Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlights use the high beams as daytime running light but are dimmer compared to the high beams. Is it possible to use the LED bulbs in Frontiers with this set up. I’m assuming that PWM is being use. Will a led bulb have issues?

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (22,000km)
291 Posts
By default (like the Katana), no...they do not have DRL functionality. There are some more expensive ones that do have it if I recall what I saw a few owners found.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My headlights use the high beams as daytime running light but are dimmer compared to the high beams. Is it possible to use the LED bulbs in Frontiers with this set up. I’m assuming that PWM is being use. Will a led bulb have issues?
Most of LED bulbs work with PWM, and a few of them may flicker with PWM.

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (22,000km)
291 Posts
So how do you know which will work? I was thinking of the Kantanas. Will PWM hurt the bulbs over a long period of time?
I have the Katana LED bulbs, and have ZERO DRL functionality...also a Canadian model (and I see you are Canadian).

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
210 Posts
Frontier doesn't have DRL. No lamp you swap in will give you that, it has to be included in the electronics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the Katana LED bulbs, and have ZERO DRL functionality...also a Canadian model (and I see you are Canadian).
So you loose the DRL? I thought there was a capacitor that could be placed in series that would eliminate the PWM and give full high beam with the DRLs.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
So you loose the DRL? I thought there was a capacitor that could be placed in series that would eliminate the PWM and give full high beam with the DRLs.
You lose the DRLs. LEDs won't backfeed and to get the DRL, Nissan used the headlamps in series to run at 6.0 to 6.7v each, there is no pulse width modulation system. Get the wiring from NicoClub and see how the circuit runs. It uses relays to switch the grounding points, hence LEDs, no DRLs.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,995 Posts
Katanas will flicker the DRL on our trucks. I just turn my headlights on every time, they buzz if you leave them on and mine shut off automatically in 10 minutes if left on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You lose the DRLs. LEDs won't backfeed and to get the DRL, Nissan used the headlamps in series to run at 6.0 to 6.7v each, there is no pulse width modulation system. Get the wiring from NicoClub and see how the circuit runs. It uses relays to switch the grounding points, hence LEDs, no DRLs.
what is NicoClub? I’m new here. If the lights are wired in series to achieve the DRLs then it should be simple enough to modify them to a parallel circuit.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
what is NicoClub? I’m new here. If the lights are wired in series to achieve the DRLs then it should be simple enough to modify them to a parallel circuit.
When the headlamps are running in nite / standard mode, they are in parallel. Theoretically it would be possible to add relays and resistors to the headlamp circuit and basically completely rewire it for DRLs, but I just turn on my headlamps in the daytime and everything's fine. Im in US so no mandatory DRLs, I just do it anyway. Am considering rewiring my fogs to be the DRLs, I have Hikari LEDs in them now.

Reactions: Ruggybuggy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When the headlamps are running in nite / standard mode, they are in parallel. Theoretically it would be possible to add relays and resistors to the headlamp circuit and basically completely rewire it for DRLs, but I just turn on my headlamps in the daytime and everything's fine. Im in US so no mandatory DRLs, I just do it anyway.
I’ll figure it out when I get back from my vacation. I’m a just retired Toyota tech and bought the Nissan when I sold my 2020 Tundra for more than I paid for it. The Frontier is a bridge vehicle while I wait for the 2022 Tundra to come out but I’m kind of liking the Frontier.

·
Registered
409 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts