1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
361 Posts
Since the Nismo is made by Nissan, it does not invalidate the warranty. It would be hard for Nissan to prove that a CAI would cause damage when they make one with an oiled filter.

The purpose of a Cold Air Intake is to gather cold air from outside the engine compartment to burn the air/fuel mixture better. Cold air expands more than hot air(already expanded some). The Nismo intake appearsto be made of metal, probably aluminum. The engine would heat the metal tube so much that any cold air going through it would be heated immediately. I'm not so sure this would be productive.

The K&N 77-6014KP is very similar to the Nismo, but also it appears to have a metal tube. I use the K&N 63-6014 because it does not have a metal tube. It is plastic. It doesn't retain heat like the metal tubes do.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Your statement is not entirely true. The Nismo intake is an R-Tune part which means it is for off road use only versus an S-Tune part which will definitely not void the warranty when installed by a dealership. With that said a dealership still can't void your warranty unless they can prove it caused the problem. As for the intake, I am a big fan of Nismo intakes. I have one on my 350Z. They are actually manufactured by AEM.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I can definitely say that the NISMO intake pictured on that ad in the link is an AEM intake w/ the NISMO name, but IT IS NOT the intake for the 2005-2006 NISMOs.

I actually think the newer NISMO intakes are a lot different looking (cheaper IMO) than the older version. I doubt those are made by AEM as well. If so, I stand corrected. Nonetheless, the NISMO CAI sounds and still looks awesome. But I think I'll be getting the AEM Brute Force.

Picture on Courtesy for 2005-06, but actually for 1999-2004

Actual NISMO intake for 2005-06 from sandiegan05fronty. Totally different.

·
Registered
189 Posts
sandiegan05fronty said:
Here is a pic of the nismo on the work bench before install.
Yep look at that rubber mount in the bag and the orange/black silicone connectors on the 2005-2006 Nismo intake, it is DEFINITELY made by AEM as those are trademarks of their intakes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
how much is that nismo intake?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Hoo boy, and I thought my Volant was supposed to be one of the best. It just goes to show what thought will get me.

OkieScot

Binford said:
With the group discount and the ebates discount, the Injen is slightly under $300, and its pretty much considered 'the best' CAI.

·
Registered
361 Posts
NO, the K&N is the best! :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does anyone know if a Nissan dealer will actually install CAI, and if so, would this eliminate any warranty worries since they installed it. Thanks...

·
Registered
189 Posts
No they shouldn't install it. As I mentioned it is a Nismo R-Tune part which means off road use only so there is no warranty even if the dealer installs it. That doesn't mean that if you install it you void your warranty though.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would bet the dealer would install it. I think Nissan classified the intake as R-Tune because it doesn't qualify as Smog legal in the states that enforce those regs(California, etc.).

I could be wrong though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts