Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a question-- thinking mine is lazy and old as truck now has almost 90 thousand miles and it does not go all the way up under vacuum it sounds like the spoon in a blender thing......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah well I am new to this forum but not nissans
when I pull the arm up manually the noise goes away so I do not think it is the bearing as I replaced the supercharger belt and this helped a lot but I may have it over tighter it boosts fine but I do get the garbage disposer sound sometimes

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ever change the pulley? Sounds funny, Mine started the same around 100K.. Now up to 152k and nothing with a changed pulley.. Running a 2.3 now instead of the stock 2.65 i believe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If the arm on your bypass valve is up off the stop at idle, at 12 O'clock, your bypass valve is completely open and there is no boost being held. If when you whack the throttle, the actuator arm goes from 12 O'clock to 9 O'clock, towards the stop, the S/C is holding boost. The bypass valve is a butterfly valve.
I have had my S/C replaced 4 times, yes 4 times with 64K miles on it, once under warranty, 3 times I've don't it myself, don't even ask, it's a soar subject. I am very familiar with these things.
Has anyone checked to see if their coupler needs replacement? You can do this with the belt removed from the S/C, traditionally the OEM couple only lasts for 40 - 50K miles because of the material it is made from, it doesn't hold up very well immersed in oil. With the belt removed, twist the S/C pulley back and fourth to check it for play. Over time, the coupler holes become elongated, egg shaped, creating play. Do yourselves a favor and check this first, the replacemet part is only like $35, a very nice alternative to a new or rebuild S/C. I know this engine inside and out, any questions don't hesitate to post or PM me.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My BAV was leaking vacuum. Fixed it by removing the valve, throwing it on the work bench, and installing a manual control in it's place. Used a universal choke cable, attached to my shifter, slid down thru the boot and attached directly to the valve.

Works perfect. Best mod I ever did on this truck.

BTW, I call the sound "stick in the fan" but we're talkin' about the same thing. I'll get this if I leave the valve closed when I'm at idle. Goes away as soon as I open the valve a little. I had my blower bearing replaced, under warranty, at 200 miles. 162K now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts