Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a Atoto A6 Pro (A6Y2721PRB) to replace the stock HU in my new truck. Anyone have any experience with this unit? How does it pair with all the sttering wheel functions and backup cameras? Any harnesses I need to get it to work?

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
5,558 Posts
For about $50-ish more you can get a recognized brand name head unit with Android Auto from Kenwood, Alpine, etc.

Unless you're about putting some random China brand no idea if it will even last head unit into your truck, then hey - it's your truck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I generally lean towards a JVC Kenwood (blaupunkt not sure they even make them anymore) but its been a while since i bought and installed a new head unit.

Im not sure whats good anymore. I see a bunch of new brands like boss, axcess and whatnot....

I prefer a volume nob... Most of the double dins i see are all touch screens though.

I also never had to worry about wheel control and backkup camera integration...

Just trying to get a grip on what i should be looking for.

Something that doesnt require a bunch of harnesses is a bonus.

·
Premium Member
5,558 Posts
  • Boss tea units are budget brand but they've been around for awhile now
  • Axxess head units are fine; not as good as the major brand names but at least Axxess is a reputable company, they make most of the harnesses/adaptors for aftermarket installs
  • Not sure what you mean by mentioning a volume knob, as that no-name head unit you asked about doesn't have one either.
RE: "Something that doesnt require a bunch of harnesses is a bonus."
- You get what you pay for. If you're hoping for just having to buy one harness and calling it a day while retaining all the factory features then you're out of luck, because that's not gonna happen. Each piece of tech requires an adapter harness of some sort:

1. Main Connections: main power + speaker connection harness
2. Bluetooth hands-free: Axxess NIS32-BT bypass harness OR manual wire splicing
3. Steering wheel controls: Axxess ASWC-1 or similar SWC adapter harness + 3 extra wires
4. Backup camera: Axxess NIS32-SWC or similar backup camera adapter harness
5. USB port: Axxess NISUSB-2 Adapter harness
6. Sirius/XM antenna (if equipped): FAKRA antenna adapter

Every modern vehicle with all of these features requires "a bunch of harnesses". Sure - you can do the simple head unit + 4 speakers installation, but you lose all the other tech.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what you mean by mentioning a volume knob, as that no-name head unit you asked about doesn't have one either.
I just meant I personally like a physical volume knob, but not many double Din units offer that anymore.

I wasn't really sold on the unit I listed, I was just curious if anyone had any experience with it... I'm really just trying to figure out which unit will be the easiest to install and match up the steering controls I would prefer an all in one solution like a maestro type device but crutchfield says it's not compatible... so I guess I'l go with the 6 different harnesses.

·
Premium Member
5,558 Posts
I just meant I personally like a physical volume knob, but not many double Din units offer that anymore.

I wasn't really sold on the unit I listed, I was just curious if anyone had any experience with it... I'm really just trying to figure out which unit will be the easiest to install and match up the steering controls I would prefer an all in one solution like a maestro type device but crutchfield says it's not compatible... so I guess I'l go with the 6 different harnesses.
Most head units with knobs these days are digital anyways so they do nothing when the stereo is "offline".

FYI you're basically working with 2005 technology in your "2019" truck so you have to do more work to get things to happen, as opposed to a lot of the newer 'one plug for everything" tech. From 2005 to now most of the audio stuff is the same, aside from maybe wire colors depending on model year

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
A 'knob' will rob from overall touchscreen dimensions.

Reactions: hooyeah123

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess so... just what I'm used to. I watched a crutchfield video of an Alpine HU that uses a two finger gesture to control volume and skip. Think that's pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
5,558 Posts
Just curious, Are you looking for something specifically with Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My phone is Android based, I would like to use spotify/iheart radio and possibly waze or google maps; either paired/streaming from my phone or mirrored. Is bluetooth only a good choice? The stock HU seems to lose connection a lot. Should I be looking for wifi as well as bluetooth connection?

I'm using an old 120gb ipod classic connected to the 30pin cable right now. It's a bit quirky in my limited experience. It does sound a ton better than the radio reception I get though. I'm not too well versed in this stuff yet, and wanted to get up to speed before going out and buying anything.

·
Premium Member
5,558 Posts
My phone is Android based, I would like to use spotify/iheart radio and possibly waze or google maps; either paired/streaming from my phone or mirrored. Is bluetooth only a good choice? The stock HU seems to lose connection a lot. Should I be looking for wifi as well as bluetooth connection?

I'm using an old 120gb ipod classic connected to the 30pin cable right now. It's a bit quirky in my limited experience. It does sound a ton better than the radio reception I get though. I'm not too well versed in this stuff yet, and wanted to get up to speed before going out and buying anything.
If you want to use Waze/Maps on the head unit screen from your phone (meaning full control on the head unit screen, not just mirroring), then you'll need an Android Auto-compatible head unit.
Likewise if you want to do everything wireless then you'll want a head unit that also has built-in WiFi.
Bluetooth is only meant for audio (music) and hands-free phone calling.

Continue to use Crutchfield as a shopping guide as far as features go.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Still thinking about getting the Atoto A6 Pro?

I have had mine installed since August. It works great and does almost everything I wanted it to. My buddy just ordered one for his Xterra because it is a budget friendly option that offers a lot. I needed to buy the main harness for hooking up the stereo, some hi-lo wires to accomodate the Rockford Fosgate system, and that was it. You can splice in the steering wheel controls very easily. I got it to act like a computer for offroad/overlanding tracking and functions.

My dislikes, and likes are as follows:

Dislikes
  • no accelerometer so Torque cannot read your pitch or tilt while offroad, but I am hoping to find a OBD2 bluetooth reader with one built in
  • the default "theme" is somewhat childish with vibrant colors. There are other options you can download but I havent found anything I like yet.
  • Even with the buttons, and the steering wheel controls, you cannot adjust volume while backing up. I believe you can have it mute volume when in reverse tho now that I think about it
  • You can only record the dashcam.
  • I have the Nissan emblem camera, and it is set up to one of the buttons on the steering wheel, so if I am cresting a hill and cannot see over the hood, I just need to quickly press a button and within a second a video from the front of the truck is showing me what is directly infront of me
  • I get in and hit bluetooth and it starts playing songs from my spotify playlist. You can download the app but you have to start it every time. Using the bluetooth auto plays which is great.
  • I can download almost any android app and use it on the device
  • I can run torque and check out any CEL I get immediately
  • You can program the controls on the steering wheel to do whatever you want
  • I do not have this yet, but you can also get bluetooth TPMS from Atoto which connects to an app on the unit, so when you are filling up air after an offroad trip, you can sit inside and watch the pressures, which is handy in a Canadian winter.
I have many more likes but you get the idea that I am pro Atoto. I am sure there are better options for more money but I am happy with what I have and it was super simple to hook up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
06 Frontier - I installed my Atoto A6 premuim about 18 months ago and love it. Added the backup camera, ordered the Metra dash kit and wiring kit. Very easy install, the camera wiring was a nightmare cause I did it in the winter and running the cables properly took the longest. Wired the camera to a switch I added to the control panel so I can turn it on whenever I want to. The A6 is just like having an Android tablet in your dash, personally I did NOT like any of the standard features that came with the so called name brand head units. They are behind the times and apples to apples feature wise you'd have to pay about 800 to 1000 to get the same options. I can't speak to the steering controls cause mine doesn't have any.

·
Registered
42 Posts
06 Frontier - I installed my Atoto A6 premuim about 18 months ago and love it. Added the backup camera, ordered the Metra dash kit and wiring kit. Very easy install, the camera wiring was a nightmare cause I did it in the winter and running the cables properly took the longest. Wired the camera to a switch I added to the control panel so I can turn it on whenever I want to. The A6 is just like having an Android tablet in your dash, personally I did NOT like any of the standard features that came with the so called name brand head units. They are behind the times and apples to apples feature wise you'd have to pay about 800 to 1000 to get the same options. I can't speak to the steering controls cause mine doesn't have any.
I just ordered an Atoto-A6 for my own 06 Frontier. I had read somewhere that an aftermarket trim kit wasn't necessary so haven't picked one up. do you recall which Metra dash kit you purchased?

I'm going to switch out one of the power outlets for one of these:

My plan is to eventually pick up the oem steering wheel audio controls and install those (stage 2).

·
Registered
63 Posts
ATOTO A6 Pro installed in 08 Nismo.

Dislikes:
WIFI antenna too big
Auto brightness dim levels weird
Due to installation location, lots of glare from sunlight
Sluggish functions (have not checked firmware update)
Stock radio app not very user friendly
Physical buttons feel like it will break soon

Can connect via WIFI tether on cellphone (then connect to Google Maps, Spotify, iHeart Radio, etc)
Connect to Google Maps with Google account, download offline maps and custom off road maps.
Connect via WIFI to home internet to download any Android app
Have Bluetooth connection to the OBD, Torque app (with some time) connects and shows all
Can play downloaded music videos and movies while driving (hehehe)... and videos are pretty clean and clear.
Third party backup camera works perfectly

So, I have not yet completely used all features of the head unit yet. Still exploring.
I personally like the head unit overall, especially the Google Map features when I'm planning offroad trips.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just ordered an Atoto-A6 for my own 06 Frontier. I had read somewhere that an aftermarket trim kit wasn't necessary so haven't picked one up. do you recall which Metra dash kit you purchased?

I'm going to switch out one of the power outlets for one of these:

My plan is to eventually pick up the oem steering wheel audio controls and install those (stage 2).
Well, I looked back at my order and I guess I didn't order the Metra dash kit, just the Metra wire harness. I did order the American International NDK-730 Dash kit.

I don't remember if I could have removed the metal side brackets from the stock radio or not, but with this kit at the cost I just ordered it. Slide on the bezel/frame from the back of the radio, click into place. I had to break/twist off the bottom rear clips. IMO, you might not need the bezel trim piece since I didn't try it without but I do think it would look funny without that attached.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I was just looking at installing the ATOTO A6 Pro , I also want to keep my reverse camera and steering wheel controls.

I heard I cannot use the stock microphone, since there is no adapter so I guess I will run the one that came with it.
I plan on putting the wifi antenna AND GPS antenna, UNDER the dash, no way will be I be ok with it ontop, I did this with my last vehicle and zero issues.
hope it still works with this one.

Question, what would I need to order exactly to get all of this working? I plan on getting a front camera too!

so..

Wire harness.
trim adapter
steeringwheel control module? wires ?
reverse camera adapter?

Really just need help with those bottom 4 things.

thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Use Crutchfield or Metra/Scosche sites for all your install part # and to verify year/make/model match. I usually do that, get my parts listed, search the interwebs for best price/avail/etc and then order. I got my A6, trim kit, wire harness, backup camera, toggle switch all from Amazon. They have finally gotten the return part as easy as can be, so I have zero worries about ordering from them.
Here are some pics of my antenna setup, I put my GPS on the passenger side, just right of the radio and just above the glove box. It's the metal tube or dash frame (pic see the GPS Signal results). The other is the Wifi antenna and besides sticking it to the glass in the lower pass side front windshield, this was the best place to put it. Use these little 3M clips to hold it in place and it makes for really easy removal if I need to get to the deck again.
A6 GPS test.jpg
A6 Wifi antenna.jpg

1 - 20 of 42 Posts