Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I tried to find threads with tire recommendations but they all seem to be older threads, so I apologize if there are newer threads out there. Last year I bought a 2016 Frontier SV KC and it came with running boards, truck starter, bakflip tonneau cover, custom exhaust, and some great tires. I then traded it in because I need a CC with my new job. I got spoiled with the used truck because it had so many good things on it (I did get the dealer to put in a truck starter :-D). Anyway, the tires the truck came with are not great......I will definitely be changing tires in the fall. I don't know what I had on the old truck, but they had a lot of tread and I loved them. There were a little loud on the highway, but eh it's a truck. I don't go off roading but I do use dirt roads a lot and some highway. It was recommended that I get AT tires I just don't know what brands I should be looking at. If anyone can help that would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
618 Posts
Recommendations on the forum are in this order (one and two are correct, others flip around from time to time, this is from my personal observations)
1) BFG KO2's (well tested, good data, large fan base)
2) Falken Wildpeaks ATw3 (well tested, good data, and positive reviews)
3) Nitto Ridge Grapplers (well tested, good data and positive reviews)
4) General Grabbers AT2
5) Coopers Discoverer AT's (positive reviews)
6) many others that other forum members will recommend (Toyo's(decent), Yokohamas(seen mixed reviews), ECT's)

Personally I'm testing out the Nokian Rotiiva AT's and initial impressions are very positive but I will not recommend due to lack of any long term data.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'd suggest the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. That was my runner-up. There's a long thread on TacomaWorld about them. I went for the Good Year Wrangler Ultra Terrain A/T. I wouldn't suggest those if you drive primarily on the highway. I drive a lot of highway but I also drive where it's damp and muddy. The Ultra Terrains definitely lean more toward the mud-terrain side of the A/T tire spectrum (and hum like mud terrains) whereas the Discoverer AT3 4S lean toward the highway-terrain side of the spectrum.

I wouldn't recommend BFG AT KO2s if you drive where it rains a lot. They are among the best dirt tires out there. However, they absolutely suck in the rain. In heavy rain, I'd rather drive on highway tires with 4/32" tread than brand new BFG A/Ts.

·
Super Moderator
10,987 Posts
I had Hankook DynaPro ATM and they did great in all weather situations. I have BF Goodrich KO2’s on my Jeep, they are quiet on the highway and wear very nicely. Not sure what sizes they come in. I have 315-70-17 in load range C which are the same as on a Ford Raptor. There are many excellent choices out there but I can’t listen to loud tires on the road, I enjoy silence.

Clint

·
Registered
618 Posts
I guess I should have asked, should I be looking at a mud and snow tire or AT?
The answer to that question must be answered by this question, what percentage do you drive on the road?
In the rain? In the snow? Off road, in Mud? or Rocky terrain?

It would be nice if there was a survey with various tire choices as possible answers. Because in all honesty there are hundreds of different tires to choose from and each one has a niche of different jobs/roles they exceed in.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I guess I should have asked, should I be looking at a mud and snow tire or AT?
AT tires are mud and snow tires. Heck, the tires on your truck now are probably mud and snow tires. The only tires that aren't are usually summer tires for cars.

Some AT tires have a 3MPSF rating for severe snow traction. If you live where it's required by law to have 3MPSF tires for winter driving then I'd consider a tire with that rating. But at that point, you might as well get dedicated winter tires which will work way better than any A/T tire at temperatures below freezing and on ice.

Tires make a world of difference, but as @RockMechanic pointed at, you need to determine what your needs are and choose a tire that is suitable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The answer to that question must be answered by this question, what percentage do you drive on the road?
In the rain? In the snow? Off road, in Mud? or Rocky terrain?

It would be nice if there was a survey with various tire choices as possible answers. Because in all honesty there are hundreds of different tires to choose from and each one has a niche of different jobs/roles they exceed in.
Yes, that would be nice to have a survey. I live in New England and we have just about all of that (rain, snow, mud, and some rocky). I think the least for me would be rocky terrain as I don't off road.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yes, that would be nice to have a survey. I live in New England and we have just about all of that (rain, snow, mud, and some rocky). I think the least for me would be rocky terrain as I don't off road.
Typically AT's have better road handling characteristics(though there are Mud+Snow tires that handle pretty dang well, but they are typically more noisy on the road than their A/T counterparts), you will most likely want a 3 peak mountain sever snow service rated tire (that alone will reduce the selection of possibilities). Try and aim for something close to 700 in tread wear, with at least a B for Temperature and a B for Traction.
(on the side of a tire it would be like 640 A B)

Though your best bet is to look at reviews, see what people say on tire sites like discount tire, and tire rack, that will give you opinions from a wider range than even this forum.

Also consider your budget for this, some tires can come with a hefty price tag, so that can help you with your decision.

OK, That's all I have to add on this discussion (not really anything left for me to say), so I will wish you luck on your search!

P.S: stay away from any possible tires you don't recognize the name brand of, it may be a very cheaply made N.Korean tire (I'm 100% convinced China sells N.Korean goods as their own), I have a bit too much experience dealing with those blowing out from old jobs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your help. This was very beneficial to me being able to understand when I'm researching.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also live in New England...Got a new 2019 Frontier a year ago...Tires are great when there is no snow...but feels like Russian Roulette whenever it snows.. We are almost though this winter but next fall I'll be scratching my head again on what to do because I don't put a lot of miles on and tires will still be good...In my experience over the many past years and trucks I've had...I went with the Copper Discoverer AT which were recommended by my trusted independent garage....I have been very happy with them and they will be my go to this time also..I've always been a BF Goodrich fan too...I'm sure all mentioned are a good choice but personally I have a soft spot for the Cooper's... Nice look...nice smooth and quiet ride...good in winter and wear well.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I have the General Grabber A/TXs LT 235/85r16 and they're great. I went with Load E, so they're heavy, but great. Here in the DelMarVa area, ( Maryland ) we've been getting crapped on for about 2 weeks now. The Generals went through icy-snow mix, slush and frozen mush, and heavy rain. Not a single break-away or wheelspin detected. I wish they were a little lighter but other than that, would buy again in a heartbeat. The tread is not real noisy, a small amount of hum, very aggressive block pattern and the sidewalls have cut guard ribbing molded in ( as do most ATs for that matter ) that not only protect the carcass but look aggressive as heck.

Reactions: Keger Jupit

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
75 Posts
For people who have tried multiple AT tires, which of them are as quiet or more quiet than the OEM Hankook Dynapro ATM? I'm more than happy with the performance of them so far and they seem quiet enough on the highway. When it comes time to replace, I'd go for the Dynapro AT2 just because of my positive experience with the ATM, unless one of the popular choices (BFG, Falken, etc.) are more quiet. I'm sure all the popular AT tires are severe snow rated, which is also important for me. Off road performance is not very important for me.

·
Registered
'17 SV 4x4 w/VTP
14 Posts
@RockMechanic said it best. Those are the most popular and any on that list would be a great choice.

I've got to give a shout out to Hankook tires for that number 6 slot. They are don't have the brand recognition like other companies but they make a great tire at a great price. I've have MT2s on my truck for almost a year now and have been very impressed with their on road performance for a mud terrain. They handle rain as well as any other tire. I spent 5 hours on a rainy interstate drive at night and they gripped the whole time through heavy downpours and ponding. They also proved themselves in the recent snow and ice was well. They tackled the icy hills in my area without issue. Off-road in the rocks dirt and mud they do their thing like a boss.

If I were in the market for an AT tire I would be looking at the Hankook AT2s. Especially if you're in a wet climate.

·
Registered
2013 S 4X4 CCSB 2" lift General Grabber ATx
49 Posts
I have the General Grabber A/TXs LT 235/85r16 and they're great. I went with Load E, so they're heavy, but great. Here in the DelMarVa area, ( Maryland ) we've been getting crapped on for about 2 weeks now. The Generals went through icy-snow mix, slush and frozen mush, and heavy rain. Not a single break-away or wheelspin detected. I wish they were a little lighter but other than that, would buy again in a heartbeat. The tread is not real noisy, a small amount of hum, very aggressive block pattern and the sidewalls have cut guard ribbing molded in ( as do most ATs for that matter ) that not only protect the carcass but look aggressive as heck.
+1 on the ATx. I live in Oregon, & they have been terrific. They replaced a set of KO2's & are much better in the rain. Lots of steep, gravelly fire & logging roads here. They just shrug it off & roll.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts