Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Would you be willing to purchase a self-driving truck?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that the Federal DOT is or will be considering issuing manufacturer guidelines in the not too distant future for car and truck companies to begin a process to add more automated radar/GPS systems to motor vehicles to help reduce injuries and to conserve fuel and reduce emissions. In other words, vehicles that can navigate on their own in traffic. How would you feel if the only truck you could purchase was a self driving truck? The poll question is:"Yes, I would be willing to purchase a self-driving truck." or "No, I would not be willing to purchase a self-driving truck." You can state your reasons for either answer in a comment. I thought this might be interesting.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I voted "No" on this poll as I have enough things/people in my life that control me. God, please don't take away my right to drive myself where ever I want to go.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I wouldn't want it full time, but long trips would be nice to be able to sit back and take a nap. lol

Reactions: Oldchief

·
Registered
936 Posts
This is actually pretty insulting. For the federal government to take the initiative and say, You're too stupid to properly drive a car, so, we're going to make one that drives for you. This is partly the problem with the degeneration of society we see today. Responsibility is no longer a virtue. Think about cars that can parallel park themselves, wow what a great feature right? No, how bout making people LEARN TO PARALLEL PARK! Wow, blindspot and side traffic alerts.. auto braking "when you can't". Seriously?! Pay ATTENTION and you won't NEED blindspot/side traffic alerts. The government and the entire product market is making it too easy for people to be stupid. But, thats what they want. A dumbed down society that's ripe for the taking. There's also something else more evil lurking behind the glitz of these "convenience/safety" features.. check this out:

Hacking a car is way too easy - Salon.com

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I voted yes.

This initiative is not insulting. Part of the reason for an autonomous system would be to allow commuters to drive in "trains" - drivers could speed along to work in long groups of cars that are essentially bumper-to-bumper which would allow greater capacity on existing roads and much shorter commute times for many folks. It would also likely improve fuel efficiency.

I doubt that these systems would ever totally eliminate or prevent one from piloting their vehicle themselves.

It's easy to say that everyone should just pay attention while driving, however, while 90% of men consider themselves to be above average drivers reality shows otherwise.

·
Registered
69 Posts
They can develop the best vehicle ever for this, but I will not release the controls for myself.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
If one of these self controlled vehicles malfunctions and kills a family member - who is at fault, the car, the non driver, the manufacture, or maybe a hacker!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
They can develop the best vehicle ever for this, but I will not release the controls for myself.
If these systems do eventually come into existence (and I believe they will) then it may be that on some highways, at some stretches, at some times, under certain conditions, the "hive mind" may automatically take control of your vehicle.

So there may be sections of highways you'll just have to avoid. :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Id use it after drinking all day at Crystal beach to get me back home in Houston.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If these systems do eventually come into existence (and I believe they will) then it may be that on some highways, at some stretches, at some times, under certain conditions, the "hive mind" may automatically take control of your vehicle.

So there may be sections of highways you'll just have to avoid. :)

I very much agree. They have these with several companies. The advantage is, with the legal department, Federal, State. County and City elected officials involved, the cost, planning and any changes needed for the roads to somewhat guarantee some form of safety, and the automotive manufactures investments and concerns .... I do believe it will not happen in my life time. Thank God.

·
Registered
504 Posts
This poll has been around a while but I just found it. I voted "yes" and here is why.

1. There is no way that this could be done without the vehicle having a manual "off switch". That will be true until such time as every road in the nation is set up to handle this...which will not be in my lifetime.

2. Your destination would have to be pre-programed (even if it can be done by voice commands while the vehicle is driving, that's still pre-programmed). There is no way to have the vehicle be able to find every possible destination so precisely that it is possible to be 100% accurate. Even if it can find your local shopping mall, can it find you a parking spot? Sometimes...but just like GPS maps on Garmins and the like, Google Maps or whatever your gps navigation preferences are...it couldn't always know enough detail such as a lot being under construction and closed. When a street was rerouted in my small city of 15,000 it was a year before it showed up on an update to my Garmin and months before google maps knew about it. They just kept trying to navigate me to those now closed off roads that no longer had a rail crossing. One more set of reasons why a manual off switch will be required.

3. Liability. If your vehicle in auto mode gets in an accident, the car manufacturer, electronics manufacturer, road construction company, state, city, feds, etc will not want to accept the liability for any accidents - knowing that no system is 100% reliable 100% of the time. The manual off switch will be their out - you still should have been paying attention!

I think the only place this is likely to be workable in my lifetime is on the interstate highway system and like highways. Even on the major highways I would foresee an "auto drive lane" just as we now have HOV lanes. Going to work I would merge onto the highway, work my way to the left to the lane just right of the auto drive lane and turn on the auto drive system. The cars already in the lane would detect another auto drive car trying to merge in and make an opening. My car would then join the train.

No speeding obviously. But think of this. My 42 mile trip to Minneapolis each morning takes 1 to 1 1/4 hours meaning I am only averaging between 30 and 42 MPH even though the speed limit ranges from 55 to 70 depending on location. Except for brief slowdowns to allow other auto drive cars to merge, the auto drive lane could be moving at or near the speed limit most of the time. Certainly faster than I go now.

I could also set a warning to tell me when I am five minutes from my exit. When I am ready, I could merge back into the regular lanes and turn off auto drive to take the off ramp and navigate the city streets into my parking garage.

So...once in the autodrive lane I could theoretically take a little nap. If I didn't wake up when my five minute warning went off, I guess I would find myself in Wisconsin somewhere :). But I'd be safe.

·
Registered
504 Posts
This poll has been around a while but I just found it. I voted "yes" and here is why.

So...once in the autodrive lane I could theoretically take a little nap. If I didn't wake up when my five minute warning went off, I guess I would find myself in Wisconsin somewhere :). But I'd be safe.
Counterpoint to my own point: Terrorist figures out how this all works and sets up something next to I94 going into Minneapolis that somehow spoofs the cars into thinking the highway goes in a direction it doesn't. The train of cars, one by one, slams into a bridge and keep piling up until the system starts recognizing the danger. Suddenly all the autodrives are confused and everyone drops into manual mode. All those taking naps now wake up to their cars slamming into each other.....Oh well. Nothing is perfect>:D

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
it's funny you mentioned the I94 coming in to the cities. 94 / 35W split are always a cluster for no reason other than people can't negotiate a simple curve in the road. automating the merge / flow of cars in these areas would eliminate clogged interstates.

a few years back when they did major reconstruction on 94 in the st Paul area, the reduced it from three lanes down to two lanes for a whole season. I was terrified traffic would be snarled. turns out it flowed MUCH faster with two lanes. I assume it's because people had fewer lanes to chose from and just got in their lane and drove.

and yea, I have a 20 minute brain dead drive at 5:30 AM and would LOVE to be able to get on the interstate, click on the auto pilot, kick back and go back to sleep and have a soothing lady voice wake me up a few miles from my exit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is one thought I had that I do not see how they will guarantee GPS signal for this system all the time.

Last reported on the news, "Solar Flares Disruptions" scare the communication systems and they have no real solutions for this except hope they make it through it or shut it down until it's over.

I've been driving 48 years and have seen about everything humans can do while in a vehicle. (well I will admit, when it comes to humans, don't figure you've seen everything, there's always something new around the corner) Knowing this, I still can not see how this will be safer than now. (not saying it is that safe now)

Yet they want us to give up control ? Once there is a possible way to do something easier, safe or not, humans will always try it or integrate it into their lives no matter what. Simple example. Buy something from a store, hand them a bill larger than what is owed, and see how many NEED to have the register tell them how much to give back.

Reactions: idlafie

·
Registered
504 Posts
There is one thought I had that I do not see how they will guarantee GPS signal for this system all the time.

Last reported on the news, "Solar Flares Disruptions" scare the communication systems and they have no real solutions for this except hope they make it through it or shut it down until it's over.

I've been driving 48 years and have seen about everything humans can do while in a vehicle. (well I will admit, when it comes to humans, don't figure you've seen everything, there's always something new around the corner) Knowing this, I still can not see how this will be safer than now. (not saying it is that safe now)

Yet they want us to give up control ? Once there is a possible way to do something easier, safe or not, humans will always try it or integrate it into their lives no matter what. Simple example. Buy something from a store, hand them a bill larger than what is owed, and see how many NEED to have the register tell them how much to give back.
All good points which is why I believe it could only work in certain areas and certain highways and why I also believe that within my lifetime we will always need a manual mode for all the places it doesn't work.

·
Registered
504 Posts
it's funny you mentioned the I94 coming in to the cities. 94 / 35W split are always a cluster for no reason other than people can't negotiate a simple curve in the road. automating the merge / flow of cars in these areas would eliminate clogged interstates.

a few years back when they did major reconstruction on 94 in the st Paul area, the reduced it from three lanes down to two lanes for a whole season. I was terrified traffic would be snarled. turns out it flowed MUCH faster with two lanes. I assume it's because people had fewer lanes to chose from and just got in their lane and drove.

and yea, I have a 20 minute brain dead drive at 5:30 AM and would LOVE to be able to get on the interstate, click on the auto pilot, kick back and go back to sleep and have a soothing lady voice wake me up a few miles from my exit.
I come into Minneapolis from the west on 394 through the dreaded single lane merging from 394 onto 94. Once on 94 you are on a section through the tunnel (I'm sure you know it) where its all solid white lines. But people are changing lanes like mad anyway even in the tunnel. I frequently see semi's doing lane changes across the solid line, on the curve and inside the tunnel:surprise: . Once out of the tunnel you have 35 W traffic entering on the right and exiting on the left, then Hiawatha on the right, then another on ramp from 35 W on the left. So the whole area is a madhouse of people entering and exiting on both sides and changing lanes like mad to get to their ramps. Its a total mess.

If this were an auto drive section, all the illegal lane changes would go away. Traffic would flow at the speed limit (rather than lower than the speed limit like now) and people could sit back and relax and let the auto drive get them in the correct lane at the correct time. A computer could not do any worse than I see humans doing on a daily basis in this area.:angel:

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
They can keep their "semi-autonomous" "it drives fine on its own crap" for the mindless imbeciles that are too dumb or too lazy to operate the proper controls. Millennial anti-theft device, a clutch car with the instructions written in cursive. I'll keep my 5speed floor shift Grand Prix thank you much, no "auto" gadgets except ABS.
Was next to a Tesla 3 about a week ago and it's in "semi-drive" mode while this chick's putting on lipstick and rouge and buried in the visor-mounted mirror. Not a care in the world while everything unfolds in front of her. Someday that "autodrive"'s gonna malfunction and she's gonna be buried back-seat deep in the rear of a semi. < SMH >

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
If driverless happens we Lose Jobs a sad place to live.
Old thread, But, I'll play.
Some jobs go away but others will be made. The infrastructure to keep the vehicles on the road will still have to exist. When we switched from horses to cars, lots of jobs went away, but auto mechanics, gas station attendants, etc were needed.... Improvise, adapt, overcome.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts