Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here looking at trading my '16 GMC Canyon for a '19 Frontier.
I know they don't have Apple CarPlay but is there a way to get just Apple Maps on the truck's screen?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Put in a Pioneer head unit with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a new head unit is the only way to get there. So be it. Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I use Apple CarPlay in my truck and like having the choice of Apple Maps, Waze and Google Maps, which, BTW, now offers much of Waze's unique capabilities. Have to admit I haven't given Apple Maps another look even realizing they have completely gutted it. I don't see the point when the other two work perfectly well (Waze has gotten a little funky the last few months so I've been mostly using Google Maps).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sell the factory head to the guy above. It'll almost cover the new one! ;-) Back when I put my first GPS head unit in it was $1,000. Now similar heads from Kenwood or Pioneer are a fraction. Or you van buy a bobo 'Droid head for like $79.... Or buy a few as spares.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hi, I'm new here looking at trading my '16 GMC Canyon for a '19 Frontier.
I know they don't have Apple CarPlay but is there a way to get just Apple Maps on the truck's screen?
Funny. I understaffed my 2013 Frontier in on a 2019 Canyon. Don't get me wrong; I loved my Frontier for the 6 years and 112,000 miles I drove it. But if you are used to a Canyon, you are going to be disappointed.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Funny. I understaffed my 2013 Frontier in on a 2019 Canyon. Don't get me wrong; I loved my Frontier for the 6 years and 112,000 miles I drove it. But if you are used to a Canyon, you are going to be disappointed.
I have driven a 4 year old Canyon and it rode like my Trailblazer. Frontier is definitely a truck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wow, seriously? I wouldn't trade my Frontier for a Colorado even up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK- here is my take on why I want to switch to Frontier. I haul teenagers once a week and otherwise use the back seat area for storage. The Canyon has a stupid setup where the seats fold down instead of up. The only real option is to put stuff on top of the folded down seats, and then it ends up in "no man's land" behind the seat. Hard to put a dog in the back of the Canyon. The bed sides are tall enough that you can't easily reach into the back and grab stuff. This is made worse because they wanted to make it look "sporty", like a Taco, so the butt is sticking up in the air. there are known transmission issues and my warranty will be up in one year.

Another thing I don't care for is the Canyon has small, uncomfortable seats and a big center console. Large, comfortable seats in the Nissan. I don't need a big center console.

I have two years left on my Canyon loan. With trade I will be able to finance the new truck for three years and my payment will go down by around $50/mo. I may semi-retire in three years and I would have a paid-off truck with at least 200k miles left in it if I take care of it. 2019 Frontier is rated the most dependable mid-size truck.

When Nissan updates they will probably screw it up- more gears, bigger with taller sides, more tech. I really feel good about grabbing one of these classic trucks before they are gone.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The only mid size pickup that had a better interior design was the Dodge Dakota crew. I lived mine but it was a piece of crap I had to get rid of with 15k on it. The ONLY thing I HATE about Frontiers is the shitty fabric seats (I replaced mine with leather), and too much plastic inside. But the layout is the best of any mid-size by far. And for an 11 year old design, it still looks as good as any other.

Mine owes me NOTHING. I'm on my second tires, second brakes, one major tuneup, and 2 headlights. THAT'S IT at 112,000 miles. Ain't NO Chevy or GM (or Ford or Ram) doing that.

OK- here is my take on why I want to switch to Frontier. I haul teenagers once a week and otherwise use the back seat area for storage. The Canyon has a stupid setup where the seats fold down instead of up. The only real option is to put stuff on top of the folded down seats, and then it ends up in "no man's land" behind the seat. Hard to put a dog in the back of the Canyon. The bed sides are tall enough that you can't easily reach into the back and grab stuff. This is made worse because they wanted to make it look "sporty", like a Taco, so the butt is sticking up in the air. there are known transmission issues and my warranty will be up in one year.

Another thing I don't care for is the Canyon has small, uncomfortable seats and a big center console. Large, comfortable seats in the Nissan. I don't need a big center console.

I have two years left on my Canyon loan. With trade I will be able to finance the new truck for three years and my payment will go down by around $50/mo. I may semi-retire in three years and I would have a paid-off truck with at least 200k miles left in it if I take care of it. 2019 Frontier is rated the most dependable mid-size truck.

When Nissan updates they will probably screw it up- more gears, bigger with taller sides, more tech. I really feel good about grabbing one of these classic trucks before they are gone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts