Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - now that I mostly have my speaker situation sorted out (thanks again Reign!) I have been researching HUs that fit my needs, and I believe I have finally landed on the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. would love to hear from any 4500 owners...
couple of questions to any owners or experienced peeps in general.
this is going in a 2019 Krew Kab with back-up camera and there are steering wheel controls, USB, etc.
I would like to keep as much stock elements as possible - and I understand that I will not be able to use the integrated BT mic that is stock - so - my questions:
1. what harnesses and kits, etc do I need to get to attach to current stock systems?
2. I am planning on an amp and sub install in about 6 months - so, should I go ahead and wire for it?

Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have the 4200, so it is similar. You'll probably want to get the Scosche NN03B wiring harness and the Metra 99-7581 dash kit and I believe the PAC SWI-PSv1 to retain your steering wheel controls.

It may be easier to run all the wiring/cabling now, but that's up to you. You'll need to take more apart to install the amp and sub.

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Hey all - now that I mostly have my speaker situation sorted out (thanks again Reign!) I have been researching HUs that fit my needs, and I believe I have finally landed on the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. would love to hear from any 4500 owners...
couple of questions to any owners or experienced peeps in general.
this is going in a 2019 Krew Kab with back-up camera and there are steering wheel controls, USB, etc.
I would like to keep as much stock elements as possible - and I understand that I will not be able to use the integrated BT mic that is stock - so - my questions:
1. what harnesses and kits, etc do I need to get to attach to current stock systems?
2. I am planning on an amp and sub install in about 6 months - so, should I go ahead and wire for it?

Thanks, guys!
0. it's "Raine" but hey.

1. Apparently many 2018-2019 owners are using this harness for the main connections:

2. At minimum, run the RCA and remote turn-on wires from the back of the head unit to where your sub amp will be, that way you don't have to remove the entire center dash console later (when you install the head unit the first time you'll see why it's a pain in the a$$ to get to the back of the head unit post-install)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just installed the 4500 in my 19 CC.
The 4500 added wireless CarPlay/SD card/USB flash drive/CD DVD capability and did it very well.

What worked
USB adapter to retain usb (Electop USB adapter 2 pack)
Steering wheel controls less the phone buttons

Did not work
Loss of backup camera
Auto dimming of headunit
Auxiliary port
Factory microphone

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just installed the 4500 in my 19 CC.
The 4500 added wireless CarPlay/SD card/USB flash drive/CD DVD capability and did it very well.

What worked
USB adapter to retain usb (Electop USB adapter 2 pack)
Steering wheel controls less the phone buttons

Did not work
Loss of backup camera
Auto dimming of headunit
Auxiliary port
Factory microphone
Frontman, I have an 06, so I may not be able to completely help you, because I'm not sure if you have a stock backup camera.

It should be able to dim, sounds like the dimming wire is not connected.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Did not work
Loss of backup camera
Auto dimming of headunit
Auxiliary port
Factory microphone
What main harness did you use to install?

Backup cam
- needs adapter, most likely AX-NIS32SWC

Autodim
- the factory illumination wire is there

Aux port
  • if USB then needs adapter most likely AX-NISUSB-2
  • if combo USB and 3.5mm, replace with AXUSB35-SKT
Factory microphone
- does not work, no adapter available

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick follow up - My install guy just told me that the HU comes with a GPS unit to help boost the iPhone signal, and you can by-pass it, but the system will not allow Video In Motion because the system looks at the GPS signal and basically overrides the parking break work around.
so - back to the research board for me (unless someone knows a workaround...he said the one from Pioneer doesn't actually work consistently)

·
Registered
77 Posts
BTW I think the GPS thing is only cause its wireless CarPlay. maybe try one that doesn't have wireless CarPlay.

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
That's because it's a Pioneer NEX head unit - these are notorious for having that GPS sensing "feature" as wwell as most NEX models requiring a "double pull" on the e-brake to unlock the video display features.

This is why I never suggest Pioneer head units to anyone.

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
my kenwood works and all I did was ground the parking brake wire. I heard Pioneers are difficult to bypass. I have this model and have no problems with it. Kenwood Excelon DMX906S Digital multimedia receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield
Of course it does - it's not a Pioneer NEX.
Kenwood is just a grounded safety.

BTW I think the GPS thing is only cause its wireless CarPlay. maybe try one that doesn't have wireless CarPlay.
LOL I think you're just guessing here just to say something haha

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of course it does - it's not a Pioneer NEX.
Kenwood is just a grounded safety.

LOL I think you're just guessing here just to say something haha
Actually - that's what the installer said. it needs the extra dongle because of the wireless feature. there is no by-pass issue with a corded connection (like on the 2500) but only 1 USB means I cant be connected and have my USB music at the same time.

I think Kenwood may be the way to go, though - and I like the model listed in this thread, but I want a DVD/CD player as well - so.. who knows.

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Actually - that's what the installer said. it needs the extra dongle because of the wireless feature. there is no by-pass issue with a corded connection (like on the 2500) but only 1 USB means I cant be connected and have my USB music at the same time.

I think Kenwood may be the way to go, though - and I like the model listed in this thread, but I want a DVD/CD player as well - so.. who knows.
I've always had success with Kenwood head units, second would be Alpine. Sony for budget builds. Whenever I see someone mention a Pioneer head unit it's like seeing people buy sushi at a gas station..

Although - I like Pioneer DJ controllers. I just hate their head units; I used to be friends with the head of product management at Pioneer USA nearby in Long Beach and even he didn't run a Pioneer head unit in his own personal vehicle! (He'd go to work with his commuter car with OEM audio LOL)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've always had success with Kenwood head units, second would be Alpine. Sony for budget builds. Whenever I see someone mention a Pioneer head unit it's like seeing people buy sushi at a gas station..

Although - I like Pioneer DJ controllers. I just hate their head units; I used to be friends with the head of product management at Pioneer USA nearby in Long Beach and even he didn't run a Pioneer head unit in his own personal vehicle! (He'd go to work with his commuter car with OEM audio LOL)
Ok. you talked me into it. I am going with the Kenwood DDX8706s. Will I use thesame harness and wires you recommended earlier, or should I get a different set?

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Ok. you talked me into it. I am going with the Kenwood DDX8706s. Will I use the same harness and wires you recommended earlier, or should I get a different set?
I DIDN'T TALK YOU INTO ANYTHING lol

Should be the same harnesses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What main harness did you use to install?

Backup cam
- needs adapter, most likely AX-NIS32SWC

Autodim
- the factory illumination wire is there

Aux port
  • if USB then needs adapter most likely AX-NISUSB-2
  • if combo USB and 3.5mm, replace with AXUSB35-SKT
Factory microphone
- does not work, no adapter available
Even though I have installed my own head units in a Frontier before. This one I had a shop do it. The AX-NIS32SWC did not work with my 19 SV CC.
I asked them about the illumination wire and they said it did not match up.
illumination solid orange to orange white stripe?
Can anyone confirm this combo?
Possibly another camera retention harness?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Even though I have installed my own head units in a Frontier before. This one I had a shop do it. The AX-NIS32SWC did not work with my 19 SV CC.
I asked them about the illumination wire and they said it did not match up.
illumination solid orange to orange white stripe?
Can anyone confirm this combo?
Possibly another camera retention harness?
Thanks
Kind of hard to to try to "confirm" wire colors f you don't even state/know what wiring harness the shop used to install the head unit

1 - 20 of 20 Posts