Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Frontier PRO-X
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three pics below.
The first is the main screen when you access Apple Car Play.
The second is what appears when I pick the phone but what is supposed to happen is the voice ask you, who do you want to call?
The third is what happens when I pick the message but what is suppose to happen is the voice ask you, who do you want to message?

I just got a Iphone 12 mini. Does anyone know if there is a setting I am missing? Either on the phone or Frontier.
When I plug my Iphone 6 back in it works.

Thank for the advice!!

Telephony Mobile phone Communication Device Portable communications device Gadget

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle audio Steering wheel

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Audio equipment Steering wheel

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
614 Posts
Every CarPlay is different as the manufacturers can slightly change it, especially depending on how much they want you to have access to things vs limiting you to “eyes on the road” functionality. CarPlay on my kenwood unit is like yours, it lets you use the apps.

It should ask you who you want to message when you click the compose message button in the upper right.

As for asking who to call, I’m not sure if anything in the phone app will ask you that but I’d say just use the Siri button. I see nothing wrong with your CarPlay overall.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier PRO-X
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Every CarPlay is different as the manufacturers can slightly change it, especially depending on how much they want you to have access to things vs limiting you to “eyes on the road” functionality. CarPlay on my kenwood unit is like yours, it lets you use the apps.

It should ask you who you want to message when you click the compose message button in the upper right.

As for asking who to call, I’m not sure if anything in the phone app will ask you that but I’d say just use the Siri button. I see nothing wrong with your CarPlay overall.
Yes the who do you want to message works fine when you pick that symbol. My last 5 vehicles with car play (last one was a 2019 Colorado), when you picked the phone icon it would ask you who do you want to call. Might be a Nissan thing. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
614 Posts
Yes the who do you want to message works fine when you pick that symbol. My last 5 vehicles with car play (last one was a 2019 Colorado), when you picked the phone icon it would ask you who do you want to call. Might be a Nissan thing. Thanks.
Yeah not sure, I haven’t ever used any Nissan CarPlays. Pretty sure my brother’s factory 2020 Ranger lets him see the apps like yours does. I’d have to test to confirm. I wouldn’t worry about it too much, I think that’s just how it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting, I have CarPlay in my wife’s 2020 Honda Pilot and my pioneer head unit in my 04 BMW and they all work like the frontier.
You click and it’s shows your favorites and your message list. Never once it’s asked me who do you want to call/message.
Maybe look into the phones/cars CarPlay settings.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier PRO-X
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I figured it out. My previous cars, 2006 frontier, 1997 vette, 2005 vette and 2019 Colorado when you picked the phone or the text icon it would say "who do you want to call or text". For all those vehicles I had an Iphone 6. Now I have a Iphone 12. For phone calls you have to hold down the talk button on your steering wheel until the voice says "who do you want to call?" Then you tell it. For texting, see my second photo, that icon in the upper right corner, pick it and it will ask you "who do you want to message". So I guess the changes are due to a newer Iphone.

·
Premium Member
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
269 Posts
I think I figured it out. My previous cars, 2006 frontier, 1997 vette, 2005 vette and 2019 Colorado when you picked the phone or the text icon it would say "who do you want to call or text". For all those vehicles I had an Iphone 6. Now I have a Iphone 12. For phone calls you have to hold down the talk button on your steering wheel until the voice says "who do you want to call?" Then you tell it. For texting, see my second photo, that icon in the upper right corner, pick it and it will ask you "who do you want to message". So I guess the changes are due to a newer Iphone.
Could be that you are running different IOS versions on those phones and they interact with something like CarPlay differently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In all my other vehicles with Car Play, when you pick the phone icon (as shown in the first pic) a voice is supposed to say "who do you want to call?" Instead it goes to what I show in the second photo and no voice.
The civic I daily drive for work does the same. It doesn't ask me, just shows a screen. I just tell Siri to call whoever I am trying to call.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't get mine to work it worked one day a week ago now even with phone attached to main usb port it wont come on. Also has anyone had thier entertainment screen blackout on them while playing audio? Oh one more issue with iphone charging cords usb wont pick up connection with generic cords.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have had the 22 Frontier Pro 4-X for just over a week now. Love the truck but have been having issues when using CarPlay. When streaming music it starts to crackle after a little while. Tried using both USB A and C cables and different phones but still continues to occur. Took it into to the dealer and they said there will most likely be an update coming out from Nissan to address the issue. Seems to be worse when using Google Maps for some reason. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have had the 22 Frontier Pro 4-X for just over a week now. Love the truck but have been having issues when using CarPlay. When streaming music it starts to crackle after a little while. Tried using both USB A and C cables and different phones but still continues to occur. Took it into to the dealer and they said there will most likely be an update coming out from Nissan to address the issue. Seems to be worse when using Google Maps for some reason. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this.
I have and it’s annoying. Screen froze up as well, only while using CarPlay. Everything else worked fine. Hoping for an update soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts