·
Registered
16,551 Posts
say no, spend money on tools like that and get a miller or lincon mig

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
You already know the answer.
It's priced that low and will yield equally low quality results.
It cost less to do it right the first time than to do it over.

Clint

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorta what I figured but I was being hopeful. I own a plumbing company and have learned some jobs require excellent tools and other jobs it doesn't really matter. It makes sense welding would be one of those requiring a high quality machine.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
welding is something I've never done but would like to learn. The items you mentioned that you were interested in welding could have very expensive failures if it didn't lay down a good solid bead. Plus a great welder will always work when you need it to. Maybe you can find a miller on craigslist from someone who needs $$$ and selling off their tools.

Clint

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I just picked up a miller econo tig for 650, know of 2 more that went for 700. shop around a little there are deals out there.

yeah one of these Miller TIG Welder - Econotig AC/DC

·
Registered
18 Posts
i welded for about 20 years if your looking for a good cheap stick welder you cant go wrong with a lincoln 225. the AC welder is cheaper and will do the job but i like th AC/DC one better. either one will burn 1/8 inch rods hot and that equals no limit on thickness. here's a link to one. Lincoln Electric - Lincoln Arc Welder - 225 Amp (LE K1170)

check craigs list you should be able to find one cheap.

·
Registered
58 Posts
No don't waste your time. If you are looking for a stick/arc welder look for a miller maxstar. They are tiny and are great for a hobbyist. I picked one up used for 400 bucks. I got the tig torch and stick handle with it. Great little machine for stuff in the garage. For the bigger work i picked up a lincoln 220v 180 amp mig or wire fed. I want to get the miller diversion 165 but gotta save up some loot it's pricey. Miller - TIG Welders - Diversion 165 Look at home depot and lowes they run some decent sales. Dont skimp out a welder they do make a difference.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I would say to go mig. They are much easier to use and will do work like exhaust a lot better that an arc welder. Just my 2 cents. I think arc's burn too hot for thin metal but will work wonders on a frame. Mig's do frame work well also though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would say to go mig. They are much easier to use and will do work like exhaust a lot better that an arc welder. Just my 2 cents. I think arc's burn too hot for thin metal but will work wonders on a frame. Mig's do frame work well also though.
a mig would do better on thin metal and they are easy to weld with if ya don't have alot exp. if that's what he's looking for i would go with at least a 200 amp or above the millermatic is a good machine but it will cost alot more than a lincoln 225 stick welder. just remember IT'S ALL ABOUT THE AMP'S when it comes to welding machines.
the lincoln 225 can also weld thin metal too with a 6011 rod for AC and a 6010 on DC but it requires some skill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts