Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this truck a couple weeks ago. Had it looked over by a local mechanic shop and a full diagnostic at the Nissan Dealer. Nissan dealer said i need new timing chains and guides. My local shop said it wasn't the chains. They just looked it over and said they would need to do a full diagnostic but they didn't think the noise was from the chains. Nissan has me at 2400 for chains, water pump and radiator...guess i should have done a little more research on these frontiers:frown:

What does this sound like to you all? Its a 2006 4.0 auto with 75k miles. Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
It could be chains. It's hard to tell from a You Tube clip. It'll be a "whining noise" similar to an old Ford power steering pump on its way out. I could understand where a shop that is not familiar with the noise could find it difficult to believe that it's a chain noise as most usually associate "rattling" with bad chains. Average cost for an independent shop to do the repair is usually around $1200-1400, but that's to do the repair as per the Nissan TSB and doesn't include "extras" like the primary chain and primary chain tensioner, water pump, thermostat, chain guides, radiator, etc. Once the secondary chains and tensioner faces are replaced, it should never be an issue again. It was caused by a poor stamping of the upper chain links by worn dies, which end up cutting through the plastic tensioner faces.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts