Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 2x4 and pull a bike trailer pretty frequently. Am thinking of installing a backup camera. Anyone have any experience with one on a Frontier?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Yup, there are a few members that have them. Most choose to add one when they add their AVIC system.

Side Note: I assume you have an 08 4x2 or else you have a really impressive piece of lumber since it can tow a bike trailer.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I have an el cheapo head unit and a number plate mounted camera and it works a treat. I can reverse up easily to about a foot away from other cars without any issues at all

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yup, there are a few members that have them. Most choose to add one when they add their AVIC system.

Side Note: I assume you have an 08 4x2 or else you have a really impressive piece of lumber since it can tow a bike trailer.
oops - I can do some impressive things in the workshop, but you're right, I can't make a 2x4 pull a trailer. Glad we both had a good laugh tonight. :laugh::laugh:

I have an el cheapo head unit and a number plate mounted camera and it works a treat. I can reverse up easily to about a foot away from other cars without any issues at all

Do you recall how you're wiring is routed? My camera connects to a backup light (no problem) but has a connector on it that requires a 1/2" hole. I don't want to drill a hole if I can avoid it. Thanks,

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I had the same issue so I got slack and ran it in thru the rear cab vents behind the back seats and then under the sill caps up under the dash

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Not on the Frontier, but our Pathfinder has a back-up camera stock. I don't know about other cameras, but this one(I assume other nissan models have the same setup) there is hash marks of three different colours which represent how far away you are from whatever is behind you.

Hard to tell from this photo but you can see the screen...in theory this could fit into the Frontier?? It would be sweet to have all the other functions of the trip computer too..as well as the dual zone-auto climate controls.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
i have a camera hooked up to my avic. was kinda a pain in the azz to hook up, but works flawlessly. plus i can turn on the camera while in motion and watch the load im towing, for a loosening strap, etc.

worth it just for that

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stupid question but I sometimes hook up a boat to my Frontier and was wondering if you can point the camera low enough to actually see the hitch and not have to guess too much to hook-up? That was pretty much the only reason why I wanted one.... although the lose strap idea sounds pretty good too!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
well i have a license plate cam. and yes, i can see my hitch ball with the camera on. i dont tow boats though, but you def would not need to guess

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
camera angle

Stupid question but I sometimes hook up a boat to my Frontier and was wondering if you can point the camera low enough to actually see the hitch and not have to guess too much to hook-up? That was pretty much the only reason why I wanted one.... although the lose strap idea sounds pretty good too!
Hooked up the camera tonight - took about 30 minutes. The kit I chose is wireless (from camera to cab) and works ok but has interference from the wireless feature. I'll probably hardwire it in the near future. The kit has an adjustable camera angle -up and down - which is important to me because I usually hook-up my trailer alone. It will be great for that purpose alone. The kit is from Roadmaster and is called VR3, but there are many others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts