Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just about killed somebody today, when I noticed a heavy scratch by the drivers side doorhandle about 3" long. ( :x It goes to the metal... boo... hiss... :evil:

So without having to paint the whole door, does anyone have any suggestions or any success with touch up paint? - Any tips on application?

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
What color do you have? Some colors are easier to fix than others. I would first try getting the touch-up kit that has the paint and the filler in it. That will smooth it out fairly well. Also, GS-27 scratch remover also works good from my experiences with it, but not so well on deeper scratches. You might be able to use it after you touch it up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an Avalanche White King Cab. The good thing is white is an easy one to fix up... (from what I've heard) The scratch is to the metal...

·
Registered
246 Posts
go to courtesyparts.com and they have touch up paint you can buy for pretty cheap. One type is the old fashioned brush tip in small paint bottle, but also they have a touch up paint pen that is used like a marker, maybe check those out. Ive never used them but maybe check them out, its worth it by the sounds of that scratch...poor fronty needs a band-aid :cry:

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Yes, kilago, have you used this product and if so what were the results? I have
several chips to repair, but I have never done very well with my repairs in the past using the dealer touch up paint. This is definitely something that I am interested in.

OkieScot

·
Registered
460 Posts
sonik said:
kilago said:
Touch up paint + Langka...

http://www.langka.com
Have you used this product before? It's very intriguing I must say. I don't understand how the touch up paint blobs up...
I have some of this at home but have yet to use it because all the touch ups I have been doing have been with the pen stick. But from looking at my lower panels , just below step rails I may need to get the paint touch up bottle and finally give this Lankow stuff a try.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
05FRONTY said:
sonik said:
kilago said:
Touch up paint + Langka...

http://www.langka.com
Have you used this product before? It's very intriguing I must say. I don't understand how the touch up paint blobs up...
I have some of this at home but have yet to use it because all the touch ups I have been doing have been with the pen stick. But from looking at my lower panels , just below step rails I may need to get the paint touch up bottle and finally give this Lankow stuff a try.
let me know if it works. and how it works. This is one of those scratches in a "in your face" area that I don't want to screw up with a amateur move... I did order this from Courtesy Nissan PAINT PEN .

So... If this Langka stuff is the real deal and quick and easy then I don't mind spending the extra $20.

·
Registered
345 Posts
OkieScot said:
Yes, kilago, have you used this product and if so what were the results? I have
several chips to repair, but I have never done very well with my repairs in the past using the dealer touch up paint. This is definitely something that I am interested in.

OkieScot
Yeah, I have used it. Fixed a small chip. I haven't fixed a scratch though. It does take some technique and patience. The process is basically clean off any wax/dirt, touch up and then reapply touch up until it fills the chip/scratch. Basically you don't want the touch up paint to sit lower than the original paint. let dry. Then apply Langka and buff...basically you keep buffing (with old shirt and plastic card included with langka kit or any flat card will do) and applying more langka until the area is smooth. Langka guarantees it won't damage original paint, and I can very it doesn't. However, I wasn't able to get the touch paint perfectly smooth, so if you look carefully you can see there's some touch up, but it's really, really hard to see.

I'd say it really depends on how big your scratch/chip is...If it's small, then Langka would work...If it's really deep and large, it probably won't be that good.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
kilago,

Thank you for the reply. Sounds like it might work for most of my chips. I think I'll
wait until I get the money to install the 3-M clear coat and then do the repairs just before I have it installed.

OkieScot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts