Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure I want a cover for my bed. My budget is around $300, but if there was something sensational I might go to $500. I don't think I like the idea of tri fold types since it appears I won't get it folded out of the way that last third where the bed meets the cab, but convince me otherwise?
I want something that's securely attached and easy to get out of the way. I see there's a ton of options, and that is freezing me to inaction.
Are you happy with the fit, durability and ease of use of yours? Is Gator the brand to go after? Do some flap about more than others?

Choice is a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I had an Ionic Roll-Up Cover on my Frontier for 2 years and it worked very well. It was a little under $300. Only reason that I took it off was to switch to a Softopper.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I bought the Gator SFX trifold last summer for my '19 Frontier. This has been my only tonneau cover, my last three trucks had toppers. Link in this thread of mine-
Gator trifold tonneau, with or without Utilitrack system?

My only gripe with this tonneau is that the tailgate end of it freezes itself (the rubber weather seal gasket, ironically) to the top of the tailgate in bad winter weather (snow, etc.). This makes opening the tailgate impossible- I'd damage the tailgate handle before breaking the frozen seal. I need to get a plastic putty knife to keep in the cab so I have some hope of breaking the ice seal so I can drop the gate.

I'll give it the winter. If I don't grow to accept this, I'm going to shop for a topper. This has been my limited experience, I don't know if other makes or styles of tonneaus are prone to this. It is a non-issue if you live in a non-snow region.

Reactions: Mini_42

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is the Gator ETX and I’m very happy with it. Easy to install and it looks great. I’ve had Extang on other trucks and the quality of the Gator is at least as good.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My only gripe with this tonneau is that the tailgate end of it freezes itself (the rubber weather seal gasket, ironically) to the top of the tailgate in bad winter weather (snow, etc.). This makes opening the tailgate impossible- I'd damage the tailgate handle before breaking the frozen seal. I need to get a plastic putty knife to keep in the cab so I have some hope of breaking the ice seal so I can drop the gate.
Have you tried occasionally spritzing the gasket with silicone lubricant?

There are also some ridiculously slick Teflon greases out there...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Have you tried occasionally spritzing the gasket with silicone lubricant?

There are also some ridiculously slick Teflon greases out there...
I've been reluctant to apply any sort of lubricant because a lube on the gasket means lube spread on the top edge of the tailgate, which means lube on my hands and any clothing that comes in contact with the gate top edge. And lube residue spread onto the cover itself from the folding process.

The times that the cover gasket has frozen itself to the lightly textured plastic tailgate top edge, even rapping my hand down on top the cover frame member has not managed to break the frozen bond. Sunlight exposure or above-freezing temps are the only things to break the bond. Once I can open the gate again, there will be a full length strip of ice crust left behind on the plastic tailgate top edge that I'll have to scrape off, ice that was molded to the weather gasket on the tonneau cover.

I'm always careful to clear away snow that has fallen on my truck, in particular at the tailgate area, but snow and melt water wick into the joint during driving, it can't be prevented.

Reactions: Mini_42

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a MaxMate roll-up tonneau on my 2019 SV. $169 on Amazon. Installed in under an hour and fits like a glove.The cross members are incorporated into the top, so it rolls up straight and goes back down evenly. The velcro releases and connects to the frame perfectly.

I live in the Northeast and have personally have had no issues with the top freezing to the tailgate, but I can see how this would happen. My problem is the tailgate itself freezes to the box, so I keep a spray bottle of extra strength de-icer in the cab for dealing with this.

My buddy has a Tacoma with a factory 3-piece tonneau. Its very heavy and to not have full open access to 1/3 of the bed from time to time is pretty inconvenient. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I know everyone is hanging off the edge of their chair waiting, and the decision is in! I'm going with the Tyger T1 soft roll one. It was a balance of price and functionality. I will order it shortly. Anyone have a coupon code with Tyger Auto? :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm going to buy one soon, looks like I'll go Truxedo Truxport for price/value. MaxMate looks fine also, for $120 less. Hmm....

Reactions: SupraGZdoc

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I just ordered it. I was getting close to pulling the trigger on Amazon, but when I saw $15 sales tax added it made it $204. Then I thought in your face Jeff Bezos, and bought it from TygerAuto.com with no tax and free shipping, for $189. Maybe I should have called? Done now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can’t wait to see it!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got notification it was shipped today. Looking forward to it. And looking forward to getting the Fronty back; it's at the dealer's getting a tow hitch installed.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Congrats...I also just went through this whole process of figuring out which soft tonneau to buy. I really wanted the canvas material instead of the shiny vinyl so my choices were limited. It came down to a choice between the Extang trifecta 2.0 signature series which is a trifold and the Truxedo pro-x15 which is a rollup. Both seemed very well engineered and relatively easy to install. I've had a rollup before but never a trifold.

After lots and lots of studying I ended up getting a great deal on the Extang for $400 shipped which kinda helped sway me on the decision. Best I could do on the Truxedo was $490 shipped. Pulled the trigger today on it so should have it in about 2-3 days...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I figure I want a cover for my bed. My budget is around $300, but if there was something sensational I might go to $500. I don't think I like the idea of tri fold types since it appears I won't get it folded out of the way that last third where the bed meets the cab, but convince me otherwise?
I want something that's securely attached and easy to get out of the way. I see there's a ton of options, and that is freezing me to inaction.
Are you happy with the fit, durability and ease of use of yours? Is Gator the brand to go after? Do some flap about more than others?

Choice is a bad thing.
Tri-Fold for me.
Gator ETX Soft Tri-Fold
Works better than roll-up. It totally removes in 1 minute, if worried about the last section at the cab. No rails to run like a rollup.
Here is Amazon link for mine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I11U230/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I see a "used" one for $137.00. But it, can't go wrong at that price. Don't like it, send it back.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the seat in my P4X has an issue with the knob on the side; it doesn't work. It's been at the dealer's since Tuesday morning while waiting for a new seat to arrive. I probably could have fixed the old one in under 2 hours. Meanwhile, I've been driving their brand new Rogue around. It had 9 miles on it when I picked it up; it's now got close to 300 on it. I feel bad about that and asked them if they wanted it back yesterday because I was racking up the miles. They said nah you're good. So far I've found the ABS works well. So do the auto brakes when reversing quickly. It's covered in salt from the roads.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had my truxedo lopro for like 2 years - picked it up for around 350 on amazon (new). Love it - zero issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts