Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am around 42,000 on the fronty and am wondering when I should replace the pads? For the first time, I started hearing a squeak from on the brakes but I was wondering if that was due to the sand, dirt and water from the weekend. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Can you see through your wheels to see the pad thickness?

If not the best thing to do is remove a wheel and take a look at how much pad thickness is left, anything less than the backing plate thickness and it is time to replace them.

At 42k you may very well need pads, and if the noise you hear is backing plates contacting rotors, you may have to replace those too.

Do not delay, get this looked at quickly, chances are good, the longer you listen to that noise, the more money the job will cost.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Can you see through your wheels to see the pad thickness?

If not the best thing to do is remove a wheel and take a look at how much pad thickness is left, anything less than the backing plate thickness and it is time to replace them.

At 42k you may very well need pads, and if the noise you hear is backing plates contacting rotors, you may have to replace those too.

Do not delay, get this looked at quickly, chances are good, the longer you listen to that noise, the more money the job will cost.

What he said!

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
yup just check them out
I have 83000 miles on my 06 still on Factory brakes front and rear
Damn, i know i changed mine at about 43k

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
i need to change mine out, the fronts are sqealling really loud driving at 2-30 mph lol

·
Registered
923 Posts
when your truck dosnt stop anymore! sorry umm idk when ever the other guys said its best i didnt even read the thread just liked the name..

·
Registered
271 Posts
And check them youself. Don't trust the stealerships to be honest about brakes. Times are tough and work is slow. You WILL be ripped off when it comes to gravy work. I replaced the front brakes on my brothers 02 civic last fall at 96K, and the stealership had been saying they were bad for a year. When I changed them they still had a good 5K worth of pad left easy! He does a lot of highway driving and barely uses the brakes....

·
Registered
690 Posts
Make sure you check the inner pad. That squeak is most likely coming from the right front wheel. The inner pad has a piece of metal on it that scrapes once the pad is low enough. I just did front pads at 46K.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I have around 70k on my rears, ruined my front pads and rotors in some knarly caustic mud at around 30k

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i went 52k on the front brakes, still have the original rears, but they are due to be replaced right now (at about 62k)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Why anyone would pay (I've seen $300-500+ for fronts alone) to replace disk brakes is beyond me. Pads for just about any application can be had for $50 or less. and it takes about 30 minute's per side if you're dragging your feet and the rotors don't need to be turned/replaced. Can be done with minimal hand tools and mechanical ability for a fraction of the price. I can understand people not wanting to get into drum's but I'd never take a car in for routine disk brake service unless its under warranty.

An example of how much shops/dealerships blow up prices on brakes:

I have a '96 ranger work truck. Blew a wheel cylinder on the freeway (pedal to the ground, brakes gone completely). While waiting for a tow I called a few local shops to get quotes. One quoted me ~$50 another ~$130 to replace the wheel cylinders(a $13 part). Next day I called around to find out how much for wheel cylinders and new shoes($20 for both sides). I got anywhere from $300 to $450. Keep in mind replacing wheel cylinder's is a much more in depth process than replacing brake shoe's. It involves not only complete disassembly of the drum but also breaking the hydraulic seal and bleeding the whole system. Throwing new shoe's in while replacing a wheel cylinder requires no additional work but a shop was going to charge me $320 for $20 in parts.

Anyway I ended up taking it apart, found the wheel cylinder was in good condition and blew due to a broken spring, rebuilt the cylinder and replaced the spring and threw on the shoe's and bled the system. $20 total(maybe $20.50 if i didn't have the spring, even if i replaced both wheel cylinders it would have been less than $50) and about an hour and a half of my time as opposed to potentially $450 and three hours waiting for it to get done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts