Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to change my pads and can't decide between OEM Nissan ($90), Autozone Ceramic ($59) or Autozone Semi-Metallic ($20). Are the OEMs Ceramic? What makes them worth $80? Will the AutoZone Ceramic brake stop better then the $90 OEMs? Will ceramic pads eat the rotors?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ceramic pads should be easier on the rotor from what I have read. The semi-metallic pads have more metal in them than the others, causing higher temperatures and heat, thereby increasing the risk of warping and an increase in the wear of the rotor. However, most people will report that ceramic pads will lead to a decrease in braking ability; not anything to freak out about, but certainly something to adjust to. I recently changed the brakes on my wife's Quest, which is notorious for its undersized front rotors and magnificent ability to destroy the brakes and rotors in less than a year. We put 8k miles on the van when we got it used before I had to do a complete brake job (turn rotors, replace pads). Less than 12k miles later, I just swapped the rotors out for the Cryo-Stops from Tirerack and set of ceramic pads from O'Rielly. I can tell there is a difference in the stopping. Again, most data shows an extra 10-15 feet added stopping distance from higher speeds.

As to why an OEM pad is so expensive, typical dealer markup.

In summary, you will probably find less wear and tear to your braking system with a ceramic pad over a semi-metallic, but not likely an increase in performance if you are sticking with the stock rotor.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
i don't think the OEM's are ceramic. If you want the same reliable performance you've had, go with the more expensive OEM. Shop around you'll prolly find OEM's cheaper than $80. I went with OEM, on the 2006 frontier. On my 2001 ranger i choose Pepboys pro stop premium semi-metallic, $40, and they work great.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I dont know if the Aussie Navara runs different pads to the Fronty but I swapped out my factory pads with Ceramic pads from Hawke Racing and there was a big difference. Better stopping times and a much better feel on the pad.Not to mention my polished alloy wheels dont turn black in a heartbeat.
Now as I said not sure if thre Frointier and Navara run the same OEM brake compound but I know there are a few Navara drivers that have changed to Ceramics and they all show similar results.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have 94,300 miles on my OEM pads on my 2005 NISMO KC 2WD. Had the tires rotated today and still have plenty of pad left. What's the most miles anyone has gotten out of the OEM pads?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I dont know if the Aussie Navara runs different pads to the Fronty but I swapped out my factory pads with Ceramic pads from Hawke Racing and there was a big difference. Better stopping times and a much better feel on the pad.Not to mention my polished alloy wheels dont turn black in a heartbeat.
^+1 on the Hawks.. I use the LTS(ferro-carbon) pads; woke up the stock braking for sure.

I took out the OE pads around 15k cuz they sucked..

·
Registered
49 Posts
ceramic vs. semi-metallic

Did some quick research on the net about this. Interesting, lots of conflicting information. Some resources say ceramic last longer, some say semi-metallic. Some say ceramic runs cooler, some say semi-metallic keeps the rotors cooler. Some say ceramic is harder on rotors, some say the opposite. Seems like there is conflicting information on just about every benefit/drawback, except that the ceramic dust is less noticeable.

From the post below, my question would be, has anyone contacted Nissan or a dealer and found out if ceramic pads are or aren't recommended?

Post from http://www.handymanxchange.com

"Ceramic pads still cause dust, it's just not black so you can't see it. Besides the lack of black dust, ceramic pads have several benefits that make them worth the extra cost. Here is a snippet from this ARTICLE that discusses the advantages of installing ceramic pads and other brake issues with your vehicle:

Keith Reinhardt wrote:

'Although first introduced as far back as 1985 on some new vehicles, mass after-market applications for ceramic-based disc brake pads are just now becoming widely available. Approximately 33 percent of all new vehicles, domestic and foreign combined, now have ceramic-based disc brake pads. The newest generation of ceramic brake lining compounds contain no chopped steel fibers or steel wool as found in earlier semi-metallic linings, but instead substitute ceramic compounds and copper fibers. These changes provide modern ceramic-based lining materials the capability of handling today's high brake temperatures with less heat fade, faster recovery time, and less wear on both the pads and rotors.'

Of even more value to brake repair facilities is the ability of ceramic lining compounds to significantly reduce annoying brake noise or squeal, which is the No. 1 consumer complaint relating to brake service. Ceramic compounds dampen noise and move brake pad vibrations to a frequency outside of our human hearing range, 20 Hz through 20,000 Hz. As with earlier disc brake pad designs, some ceramic pad applications may also incorporate other noise-reducing features such as chamfers, slots and insulator shims. One leading after-market manufacturer has gone as far as naming its line of ceramic brake pads "Quiet Stop."

Another positive characteristic associated with ceramic brake lining materials is the absence of visible brake dust, a feature that any vehicle owner with stylish wheels will appreciate. All brake materials, ceramic included, will produce some brake dust. Earlier semi-metallic and organic brake compounds left a brownish black dust on wheels. In comparison, ceramic compounds produce a light-colored dust that is much less noticeable and does not attach itself to wheels.

Although an increase in product cost will more than likely be associated with ceramic-based brake linings, their benefits may be worthwhile for consumers. Based on their own durability tests, lining manufacturers say these compounds will outlast most other premium pad materials by a considerable margin. However, after-market brake pads with ceramic materials should only be used on those applications where the OEM specified a similar formula.

Additionally, you may hear (or see, if online) complaints about poor stopping power with cold brakes. This is typically true about older ceramic pads and ceramic pads designed for racing, but today's consumer grade ceramic pads have great stopping power. In fact about 33% of new vehicle today come stock with ceramic pads. What is important though is that car's rotors are designed for ceramic pads, otherwise the rotors will typically wear faster. Check with the vehicle manufacturer about this."

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
IMO.. pads/rotors are disposable. When I want to stop I want to STOP NOW; longevity is 2nd to stopping power.
I highly recommend Hawk LTS or EBC Yellows with some slotted rotors.

Low dust on a wheel is only nice when you can stop in time for them to be seen.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I got 133,000 and some change out of the stock pads and they still had a little life in the front, the rear was barely worn. The stock pads suck though. I replaced all of them with ceramic pads from O'Reilly's and it's the best pads I have ever bought.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
After changing from OEM to cross drilled/slotted rotors on my wife's Spec-V, the OEM pads would fade on mountain roads. I went with Hawks on the front and they made a huge difference.
OEM pads and rotors are designed to work together. Another option would be to upgrade the rotors and get matching pads like EBC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I only have 28,500 on my '07 Frontier Crew Cab and had to replace my front pads and turn the rotors. I was getting a severe shimmy and steering wheel shake on braking. I took it to the local Nissan dealer because it was still under warranty but they told me it wasn't covered. In my opinion, 28,500 is premature for brake wear. Anyway, I didn't want to waste my time with the warranty crap and went ahead and did them myself. I put ceramic pads from Advance Auto on them. I've only been driving with them for a few days so the jury is still out on how good they are. According to Advance Auto's cash register computer the pads I bought are OEM replacement pads.

That's my 2 cents.

Cheers,
NISFRONT

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I only have 28,500 on my '07 Frontier Crew Cab and had to replace my front pads and turn the rotors. I was getting a severe shimmy and steering wheel shake on braking. I took it to the local Nissan dealer because it was still under warranty but they told me it wasn't covered. In my opinion, 28,500 is premature for brake wear. Anyway, I didn't want to waste my time with the warranty crap and went ahead and did them myself. I put ceramic pads from Advance Auto on them. I've only been driving with them for a few days so the jury is still out on how good they are. According to Advance Auto's cash register computer the pads I bought are OEM replacement pads.

That's my 2 cents.

Cheers,
NISFRONT
I have to say less then 30k seems too soon but you have to remember, out brakes are not performance ones and if you drive the truck hard, you tend to use the brakes hard and thus the warped rotor and worn pads. I have just over 53k on the OEM set-up but I did a bunch of hwy or else they would have been replaced already.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Premature brake wear

I have to say less then 30k seems too soon but you have to remember, out brakes are not performance ones and if you drive the truck hard, you tend to use the brakes hard and thus the warped rotor and worn pads. I have just over 53k on the OEM set-up but I did a bunch of hwy or else they would have been replaced already.

I bought my truck used about 6 months ago. It had just about 21,000 miles on it. I'm not a brake rider but I do use it to run emergency calls as a volunteer firefighter. Running at higher than normal speeds on winding roads I will have to brake a little harder than normal at times. In fact, I first noticed the steering wheel shake when I braked to a stop at a mobile home fire. I thought the steering wheel was going to come out of my hands. That's when I decided I needed to do something about the problem. I was running calls in my old D21 until I sold it with no brake problems. Of course it had discs in the front and drums in the rear. In my opinion the Frontier has inferior brake components because 30,000 miles between brake jobs is unacceptable.

:bonvoyage:

cheers,
NISFRONT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.