Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been talking to some guys that drive older fords and chevy's with plows and are making fat cash under the table with the most recent snowstorms. I've never seen a plow on a Frontier but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Although admittedly my '05 sucks in the snow but a new set of tires and some weight in the rear would fix that.

Anyone plowing with their frontier?

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
You can buy a light weight poly plow. Yes, there is money to be made but repairs to your truck and plow will eat some of your profit due to repairs. A new plow set-up can run $3500-$5000. You also need plow insurance because you will damage something like block edging, lawn lights etc.

Clint

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It's really hard on your rig too.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes. Thats exactly why people have beaters for their plow trucks. I looked into this last year and I could only find a lightweight light-duty plow. Nothing designed for commercial use. I don't get it because make serious plow set-ups for S-10's and CJ style Jeeps. These vehicles can't be any heavier duty than our Fronty's...

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
people use jeeps to plow local with for years and years, and dimes well they are dimes. i wouldn't run a plow on anything under a 3/4th ton truck personally for commercial use

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Plows are very hard on the truck and the driveline... guys with S10's and plows are on borrowed time before the framerail horns break off... they crack and bend very easily.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Agree with all, you really need a 1/2 to 3/4 truck to plow seriously. Snow weighs a ton once it accumulates and you need some power and strength to move it around. Unless you want to lose your truck early due to wear and tear forget it. Or wait till summer and get one cheap from someone looking to unload. I really think that's your best bet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a new Frontier 4X4 and designated my 2002 Tacoma 4X4 as "beater." My neighbor has a Snow Sport 84" plow for his Jeep Wangler to do his driveway. I just ordered one from RealTruck.com in ND for $1500 to do my 300' gravel driveway.

Yes, having a "beater" is the only way to plow.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
driveways you can do with a lighter truck as its not the same wear as doing 6 or 7 per storm

·
Registered
342 Posts
I know of two people with plows on their Frontiers and they had to bulk up the front ends with timbrin rubber bumpers. They both use their rigs for their own drives and one does his inlaws. I havent heard any problems from either of them. but for the 3k it cost them to rig their trucks I'll pass!

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
who ever said they use beaters for plow trucks is wrong...well for around here anyhow, all i ever see is newer f250's and dodge and chevy 2500s maybe even 1 ton trucks with plows. as for the frontier i never seen a frontier with a plow on it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I know of two people with plows on their Frontiers and they had to bulk up the front ends with timbrin rubber bumpers. They both use their rigs for their own drives and one does his inlaws. I havent heard any problems from either of them. but for the 3k it cost them to rig their trucks I'll pass!
Why would you spend $3k on a plow when it beats your truck up and you can hire somebody for way cheaper? Or at least just buy an old beater and throw a plow on it?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Around here I've never seen a mid sized or compact truck with a plow. They are usually either super heavy duty 2500's or F250's with plows and spreaders or they are older 80's series Ford or Chevy beaters. I actually wish I could find an older beater with a plow setup. This most recent storm I heard of some people making 5 grand just for 2-3 days of work. Since I work 4 days a week the other 3 days could lead to some nice extra cash a few months out of the year.

As far as my own 100' driveway, I've tried to talk the wife into letting me get an ATV with a plow setup. Would come in handy during hunting season :)

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I just got a new Frontier 4X4 and designated my 2002 Tacoma 4X4 as "beater." My neighbor has a Snow Sport 84" plow for his Jeep Wangler to do his driveway. I just ordered one from RealTruck.com in ND for $1500 to do my 300' gravel driveway.

Yes, having a "beater" is the only way to plow.
Can you post some more info or pm me with it, I'm interested as well. I'm on a flag lot and my driveway is over 700 feet long with 6500 sq ft of parking and turn around space by the house.

I don't disagree with all of you about the stress on the truck, but I had a heart attack in November, and I need to find a better way to clean my driveway (less stress on me). And as far as cheaper to hire someone......I was quoted 600$ for that 28" of snow in December. They wont all be that bad, but even 200-300 a pop would pay for a plow quick. I also found plows, like Clint said for 3k-5k, and thought it was a little too much, but 1500 is a little more or the same as a good snow blower.

I'd consider it for personal/residential use.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i plow with my truck, 7 drive ways. I have a homesteader plow and it works great. do a search of my user name and youll find a pic

·
Registered
148 Posts
My folks have a Western poly plow on an 2004 F150. The poly plow is lightweight and works great for their needs. They have a 1/2 mile driveway in the CO mountains. I would never consider using this poly plow for commercial use. My good friend does commercial plowing with a Western Pro grade plow on an 80s GMC 3/4 ton truck. When we park the plows next to each other, the poly plow is a little turd in comparison. If it is any consolation he makes $60/hr when he is working, but he has only had less than a handful of good money making snow storms this season. It costs a chunk of change to keep everything in good working order. If any of your equipment goes down during the night you are out of service unless you get it fixed ASAP. He has learned to keep an extra pump/motor setup in his tool chest for such an occasion.

·
Registered
134 Posts
who ever said they use beaters for plow trucks is wrong...well for around here anyhow, all i ever see is newer f250's and dodge and chevy 2500s maybe even 1 ton trucks with plows. as for the frontier i never seen a frontier with a plow on it.
agreed. my parent's house gets cleared by a guy with like a 2009 titan. which obviously is gonna be able to handle it more easily but aren't our frames pretty much the same?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts