutchfield or Metra/Scosche sites for all your install part # and to verify year/make/model match. I usually do that, get my parts listed, search the interwebs for best price/avail/etc and then order. I got my A6, trim kit, wire harness, backup camera, toggle switch all from Amazon. They have finally gotten the return part as easy as can be, so I have zero worries about ordering from them.
Here are some pics of my antenna setup, I put my GPS on the passenger side, just right of the radio and just above the glove box. It's the metal tube or dash frame (pic see the GPS Signal results). The other is the Wifi antenna and besides sticking it to the glass in the lower pass side front windshield, this was the best place to put it. Use these little 3M clips to hold it in place and it makes for really easy removal if I need to get to the deck again.
View attachment 314313
View attachment 314314
Thanks Bur Crutchfield doesn't show the Atoto A6 lol, probably for obvious reasons.

Still confused on whats needed for, keeping backup camera,keeping OEM USB port, keeping steerinwheel controls.
Will the sonar still work, beep beep beep sound when backing up?

Thanks but seems like you guys have done this all, or maybe just have the radio and the other things don't work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Still confused on whats needed for, keeping backup camera,keeping OEM USB port, keeping steerinwheel controls.
Will the sonar still work, beep beep beep sound when backing up?
Unfortunately, my truck had none of those features (2006 SE). The atoto's input for the backup camera is an rca female. I think that as long as the oem backup camera is simply a rca connector into the current head unit it should work fine. Similarly, there is a USB Type A female port on back for hooking to USB, so again if the stock head unit's USB is connected via USB port, that should work. There are threads here on connecting the oem steering wheel controls to aftermarket head units, it requires an interface but there are a few very good write up on it. If you're interested I can dig up the one I have bookmarked (I'm on the wrong computer currently).

I have no idea about the sonar.

I am in process of doing the install in my truck. The center console completely fell apart (15 years of sitting in the Florida sun) so I have that ridiculously expensive part on order. The oem head unit in my truck was a double din and I just re-used the mounting brackets that came with the truck (the correct position was having the brackets parallel to the front of the unit but higher up so that only 2 screws are engaged on each side; in the more natural position where all 4 screw holes match up it sat too high). I also did not buy a trim kit as I had read that it was unnecessary and that too worked out really well. I used the trim ring that came with the A6 and I think it looks great. I didn't even need to purchase a harness as my current head unit is also not-oem and I had purchased a harness for that install). I'll get a picture once the new console has arrived and I have it installed (unless you really need one sooner). I still have to install the backup camera and figure out which launcher I prefer. I am loving it so far. OBD2 working perfectly, GPS and Wifi signals are great sitting in my driveway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
I bought the unit, wiring harness fand double din kit from bestbuy incase it doesnt fit I can simply return it.

I figure if I cannot get the steeringwheel controls figured out I'll just take it apart again next weekend.
thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
That's the interface I have saved in my Amazon basket, so I think we're on the right page. This is one thread on it:


I just realized that the harness that came with my A6 is different than the one show in the Amazon listing for it. Mine came with a 3.5mm female jack for the swc as part of the harness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
well it looks like the axxess comes with a 3.5mm jack so I hope it works, I'm going to go ahead and order it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Thanks Bur Crutchfield doesn't show the Atoto A6 lol, probably for obvious reasons.

Still confused on whats needed for, keeping backup camera,keeping OEM USB port, keeping steering wheel controls.
Will the sonar still work, beep beep beep sound when backing up?

Thanks but seems like you guys have done this all, or maybe just have the radio and the other things don't work?
Yes, crutchfield doesn't have the A6 on the list but when you put in your vehicle information and then pick one of the double din stereos with similar features(backup cam, gps, etc) you'll be able to scroll down and selection "accessories" or something like that and the dash kit, wire harness, steering wheel switch will be listed.

My truck is 06 4x4 SE, did not have steering wheel controls, backup cam/sonar, usb etc. Search the board here and you'll find some of the solutions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Thanks, all the accessories show though is actual back up cameras, no adapters to get it to work with my oem one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
I think im good, I read rains post earlier

1. Main Connections: main power + speaker connection harness ........I think I have this, bought from bestbuy wiring harness, only 1 plug though
2. Bluetooth hands-free: Axxess NIS32-BT bypass harness OR manual wire splicing......... not sure what this is for, I guess I will splice if I have to?
3. Steering wheel controls: Axxess ASWC-1 or similar SWC adapter harness + 3 extra wires..........bought this, 3 xtra wires?
4. Backup camera: Axxess NIS32-SWC or similar backup camera adapter harness..........bought this
5. USB port: Axxess NISUSB-2 Adapter harness ..........plan to mod my new one into the slot of the oem one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Well this was a waste of weekend. Wish I would have known I needed the antenna adapter. Lol I didn't see anyone here mention it and assumed it had the normal plug lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
all finished, took off work friday and figured I'd make it a 3 day weekend. finish the radio friday and installed my hefty fab alum bumper sat and sun.

Radio is awesome! I tried using car web guru launcher while it looks great it overrides a few things so I went back to the stock launcher. Everything works better then expected!
 
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Top