Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a pump off eBay to do my transmission fluid. The pump worked great, it felt like I hit bottom with the flexy hose but I only got ~2qts out. The stock hose OD is ~6mm and also not very long. I was curious if anyone else had tried that and how much they got out and what hose they used. I'm thinking of getting a longer stiffer hose polyethylene or nylon perhaps.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Don't bother. The dipstick oil change works great on boats, they are designed for that. The dipstick in the truck doesn't line up with the deep part of the sump. You will never get the tube to the bottom. Use the drain plug.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I get every bit of 5 quarts out using a vacuum thru the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've used an evacuator for years for oil changes. Most motors it works great. Super convenient for motors with the oil filters mounted up top. 15 minute oil changes without getting under the vehicle. Try it out a few times, it takes come technique to get it right, measure what comes out, move the tube around a bit. Suck out the oil while it's still warm.

This is what I use:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I use one on a family members car. Hyundai Veloster turbo. That car has the drain bolt, on the front of the pan. So on ramps, the oil falls to the back of the pan. So I was doing that, then using the extractor for another 3/4s-1 quart. So instead of even opening the pan I just use the extractor.

I also plan on using it on my GTI for every other change, since the filter is topside also. For the Frontier though, I'll probably stick to the old fashioned method.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good to know about the engine oil, but for the tranny so far it seems like I might need to drop the oil. I did order some slightly stiffer and longer PTFE (teflon) tubing so I'll see if I can do any better the next go around.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That's good to know about the engine oil, but for the tranny so far it seems like I might need to drop the oil. I did order some slightly stiffer and longer PTFE (teflon) tubing so I'll see if I can do any better the next go around.
When I did a similar thing with my Jeep ZJ, I didn't get much out either. A couple quarts. But it still helped when dropping the pan. 2 less quarts to spill everywhere haha.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was a service manager at a Marina so I did lots of dip stick oil changes. My Frontier may just be the easiest vehicle I have owned to change the oil. I ran the front tires on to some 2x board scrap I had but it was easy enough to get under. I suggest conventional changes and forget the dip stick method although it is most important just to change the oil no matter the method.

Tt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts