Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two suppliers in my town have recently started selling 90 octane ethanol-free gasoline. Its something I've looked for for a long time for use in my two stroke mix for string trimmers, chain saws, leaf blowers, etc. Until now it was like searching for a needle in a haystack. Maybe people run 100LL aviation fuel here in their dirt bikes bit I heard it can run too hot.

Anyway, curious if there are any benefits as far as running in our frontiers? I've always thought of ethanol as a long term gumming agent in carborated engines. But are there negative effects on FI engines?

87 octane sells for $2.39 here while the 90 octane ethanol free gas sells for $2.99 (25% premium)

Anyone run it? Any noticeable effects?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I tried it recently. I went as far empty as I dared with my tank and put in 17 gallons of ethanol-free gas, 90 octane as well, for about $2.45 a gallon. I got a modest boost in gas mileage of 1 mpg. So, for me at least, not really worth the extra cost of 30-cents a gallon.

Any performance gain was negligible at best, since I have the 4 cylinder which is anemic even on a good day. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I purchase it when I can and usually notice a couple of extra MPG's when I do so. You won't get enough of your $$ back to really justify the cost, but it's typically a better fuel for your engine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've never used in my truck but always run ethenol free in my outboard motor and yard equipment. My understanding is all (most) modern engines are designed to run with the <=10% ethenol fuel.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Its all I run in my gen 1
Every chance I get its what I run in my gen 2. i see about a mile or so more per gallon and its only about $0.10 difference in price.

I wont run anything elses in my small eninges.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I've never used in my truck but always run ethenol free in my outboard motor and yard equipment. My understanding is all (most) modern engines are designed to run with the <=10% ethenol fuel.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
run? yes. run well? not so much. The ethanol eats at rubber. and attracts water like salt on steroids. as long as the fuel doesn't sit and (especially in 2stroke that are seasonally stored) is flushed with a oil fogger like seafoam spray.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks that's good to know. I think ill try it for a month or two and see what I notice. After 115k miles of using standard 87 octane I suspect it will make no difference at all.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I was in Utah last week and found a place selling E Free 88 (About $2.8 the regular 88 was about .30 cheaper). THere was 85 oct there too. I found that I got the best MPG on the road trip out of that tank. 2012 RAV4 i4.

My main issue with ethanol is that it is not as fuel efficient and absorbs water. Older injectors die easily with ethanol fuel.

As far as the AV100LL. the LL is for low lead, still have lead in it. Not sure if the 100 oct rating is the same but generally the higher the oct the "cooler" the engine will run.

·
Super Moderator
19,656 Posts
I use it in all of my small engines and mainly in my Toyota Avalon. I don't drive my car as much as I drive my truck so ethanol free is critical for me if it has to sit in the gas tank for extended periods. I don't use it all of the time in my truck anymore because the gas station I get it from is a 20 mile round trip. The price difference is not just measured in fuel economy for me, it will help preserve my small engines and fuel system on my car. Of course it will cost more if it does not have nasty ethanol in it and that's fine with me.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One piece of equipment I have that I really need to use EF gas in is my Generac Generator. I only use it once a year or so and always use stabil in it. But I plan to drain the old crap out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts