Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Which would you pick for non-lifted 4WD?

• Hankook ATm LT265/70R16 D-8ply

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Cooper AT3 LT265/70R16 C-6ply

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Hankook ATm P265/70R16

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Hankook ATm P265/75R16

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Firestone Destination AT P265/70R16

Votes: 6 14.0%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2016 Crew Cab, which came with Hankook all-season tires. While there was nothing "wrong" with them, I wanted ATs, so I drove straight to the tire store to swap them out. At their recommendation, I put on a set of Wrangler Adventure 265/70R16.

Unfortunately, the shop is having problems with their balancing machine, so even after two attempts, they haven't been able to get rid of the vibration. But aside from that, I really don't like these tires. While the balance may contribute to it, even at lower speeds, the tires feel "jittery"; almost like you can feel each block hit the road, and get skittish with any road irregularities.

So, for those running the stock size on non-lifted Frontiers, what have ou had success with? While this is my 1st Frontier, I've driven several 4WD vehicles, and several different AT tires over the years, and have never had a tire I disliked this much. It seems most members on this forum are up-sizing and/or lifting their trucks; has anyone found a good AT for a stocker?

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I second the k02's the are great on mine

Reactions: Justwork

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
There is a lot of information missing here...

1. 2WD or 4WD?

2. Are you going off road or not?

3. Do you tow anything?

If your truck came with the Hankook Dynapro ATm and assuming you still have those tires, put them back on and return the Goodyears. If they are actually 'All Season' tires as you stated consider buying a set of the ATm's.

Hankook Dynapro ATm RF10

These are EXCELLENT tires that wear like iron, are very quiet, have great grip, work well in everything except mud and are very reasonably priced. At 52000 miles my last set on my Frontier were only 1/2 worn!

Get them in 265/75-16 and you will correct the speedometer error caused by the 265/70-16's and gain about 1/4" of ground clearance. The truck was originally calibrated with the larger size, so going with the stock size from the PRO4X model will correct the speedo. They will fit without any modifications.

Choosing the correct tire for your use will depend on the answers to those 3 questions above. The tires are available in P and LT ratings and will handle differently depending on which model you choose due to differences in ply rating and load index.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems I really was too tired when I posted this... my apologies for lack of detail and clarity. To fill in the blanks...

-Truck is a 4WD SV Crew Cab, short bed;
-Stock tires were Dynapro HT all-season;
-I didn't go with BFG simply due to cost.
-I initially put 265/75R16 GY on, but went back to 70s because the 75s seemed to take more gas pedal to pull hills and increased stopping distances.

-Driving is predominantly on road, with just enough off-road that all-season is not enough, but mud tires are not necessary. We do get heavy rain at times, and usually a couple of ice/snow events annually. Less than 10,000 miles/year, so my tires usually dry rot before the tread wears out.

-Infrequent towing; small utility trailer, typically under 1,000 pounds.
-No need for LT tires; P works fine for me.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
44 Posts
General Grabber AT2. Best bang for your dollar imo. Great grip in all conditions. You should have a look at some online reviews.

Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
General Grabber AT2. Best bang for your dollar imo. Great grip in all conditions. You should have a look at some online reviews.

Good luck!
I have these tires. Only had the truck for a couple of months so far, 09 SE 4x4, and find them to be a good tire except for sticky mud and haven't had snow yet.

Sassle

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have these tires. Only had the truck for a couple of months so far, 09 SE 4x4, and find them to be a good tire except for sticky mud and haven't had snow yet.

Sassle
I had them on another truck. We get a lot of snow around here in the winter and they were really good. I will probably buy them again when I need new tires.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Falken a/t3w .. I was going to go with these, but discount tire had them on back order in the size I wanted. They are a relatively new tire, but all their reviews i've seen/read have been great.

·
Registered
2015 CC SL 4x4 - Lear Cap.
231 Posts
Man love those Falkens, but right now I run BFG AT on my 15 4xcc and I love them, smooth quite ride, work good on wet roads, only tried them on dirt roads, but are real nice, zero complaints

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got a set of Yokohama Geolander A/T-S on mine. I got them back in February of 2013 and have about 41k miles on them. Tread still looks to be in great shape though I can start to hear a little more road noise these days. Can't complain about them.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
my vote is for BFGoodrich T/A KO2s, 265/75-16, ran them for about 2 months at stock height, no issues with balancing - even after a couple of off-road adventures.

Keep in mind that, like BCBrian said, the ply and load rating will change the feel of the tire on paved roads. These aren't going to be soft, noise-reducing passenger tire feel... you will get more road feedback because A/Ts are generally thicker/stiffer (to handle the rough stuff).

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'll second (or third or fourth) the Hankook Dynapro AT-M tires. I've had a set for about two months at 265/75 size. They're just as quiet as the stockers I took off; they'll look a little stuffed under the fenders, but there was no rubbing for me. Haven't taken them off road or in bad weather yet, but they've got to be better than the dry-rotted tires I replaced!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I got 5th on the Hankook ATMs, $650 after rebate from my Local Discount tire for P275/65r18.. Great tire, I've ran LTXs, Duelers, BFGs but tired of paying the toll. These will be my goto tires from here on out.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
***Update***

First, thanks for all the replies.

The tire shop determined that all four tires were out-of-round, so they installed a new set, with a different tech, with a different balancer. Here's what I know...

1. This set is correctly balanced, and the associated vibration is gone.
2. With the vibration gone, I can feel just how stiff these tires are... is in some jolts actually cause the windows to vibrate (same road surfaces the stock tires were fine on) .

What I don't know is if I should expect a different AT, such as the Hankook ATM, to ride better. Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'll second (or third or fourth) the Hankook Dynapro AT-M tires. I've had a set for about two months at 265/75 size. They're just as quiet as the stockers I took off; they'll look a little stuffed under the fenders, but there was no rubbing for me. Haven't taken them off road or in bad weather yet, but they've got to be better than the dry-rotted tires I replaced!
Thanks,

How did the ride (stiffness, etc) compare to the stockers? Also, did you notice any difference in braking distance, acceleration, when pulling hills, etc?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Those Falkens that Travhale posted look like a solid A/T.
In your original post, you mentioned your distaste for an unsettled ride...so check out the wrangler duratracs, but keep in mind that the tread blocks are large and widely spaced. Theyll give excellent traction, but likely, a less smooth ride.

Btw, the stiffness might be due to kevlar in your tires. Goodyear offers that in some tires for sidewall durability.

Another recommendation is the Firestone Destination A/T. I put about 40000 on them and the traction was excellent in rain, snow, and light trail useage.

After 40000, the remaining tread depth made snow driving and stopping somewhat unpredictable. Also, the sidewalls dont hold up very well to rock abrasions...if you do decide to run more challenging trails

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks,

How did the ride (stiffness, etc) compare to the stockers? Also, did you notice any difference in braking distance, acceleration, when pulling hills, etc?
Whatever difference is negligible. My old ones were pretty far gone and needed to be replaced. Honestly, I'm surprised that I made it through the winter with them safely. Fortunately, 4wd makes up for a lot of traction on slick roads and parking lots. As for off-road manners, I'm going to have nothing else to compare to. I learned my lessons years ago about taking a bone-stock truck off the paved road.

·
Premium Member
6,454 Posts
First, thanks for all the replies.

The tire shop determined that all four tires were out-of-round, so they installed a new set, with a different tech, with a different balancer. Here's what I know...

1. This set is correctly balanced, and the associated vibration is gone.
2. With the vibration gone, I can feel just how stiff these tires are... is in some jolts actually cause the windows to vibrate (same road surfaces the stock tires were fine on) .

What I don't know is if I should expect a different AT, such as the Hankook ATM, to ride better. Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.
What PSI are the tires at? There is a high chance the tire shop sent you out the door with them aired up way too high.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Like a lot I've said, BFG KO2's. These are great on road, good enough off road, and terrific in snow. I've had BFG all terrains on all my suv's and trucks. I've never been disappointed. It's true the cost is a factor but for me it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts