Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Just wondering if this will damage the wiring. Past experience with other vehicles taught me that stock wires carry more current than you'd expect with no issues. It's really just about their resistance and how hot they'll get as a result.

The stock high and low fuses are 15A and 10A per side, so these should be able to handle the draw just fine. Not sure what voltage those bulbs are rated at, but I imagine it's at around 14.3 charging voltage and 100W would only be 7 amps.

Even 18 gauge can carry that. 18 AWG has a resistance of 6.3 Ohm/1000 ft. If the wiring harness was really clumsy and there was 10' between the bus bar and the light, that would give .063 Ohm, resulting in (I^2R) a .063 Ohm * 7A ^2 = around 3 Watt dissipated by that entire run.

3 Watts really isn't much to heat up a 10' wire with air flow all around, but I'd like to hear real world experience.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
If these are headlamps you are talking about, switch out to Katana LEDs 6500Kelvin at 12,000 lumens and call it a day. Many folk here including myself are running them and they will flat-out whoop any Hella, Sylvania or Osram incandescents around. Just be sure to reaim after installation.
As to your original question, 100w should be fine IF there are no other items added to that circuit to increase draw. I'm tapped into both my Hi and Lo beam circuits at the IPDM E/R but only to power up relays for my LED front lightbars, so the extra power draw is infinitesimal.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If these are headlamps you are talking about, switch out to Katana LEDs 6500Kelvin at 12,000 lumens and call it a day. Many folk here including myself are running them and they will flat-out whoop any Hella, Sylvania or Osram incandescents around. Just be sure to reaim after installation.
As to your original question, 100w should be fine IF there are no other items added to that circuit to increase draw. I'm tapped into both my Hi and Lo beam circuits at the IPDM E/R but only to power up relays for my LED front lightbars, so the extra power draw is infinitesimal.
My Katana's will be here Tues. Look forward to hooking up those.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. That's a bit more blue than I'd like but more importantly, how durable are they?

Have they proven themselves yet?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Interesting. That's a bit more blue than I'd like but more importantly, how durable are they?

Have they proven themselves yet?
Several folk on here have run them for over 2 yrs, no issues, I'm sold, I've now purchased 3 sets, my wife's 2012 RAV and my son's 2005 RAV are running Katana's now as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Several folk on here have run them for over 2 yrs, no issues, I'm sold, I've now purchased 3 sets, my wife's 2012 RAV and my son's 2005 RAV are running Katana's now as well.
Hmm, sounds good. It would have been nice if Nissan had offered upgraded headlamps on the Frontier as an option. The headlights were always a bit feeble... Nissan, are you listening?

·
Registered
2012 CC SV 4x4 LWB
145 Posts
You won't regret them. I put a set in 2 weeks after I got my truck because the light output of the halogens is garbage. Best $50 I've spent on ANY vehicle I've owned.

I will be ordering a set for the wife's Jetta soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts