Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I just got a brand spaking new frontier, love everything about it so far... but I have been reading about the tendency of fronty's to kick up gravel and cause paint damage. I do plan on taking this guy into the backcountry when the snow melts. Has anyone tried something like this:

I figure this (plus a rock slider) might protect from most gravel? Trying to avoid getting mud flaps....

also, separate Q: can anyone recommend junkyards near Denver where I can find a selection of frontiers? Hoping to look for skid plates. rock sliders, and any other accessories that might suit my fancy

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (22,000km)
292 Posts
Not sure the trim would do much as the rocks seem to come off the bottom of the tires at a low angle and attack the rocker panel, bottom of rear door, and front of the bed.

I do like the possible look of them. Might have to check them out...the smallest ones anyways.

I installed these running boards primarily just for the rock and body protection on my 2019....also works great for loading my kayak onto the roof rack. Works perfectly for both. Body was already getting chipped up and I rarely even touch gravel roads. No serious off-road stuff so not worried about that aspect...

Also great so far for winter snow/salt protection as up here they load the roads with salt/gravel regularly.

Since installing them, it's funny how often I hear the rocks "clanging" off of them...

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
840 Posts
Not sure the trim would do much as the rocks seem to come off the bottom of the tires at a low angle and attack the rocker panel, bottom of rear door, and front of the bed.

I do like the possible look of them. Might have to check them out...the smallest ones anyways.

I installed these running boards primarily just for the rock and body protection on my 2019....also works great for loading my kayak onto the roof rack. Works perfectly for both. Body was already getting chipped up and I rarely even touch gravel roads. No serious off-road stuff so not worried about that aspect...

Also great so far for winter snow/salt protection as up here they load the roads with salt/gravel regularly.

Since installing them, it's funny how often I hear the rocks "clanging" off of them...

View attachment 327186
Yea my solution was to get some cheap mudflaps that I had seen listed on the forum from Replacement Commercial Parts Warehouse Here is the link to the page that has the options! RCPW Fender guards/mudflaps
(online store).I was able to get 8 mudflaps for $40(US) shipped I got the 10x18's size. I then used the regular EZ flares to fill in the gaps.

I used the factory "airdams" and offset the mudflaps ~1-1.25in out, and then and then using the larger rear "airdams" as a guide I set the top of my first one with the top of the rear "airdam" It was about 2in more of lower tire coverage. The only Airdamn that didn't have about 2in of lower clearance was the Middle one which had closer to 3-4in beneath it. I had to melt the front ones to follow the shape of those airdams but for the effort it looks nice and keeps the truck clean from the road!

Note those mudflaps are sold for $7.00 per pair
2 rolls of EZ flares left me almost half of a roll doing it this way. I have enough left over to redo the longer front fenders if ever needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

View attachment 327186
Sweet! that's encouraging! Is that a rock slider as well? What's the product called? A Westin something or other. Looks like extending 4 ish inches out really adds protection huh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea my solution was to get some cheap mudflaps that I had seen listed on the forum from Replacement Commercial Parts Warehouse Here is the link to the page that has the options! RCPW Fender guards/mudflaps
(online store).I was able to get 8 mudflaps for $40(US) shipped I got the 10x18's size. I then used the regular EZ flares to fill in the gaps.

I used the factory "airdams" and offset the mudflaps ~1-1.25in out, and then and then using the larger rear "airdams" as a guide I set the top of my first one with the top of the rear "airdam" It was about 2in more of lower tire coverage. The only Airdamn that didn't have about 2in of lower clearance was the Middle one which had closer to 3-4in beneath it. I had to melt the front ones to follow the shape of those airdams but for the effort it looks nice and keeps the truck clean from the road!

2 rolls of EZ flares left me almost half of a roll doing it this way. I have enough left over to redo the longer front fenders if ever needed.

That's an awesome resource! I don't have any factory mudflaps, I'll have to see whats possible with my set up, but that looks clean.

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (22,000km)
292 Posts
Sweet! that's encouraging! Is that a rock slider as well? What's the product called? A Westin something or other. Looks like extending 4 ish inches out really adds protection huh
Nope...certainly NOT a rock slider by any stretch. They are the Westin Grate Steps Running Boards. They would not last 2 minutes as rock sliders....there are three mounting brackets on each side that use the factory mounting studs. I have them mounted as tight to the body as possible and think they are actually 6" wide in total....so they are fantastic for body protection from flying debris (and used as a step), but that is it. That is the reason I purchased so perfect for my application. Rock sliders (here in Canada) are very hard to find, and ridiculously expensive as we usually have to ship from the US...adds hundreds of dollars to costs.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nope...certainly NOT a rock slider by any stretch. They are the Westin Grate Steps Running Boards. They would not last 2 minutes as rock sliders....there are three mounting brackets on each side that use the factory mounting studs. I have them mounted as tight to the body as possible and think they are actually 6" wide in total....so they are fantastic for body protection from flying debris (and used as a step), but that is it. That is the reason I purchased so perfect for my application. Rock sliders (here in Canada) are very hard to find, and ridiculously expensive as we usually have to ship from the US...adds hundreds of dollars to costs.
The boys at Coastal Off-road up there in Canada should have a good hookup for you!

·
Registered
635 Posts

. For everyone concerned about this matter... Buy 4 things:
Painters tape and some of the pretaped paint shields, plastidip spray, and rustoleum spray on bedliner( not the rubberized one). Tape off the areas you are worried about, spray them with a layer of plastidip ( so you can remove this all if you choose) and then once that has dried for around a minute or two spray on 4-5 light coats/dustings of the bed liner.its super cheap, removable, and very strong. I applied the bedliner straight to the paint and someone drug the door against my truck and it just sanded off some of their paint. No more chips. They even make a clear bed liner apparently co you might just do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts