Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2013 CC 4.0L 6MT
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tow a high profile load (eg travel trailer) on the highway with the new 3.8? How was performance and fuel economy, and what are the specs of your load?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone tow a high profile load (eg travel trailer) on the highway with the new 3.8? How was performance and fuel economy, and what are the specs of your load?
Don't have anything to add. I also just purchased the 3.8 and am curious to see what others have to say.
I am wondering about an Apex Nano 213RDS. 3826 dry weight. I am going to rent something similar and see how it performs.

·
Registered
2020 CCSB SV 4x4
1 Posts
2020 SV 4x4. Not terribly high profile but Starcraft 3604 popup about 24'1" x 7'2" x 5'3" plus the rooftop AC unit about 3200lbs pulled in 15.33MPG over 163 miles running 65-70. I was barely past the 500 mile break in period before towing. The truck handled everything pretty well but tongue weight had me slapping the bumpstops over some of the bumps in Eastern PA.

·
Premium Member
2020 SV Crew Cab Gun Metal Midnight Edition
238 Posts
Sumosprings.

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (30,000km)
371 Posts
Towed an RPod for a year with my 2019. Added Sumosprings for rear support (and found I did not need WD/sway control) but it was only about 3000 loaded up I think.

Wind and air resistance is the killer. Handled the weight no problem (with the Sumosprings) but fighting air is a bummer. I started travelling in behind (at a good, safe distance) semis which actually made a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Followings. Do any of you have a link to Sumsprings?

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (30,000km)
371 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just bought an Apex Nano 213rds. Just brought it home, about 12 miles. Seemed to pull fine. The truck is gonna need some help in the back, even with a weight distribution hitch. My in-laws really recommend air boots. Going to take their advice. Going to have it done in a couple of weeks. I'll repost.

·
Registered
'21 SV 4x4
132 Posts

I just towed this camper for the first time with my '21 SV and got 13.2 mpg after our 100 mile drive on the way out. I figured it might be a little better than that since my '99 XE was getting 12 mpg towing the trailer, but to be fair, I was going faster with the new truck and due to traffic, we had more speed fluctuation. It's a curvy hilly drive and the truck handled it great. It's weird not having a tow mode or a way to turn off the overdrive with the new truck, but the engine and transmission were responsive to the loads and shifted appropriately. The camper is a high walled pop up, so it is not that high of a profile, but it is higher and wider than the truck. The unloaded weight is only 2100lbs and rated for a max of 3600lbs loaded. I assume we were about 2500lbs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Forest River Puma 12FBX, its about 2900 lbs dry. I certainly know it's back there. Have not checked mileage, it's pretty crappy at 75, the trailer pulls much easier at 60-65.
So much sag!! 400lb tongue weight. I put some Timbren rubber springs on it, but then I grabbed a Husky W/D hitch ($240) which amazingly leveled out the truck. I became a believer. I'm planning on removing the Timbrens and trying to go back to the factory bump stops, not sure how well that will work. Ride is a little hard right now, not that bad but I think I don't really need them with the hitch.
Dang Wal Doxey campground road is paved with bumps!😂
Mainly I would just like to inform regarding the Husky W/D hitch. Does what it says!

2021 3.8L Crew Cab.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also re-used the slide bar sway control I had installed on the old hitch. Had to flip over the bracket and drill 2 new holes 'cos it interefered with the chain brackets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Towed this up to the lake. Pulled fine, but the back end was squishy. Want to get an air lift kit if possible. Because it's a west coast truck the Firestone 2558 doesn't fit. So the mechanic says. Should have tried it myself. 4000 Lbs dry. Probably 4500 the way it is. About a ton under capacity. Has anyone pulled something with 500 pounds of tongue
weight?
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Car

·
Registered
8 Posts
Towed this up to the lake. Pulled fine, but the back end was squishy. Want to get an air lift kit if possible. Because it's a west coast truck the Firestone 2558 doesn't fit. So the mechanic says. Should have tried it myself. 4000 Lbs dry. Probably 4500 the way it is. About a ton under capacity. Has anyone pulled something with 500 pounds of tongue
weight?
View attachment 337528
Did not have hitch correctly installed. Reread the Curt hitch installation instructions. I'll post revised hitch pics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I pull a 16' cargo trailer daily @ around 5k-6k lbs. Just got a new 2022 pro-X on Monday. I'm getting 12mpg while pulling it. Performance is great. Ride is smooth And enjoyable. It feels like I'm pulling it with a full size truck. No complaints other than cruise control while towing is not good. It drops speed and then slams the gas to get caught up, especially
Wheel Tire Plant Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
‘22 Red Alert 4x4 S
5 Posts
Bought this beaut especially for the trip from FL to ND to pick up my son from his duty in the USAF. 22mpg there 2100 miles one-way and 14-15 back. uHaul said it wouldn’t be possible. The mountains of TN were scary going up, she kinda struggled at 4K but never faltered. Going down the opposite 8 degree grade was a dream. She downshifted and I rarely had to use the brakes. Totally guessed the weight at around 5500 and then had to officially weight it for the government reimbursement = 6160!!!
Ready to dump the stock steelies since that ordeal is over! Time for a lift and new shoes!
Receipt Font Material property Handwriting Paper product

Tire Cloud Automotive parking light Wheel Sky

Tire Wheel Car Sky Automotive parking light

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle
White Light Vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier CC 4x4
835 Posts
This pic is on the NissanUSA Frontier homepage. Evidently they think their truck can pull a travel trailer
View attachment 339170

Which is hilarious because the owners manual lists a 30 sq/ft MAX trailer frontal area, and that picture is WAY beyond 30 sq/ft.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts