Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in an apartment, which means I have no garage to work in. All my friends are apartment dwellers as well so there is no one I know that has a garage. I just need a place to work on my truck and I am fairly certain that sort of thing is frowned upon at my apartments. Even if it wasn't, the parking spaces at my place are small and I am fairly certain someone wouldn't be paying attention and pull right into me. Have any of you found creative ways to handle this problem? I've been thinking of going to Autozone and doing it in their parking lot. Everyone else seems too...

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
i am just coming into this issue myself. im planning on hiding in a little used corner of the complex and doing my oil changes and such there. unless someone in the orlando area wants to lend me their garage from time to time ;-)

lol

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
I believe that apartment complex's should have a area specifically for normal maintence for the consumers vehicles. It would make this issue none existent.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree, I live in an apartment as well, and want to be able to tinker with my truck at home.
but my only saving grace is that I work at the airport and can pull my truck into our hangar and do whatever I need to do there. If I didnt have that sorta job id be SOL

as for advice, I really cant think of any, ....go out at night when noo ones around and do your oil changes ;P

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
i just do it in my assigned spot. only thing that sucks is that it's not covered, and working out in the FL sun is not fun.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a friend who would rent out an old shack in a less-than-desirable part of the city. We lived in Charleston, South Carolina and I think he found a place he could take his car to work on it for dirt cheap. Not the safest thing to do in terms of where he was, but pretty cheap and effective. No hassles with apartment landlords and tenants and whatnot any way.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
i just do it in my assigned spot. only thing that sucks is that it's not covered, and working out in the FL sun is not fun.
No its not fun. I about burned my back trying to take off my skid plate and got sun burnt on my knee's.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I borrow the g/f's brother's garage :) He even lets me keep my old oil there til I take it to the Zone

·
Registered
602 Posts
dont rent but my driveway is rock and hurts the hell out of my back when i work on it there. i take it to work and pull up as close is i can to the door cant pull in. always got new a/c units sitting at the front door for the next days work. so i work on the ramp can be kinda tricky but alot better than rocks on my back

·
Registered
76 Posts
My apartment staff told me that as long as I won't be spilling fluids all over the lot its no big deal to work on my vehicles. I'm sure as long as I obey that and don't try to swap motors in their parking lot I should be good. Every place is different tho, it really depends on where you live (I live in BFE so they don't really care).

·
Registered
876 Posts
like MSU said..

i work in Property Management, tho we don't really allow any kind of work to be done on the property, we deff frown upon fluids being spilled. its an Environmental, and insurance thing..

I make exceptions for flat tires and dead batteries, but that's just me..

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
i can live with MSU's guidelines. nothing is expressly forbidden by my lease (just re-read it to make sure) but im certain with the way this place looks, they wont want a mess left around the parking lot for days on end or while they are showing apartments.

most likely i will do my work in the late afternoon, early evening to avoid ticking someone off and not try major reconstructions or the like, just the basics.

id say, as long as its not expressly forbidden, just keep it clean and avoid long downtimes.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I use my friends or parents garage if needed

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just moved from Savannah into an apartment here in South Carolina... Apartments SUCK. But, on the bright side, my wife and I just signed a contingency contract for a house to be built when we sell our Savannah home. Back to topic: I do my "abbreviated maintenance" in the open garage under the apartment; can't wait till I can put this shinny paperweight also know as a crank pulley on.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm no longer in an apartment, but when I was, I've always been able to do most required maintenance, including brake jobs. Just gotta grab the most out of the way spot and keep it clean.
Used to think a tent, large enough to get the driver's door and hood area under, would be the key.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ca is tricky.. they have city ordinances that state whatever hits the ground, eventually gets into the water. That's why we have to be strict, otherwise well get fined..

To answer the OP question, if I lived in an apt.. it would most likely be the one I manage, and my folks own a home right around the corner, so i would go there

1 - 20 of 24 Posts