Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 06 xe frontier 4 cyl. As i understand it this thing has the same engine as the 2.5 altima but the altima puts out 175 hp. what did nissan do different and can it be done the the frontier. My last vehicle was a crew cab titan so i am going into hp shock.
Before anybody makes any rude comments i traded because my gas bill was over 500.00 a month and could no longer afford it. :cry:

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Yeah i hear ya on the gas bill,thats 1 of the reasons i didn't get a Titan.2 was trying to park it. :( Most HP gains are done thru Computer mapping,timing,intake & exhaust design & the way they tune it for that model.

·
Registered
320 Posts
i would venture to say the ecu is different, as well as the cam profile.
possibly the compression ratio too.

header/intake design would also be alittle different since they are in different chasis.

if you can dig up a link to the specs, itd be alittle asier to tell you where hp was lost/gained :)

i think there is a user named inifintitech (or similar) on this board that is a nissan/inifinity tech.
might be worng bu i could have sworn i read a post with someone saying that.

good luck

·
Banned
410 Posts
its all about how the nissan tunes... im a little washed up right now but the frontier engine is in one of the other SUV's but im pretty sure im not talking about the xterra.. but anyway one has 270 hp insted of 265 like the frontier. they do this to help with the weight and give it bascially the same pull. its just all in how they tune. if you knew how to program the ECU and all that crap you coudl prob pull 300hp easy out of the stock engine.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Have you compared the torque ratings of the Frontier and the Altima? I'm betting the Frontier is tuned to maximize the torque output being as it's a truck and meant to haul stuff, where as the Altima, being a car, is tuned more for performance. As others have mentioned, there are a lot of different variables that play into this equasion!

The Pathfinder has 270 HP and I think it puts out more torque as well. But it also weighs a good bit more than the Frontier, so I'm sure it was tuned to maintain the crisp feel of the Frontier and Xterra which both are rated at 265 HP. If they didn't, the Pathfinder would feel much more sluggish than either the Frontier or Xterra, and Nissan wants to maintain their reputation for making performance oriented vehicles!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
Have you compared the torque ratings of the Frontier and the Altima? I'm betting the Frontier is tuned to maximize the torque output being as it's a truck and meant to haul stuff, where as the Altima, being a car, is tuned more for performance. As others have mentioned, there are a lot of different variables that play into this equasion!

The Pathfinder has 270 HP and I think it puts out more torque as well. But it also weighs a good bit more than the Frontier, so I'm sure it was tuned to maintain the crisp feel of the Frontier and Xterra which both are rated at 265 HP. If they didn't, the Pathfinder would feel much more sluggish than either the Frontier or Xterra, and Nissan wants to maintain their reputation for making performance oriented vehicles!

torque specs are within 5 lbs of each other.

·
SHIFT_Otaku(Assist - Adm)
1,482 Posts
more than likely it is the same block, but a different bore and stroke.

truck == more torque

car == more HP

I am a torque junkie anyways...

HP is topend...

Torque gets you to topend...

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
tc3driver said:

truck == more torque

car == more HP

HP is topend...

After seeing the word stroke,it reminded me of what my salesman told me about the engine.He said that how they came up with the 4.0 was they bored & stroked the 3.5 block.He said that the 4.0 is the same block thats in all the V6 engines that they use.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Frontier2 said:
tc3driver said:

truck == more torque

car == more HP

HP is topend...

After seeing the word stroke,it reminded me of what my salesman told me about the engine.He said that how they came up with the 4.0 was they bored & stroked the 3.5 block.He said that the 4.0 is the same block thats in all the V6 engines that they use.
the VQ is the next generation of nissan blocks.
350 has the VQ35 (3.5 liter) as well as ALOT of other nissan/infinity vehicles.
fronty - vq40 (4.0 liter), the pathfinder, the xterra also have this engine.

im sure the titan and armada have the same motor.

i would also agree that the ecu, once hacked will be the easiest place to gain power.
maybe someone will come out with a obd2 flasher for your trucks.
until it woul be cool to swap a pathfinder ecu in and see what happens :)

·
SHIFT_Otaku(Assist - Adm)
1,482 Posts
Kelly said:
the VQ is the next generation of nissan blocks.
350 has the VQ35 (3.5 liter) as well as ALOT of other nissan/infinity vehicles.
fronty - vq40 (4.0 liter), the pathfinder, the xterra also have this engine.

im sure the titan and armada have the same motor.

i would also agree that the ecu, once hacked will be the easiest place to gain power.
maybe someone will come out with a obd2 flasher for your trucks.
until it woul be cool to swap a pathfinder ecu in and see what happens :)
something about that scares me....

XD

more I can think of about 10~15 more things that the pathfinder's ecu could be monitering...

I would guess it would be an instant SES (it will take me a while to adjust from CEL to SES)...

but if I find a pathfinder in a junk yard after some poor soul totals it, I'll see what I can do with it...

buh bye warrenty XD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts