Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (30,000km)
397 Posts
I had a R-Pod I was towing, and the weight was almost irrelevant...ease of towing completely came down to wind/air resistance - i.e. speed dependent. I hated towing into a headwind. Was a massive headache and made driving unpleasant for any stretch IMO.

Got rid of the R-Pod, and if we ever get another will be a pop-up.

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier CC 4x4
930 Posts
True, which is nuts. I have a 7 X 6 utility trailer that weighs 500 pounds, and is technically out of spec. I don't know if other manufacturers limit frontal areal like that.
For comparison, the Jeep Gladiator manual lists a 56 sq/ft maximum frontal area on the Max Tow package. Other trims are in the 40s.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I pull my 8W x 17L travel trailer with 2021 3.8L 9 speed. Use a weight distribution hitch, trailer weighs about 3500lb dry. Wind is the issue, but I ran most of the way home to Michigan from Iowa on I80/94 in a headwind, just ran in 5th or 6th gear. No issues, and engine doesn't sound like its screaming, running 2900-3200 rpm. I really like the way the truck handles the trailer. Mileage is as usual when pulling a sail, 9-10mpg. Went last weekend about 1.5 hours north in Michigan in a super strong crosswind, handled really well. I really have no complaints.

Wheel Plant Vehicle Car Tire

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
578 Posts
Just bought an Apex Nano 213rds. Just brought it home, about 12 miles. Seemed to pull fine. The truck is gonna need some help in the back, even with a weight distribution hitch. My in-laws really recommend air boots. Going to take their advice. Going to have it done in a couple of weeks. I'll repost.
That will probably be my next trailer. I'm pulling a Freedom Express 204RD. It's a little heavier than the 213rds but its 2' longer and has a slide.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just returned from a 4,000 mile trip to Wyoming, towing our Scamp w has a frontal area of 9’6 x 7’0. We averaged 18.4 mpg for the entire trip. Our luck was to have a strong tailwind for most of the trip.

·
Premium Member
2020 SV Crew Cab Gun Metal Midnight Edition
255 Posts
Just towed this RV from central PA to the Adirondacks in New York State. The RV weighs just over 3000 lbs, plus gear. Using a Reese 49912 integrated weight distribution and sway control hitch. Redarc Tow-Pro Liberty brake controller. The truck performed admirably. Nary a wobble from passing semis. A little bit from crosswinds. Gas mileage sucks, about 11 MPG.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
578 Posts
Just towed this RV from central PA to the Adirondacks in New York State. The RV weighs just over 3000 lbs, plus gear. Using a Reese 49912 integrated weight distribution and sway control hitch. Redarc Tow-Pro Liberty brake controller. The truck performed admirably. Nary a wobble from passing semis. A little bit from crosswinds. Gas mileage sucks, about 11 MPG.

View attachment 353630
It looks like the trailer has to come up on the front. The forward axle is carrying more weight than the rear axle. It will also handle even better.

BTW, nice trailer!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just returned from a 4,000 mile trip to Wyoming, towing our Scamp w has a frontal area of 9’6 x 7’0. We averaged 18.4 mpg for the entire trip. Our luck was to have a strong tailwind for most of the trip.
The aerodynamic shape of the Scamp, especially the back end, really makes a huge difference. 18 mpg is pretty amazing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The fuel economy was as calculated by the Nissan onboard computer. I have not done the calculation from receipts. I suspect that what I reported was a tad optimistic.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was a little dumb-struck by the post about the 30 sq. ft. limit. I mean, there is no camping trailer that could meet that, except maybe a pop-up. My Puma is prolly more than twice that. Could maybe be a warranty consideration? I guess I need to re-read the manual :rolleyes:

·
Registered
930 Posts
I was a little dumb-struck by the post about the 30 sq. ft. limit. I mean, there is no camping trailer that could meet that, except maybe a pop-up. My Puma is prolly more than twice that. Could maybe be a warranty consideration? I guess I need to re-read the manual :rolleyes:
Yep, if a guy goes by the book it really leaves us able to tow not much of anything. That's the lowest tongue weight rating and maximum frontal area rating I've ever seen on a modern pickup truck of any brand or size. Crazy.

Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
578 Posts
Yep, if a guy goes by the book it really leaves us able to tow not much of anything. That's the lowest tongue weight rating and maximum frontal area rating I've ever seen on a modern pickup truck of any brand or size. Crazy.

View attachment 353700
Right from their website they show the Frontier towing a Lance trailer. My guess is that it weights over 6K.

Ecoregion Product Train Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yep, and when I try to ask Nissan reps about that directly, they refer me to my dealer. Sigh... no answers.

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (30,000km)
397 Posts
It's not indicated and certainly arguable, but with some application of common sense you could infer that the frontal area limit would be that which is EXPOSED and excluded from the front profile of the truck itself.

I've had a small R-Pod which loaded was about 3000#. Was still somewhat of a PITA to tow when fighting a headwind - transmission bouncing up/down trying to maintain speed, transmission temps climb, higher RPM overall etc.

I've since sold it and now tow my brother's pop-up. Weight is about the same as my R-Pod, but I can barely tell it is back there regardless of wind direction. It has a frontal area of roughly 32 square feet perhaps (just a rough guess), but it pretty well all sits behind the truck profile and pretty well is irrelevant.

·
Registered
93 Posts
30 square feet barely covers the frontal area of the truck itself. I considered the logic expressed by YEGFrrontier, and the fact that there is never a mention of coefficient of drag, before I chose to ignore the recommendation When I pulled my 1999 Scamp with my 2014 Frontier. I never had any issues.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts