Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a bit of searching without success on this question.

I have a 2016 Pro-4X and I am happy enough with the stock head unit as far as it's functionality and usefulness. It's clean and simple as far as I am concerned.

What I hate about it is the three satellite radio channels that I can't skip or get rid of when scrolling through with my steering wheel menu controls even though I do not subscribe to satellite radio. I think I recall reading somewhere that a satellite station preview is sent to the headunit which causes it to always trigger the stations as active when scrolling through the menus causing them to always "be in the way" when scrolling through bluetooth, aux, fm, am, etc.

Has anyone had any success on figuring out a way to eliminate them? I wonder if I simply pull the head unit out and unplug the satellite antenna if that would tell the unit that there is no longer a need for it to try and preview the channels?

·
Super Moderator
11,609 Posts
Cover your antenna with something and then try, without line of sight you shouldn't get signal for the preview.

Clint

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Cover your antenna with something and then try, without line of sight you shouldn't get signal for the preview.

Clint
Like a tinfoil hat?

·
Super Moderator
11,609 Posts
Not exactly, lol.

Clint

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Unless you remove the Sat. controller it will always be there, if there even is a secondary unit. With aftermarket radios, the sat. control and the head unit will be separate, with some factory head units, it's all one, the only option would be to unplug the sat. antenna, but that might cause a secondary fault that you will always have an error on the screen saying "CHECK ANTENNA".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless you remove the Sat. controller it will always be there, if there even is a secondary unit. With aftermarket radios, the sat. control and the head unit will be separate, with some factory head units, it's all one, the only option would be to unplug the sat. antenna, but that might cause a secondary fault that you will always have an error on the screen saying "CHECK ANTENNA".
I was basically thinking the same thing. I have been searching through the service manual and it isn't quite clear if there is a stand alone module for the satellite or not. I know from google searches there is a satellite module that Nissan has used in their vehicles as it's available for sale, but which units I don't quite know. I looked in the first spots that came to mind such as near the hood release and under the steering column, but I need to do a bit more searching to knwo what I am really looking at.

For now I think I will pull the head unit out since it's a simple process and disconnect the antenna and see if it gives me any faults as you mentioned above - if it goes away and I don't find myself having to ignore any error messages, that is as good as fixed as far as I am concerned.

If that doesn't work - I'll get started making the antenna a little tin foil hat. ::smile::

1 - 6 of 6 Posts