Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might sound a little weird but I'm wondering how they hold up with all the salt they put on the roads here.

Looking at pictures on the PRG site you can see the center shaft of the shock is exposed. Make me worried that it will pit/rush over time.

I always do my best to hose down my truck after each storm but their will be times when it will have to stay dirty/salty for a few days. Wondering if I would be better off just replacing the Bilsteins instead.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
i do.

lived 2 winters with them on Long Island before moving. they endured being beaten by sand and salt water on summer drives on the beach and getting blasted by winter road salt. no, they are not pitting. the only noticeable wear is that the powdercoat on my springs is starting to flake in some spots. the shock body is holding up very well.

also keep in mind that these shocks are rebuildable. a little maintenance a few years down the road and they will be like new again, so no worries.

some advice. get 600 or 650lb springs. i have 750s and they were rough in the winter (very hard riding) altho they did well in the summer. it's much better with them in FL now cuz the springs are always soft...

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
i do.

lived 2 winters with them on Long Island before moving. they endured being beaten by sand and salt water on summer drives on the beach and getting blasted by winter road salt. no, they are not pitting. the only noticeable wear is that the powdercoat on my springs is starting to flake in some spots. the shock body is holding up very well.

also keep in mind that these shocks are rebuildable. a little maintenance a few years down the road and they will be like new again, so no worries.

yeah, the powdercoat on the springs doesn't hold up all that well. but the shocks themselves are fine

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
truck gal is from MA and her radflos have a lot of rust on them.

This was one of the reason I went with ICON coilover. ICON will put a coating on the coilovers for vehicles that drive in harsh weather that prevents rusting. They are they only that I know that does it.

·
Registered
690 Posts

This was one of the reason I went with ICON coilover. ICON will put a coating on the coilovers for vehicles that drive in harsh weather that prevents rusting. They are they only that I know that does it.
I was just thinking about this today. I was thinking of calling Greg tomorrow and asking his opinion. I'm thinking of a few coats of clear on the non moving parts. Shouldn't hurt and it would have to help. It's the shaft and other moveing parts that we need to come up with an idea on.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just thinking about this today. I was thinking of calling Greg tomorrow and asking his opinion. I'm thinking of a few coats of clear on the non moving parts. Shouldn't hurt and it would have to help. It's the shaft and other moveing parts that we need to come up with an idea on.
ARGHH! I just can't decide. If I had the tools to replace the stock Nismo Bils myself I would prob go that route. Keep thinking the Rad's may be a mistake for hwy driving. But I do like the fact that I can put them on myself. Guess I could try them and if I don't like them I sell them on the board for a small loss.......would buy also myself some time to get the stockers rebuilt.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm running Radflos now without a sway bar and I wouldn't go back. The only reason I'm waiting for a new pair is I don't own the pair on my truck...long story. I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thats strange. When I PMed her she said they were holding up great...no rust????
You don't work for ICON do you.....

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
You don't work for ICON do you.....
No dump a$$, I don't.
What's the problem man. You have a concern and I just pointed out that a company had a solution. You can do with ever you want with the info. I never said go buy ICON. I guess Ignorance is bless.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts

I have a 2" spacer over the Radflos that look painted in rust (that's what I get for buying a cheap ebay spacer). The Radflos themselves don't have any rust except where I've managed to knock paint/powdercoat off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No dump a$$, I don't.
What's the problem man. You have a concern and I just pointed out that a company had a solution. You can do with ever you want with the info. I never said go buy ICON. I guess Ignorance is bless.
Was trying to be funny not insult you. I thought the little smiley face thing end would up at the end of the line so you would know I was joking.

Sounds like the rust was from the spacer not the shock...so it's all good.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
my bad. It's sometimes hard to pick up sarcasm on the net. I apologize.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Here's a picture showing what I'm talking about...There's minimal surface rust on the brace portion of the upper part of the shock (along with mud), but the rust is the spacer. I want to replace it with a solid spacer before long.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
biggest issue that radflos have in the salt is the mounting bolt to the LCA put anti seize on it or your probably going to have to cut it off. also you will need to get the recharged from time to time because its a nitro shock. If I were doing a truck with coil overs i'd run Icons now or spec build my own

1 - 14 of 14 Posts