Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, to make a long story short had some fun offroading yesterday until the ABS light stayed on first, then the truck was stuck in 4 LO and the ATP light was on. And yes, tried driving in reverse, etc. to no avail. Hope it is not something major but at least it is covered under warranty and I am a little bummed this happened to my 2017 Pro 4X. I did not hit anything or do anything crazy so if anyone has experienced this let me know because I did a search and could not find anything. I will try and post the video as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
There is a blurb in the owner's manual about that. I've had it happen once. Scary to say the least. You need to always come to a complete stop and be in neutral and wait for the click from the transfer case when going in to or out of 4Lo or you will confuse the computer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe me, I did that 10 times. I also disconnected the battery. It has been at the dealer since this morning so I doubt that is the problem anyways.

There is a blurb in the owner's manual about that. I've had it happen once. Scary to say the least. You need to always come to a complete stop and be in neutral and wait for the click from the transfer case when going in to or out of 4Lo or you will confuse the computer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
While I can't comment on what the issue is (I've been in and out of four lo and four high dozens of times with no issues on my 2016), I wouldn't hold my breath that it'll be covered under the manufacturer warranty. Despite being a Pro4X, the warranty only covers failures under "normal operating conditions." Since you were not on pavement, seems unlikely you can make the case that you were operating within "normal conditions."

Hope the leather on your wallet doesn't warp too badly when you've got to break it out here in a few.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I have read of similar issues when the power is disrupted. For instance, drive in 4 low, camp, listen to radio, run the battery dead. Wake up next morning, jump start the truck=stuck in 4 low. When did you disconnect the battery.

Though I have not needed to do this yet, you can remove the 4wd selector/actuator from the back of the transfer case, then manually turn what looks like a large flat head screw, and get back into 4hi and 2wd.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to be a smart a** but you cant be serious. First, that would be like saying you can only use 4 wheel drive on the pavement. The truck was made to drive normally off road. And it will be covered. Ah, just talked to Nissan and it is the "actuator vice assembly transfer control" whatever the heck that is. Anyways, I get a free rental and covered under warranty for sure. Just bummed that it happened with only 6K miles. Oh well.

While I can't comment on what the issue is (I've been in and out of four lo and four high dozens of times with no issues on my 2016), I wouldn't hold my breath that it'll be covered under the manufacturer warranty. Despite being a Pro4X, the warranty only covers failures under "normal operating conditions." Since you were not on pavement, seems unlikely you can make the case that you were operating within "normal conditions."

Hope the leather on your wallet doesn't warp too badly when you've got to break it out here in a few.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah, I'm with you, haven't heard of that.

Regardless, sweet deal that it was in fact covered. I wasn't trying to be an @$$, it is just my experience that dealers hear "I had it in four lo off road and...." and they immediately pass the blame on the failure back to the owner.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, likely a failure that had absolutely nothing to do with anything. They'll swap it out and you'll be ready to rock with no issues for another 300,000 miles.

Update us when you get your truck back!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries and yeah I hear you. Maybe if I didn't know the dealer well they would have tried to blame it on me. Luckily I am good friends with the sales manager so they do not question me about anything. And thanks for your advice. I will let you all know the final when I get it back tomorrow. Peace ::smile::

Yeah, I'm with you, haven't heard of that.

Regardless, sweet deal that it was in fact covered. I wasn't trying to be an @$$, it is just my experience that dealers hear "I had it in four lo off road and...." and they immediately pass the blame on the failure back to the owner.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, likely a failure that had absolutely nothing to do with anything. They'll swap it out and you'll be ready to rock with no issues for another 300,000 miles.

Update us when you get your truck back!

·
Registered
313 Posts
A few times I have had the ABS light on. An ABS fault will make you unable to shift from 2wd to 4wd.

Twice because I had a bad front passenger wheel bearings. It was bad enough that it spun at a different speed than the other 3 wheels. Once was a bad sensor also front passenger. Once was a corroded wire on the body side of the ABS connector. I can't remember if that time was front driver or passenger.

I have had luck turning the truck off. Moving the T-case selector to the position I desire. Turn the truck on. It may change the T-case before it 'remembers' there is a fault. It didn't work every time, maybe 50% of the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts