Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have listened to a lot of video/sound clips and I'm thinking the stock exhaust sounds better than most all of the aftermarket ones, to me. Anyone wish they would have left their truck alone and spent that money on something else?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sort of? I changed mine since it was rusted out. I purchased an AFe catback for $240 then I replaced the muffler with a Magnaflow. I preferred the stock over the noise of the magnaflow. I do like the more off road friendly piping though.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
I swapped my muffler out to a Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow. Been really happy with it so far. Gives a little more sound but not much and almost nu-noticeable with the windows up which is how I wanted it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Iv'e got Magnaflow, I do like the deepness of the sound, I also have a K&n cold air intake, that changes the sound some. But I'm old school. loud is fast, and chrome is faster! I got a lot better gas mileage with these mods. When I baby it, under 3200 or so I get 18 mpg, in the 25/ 50 mph. Thats plus 3 for my year. Got 21 on the highway, drove 300 mi in a rainstorm that it just felt better at 60mph, was really surprised, since I Have 150,000+ at the time.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had a flow master 40 delta welded in on my last frontier 6M. I loved the sound of that. My neighbors told me it sounded good, but not too loud. I now have an auto and I'm not sure if it will sound as good with the auto downshifting more frequently.
I forgot how good the VQ40 engine sounds?

·
Registered
80 Posts
As I get older, I find listening to exhaust drone on long trips is tiring to me. I had a Magnaflow muffler on my 2009 Xterra and changed it back to the stock muffler after a week. T

The in cabin noise sucked.

I plan on leaving my '16 Frontier stock as far as the exhaust goes. It is not a hot rod.

My other vehicle is a Chrysler 300 SRT8 and I have left the exhaust alone on it as well. Again...guess I am getting old....

·
Registered
313 Posts
I put the Banks Monster Exhaust on my 6m. I think is by far the best sounding exhaust I have heard on these trucks. West racing has a true dual setup with Borla mufflers dumped just after the cab. His sounds pretty great too. I recently picked up an Xterra auto with a Magnaflow muffler in the stock exhaust. It sounds more raspy than deep. I prefer the Banks.

The Banks moves the power band up higher. It's helpful for highway towing, but at the cost of low end torque. The Magnaflow muffler along with the stock Y pipe is only really good for sound. I'm sure there is no performance change over stock. Since the Y is the bottleneck.

That being said, I wish I put an aftermarket Y pipe in the stock exhaust before I went full catback. Just to see the difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I get older, I find listening to exhaust drone on long trips is tiring to me. I had a Magnaflow muffler on my 2009 Xterra and changed it back to the stock muffler after a week. T

The in cabin noise sucked.

I plan on leaving my '16 Frontier stock as far as the exhaust goes. It is not a hot rod.

My other vehicle is a Chrysler 300 SRT8 and I have left the exhaust alone on it as well. Again...guess I am getting old....
I had an LS2 GTO for 6 yrs and never touched it other than regular maintenance. I think if I had ab SRT8 300 it would be fine just as is.::wink::

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
I had an LS2 GTO for 6 yrs and never touched it other than regular maintenance. I think if I had ab SRT8 300 it would be fine just as is.::wink::
A buddy of mine has an '06 or '07 Goat with some engine work and a Corsa exhaust system. As a passenger, the thing sounds like a NASCAR inside and I'm quite sure it turns low 11s.

IIRC, the Gibson catback system for our trucks is purportedly on the quieter side of the aftermarket spectrum. ZeroSix LE runs this and it has 3" mandrel bent piping. It uses a larger (than OEM) y-pipe going into a single-in/out Gibson muffler. This system is available in aluminized steel or stainless steel.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
No regrets at all - have a FM 50 with dual side exit exhaust (not true duals); added a FM muffler shield and Dynamat Extreme to the doors(upgraded sound system) to tone the drone down. Nothing but compliments from folks on the sound, especially for a six banger.

My dad's Taco had a FM40 and he had to go back to stock because of the drone. He wished he would have gone to the FM50 instead.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have the Magnaflow 15580 SS Cat-Back Exhaust, Yes the drone at a certain RPM can be annoying , but now I dont even notice , In fact at this point I kinda like the drone.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Put a custom 3" shortie exhaust with a turbo straight through muffler on my 96 Nissan Hardbody with the a 2.4L KA engine. So loud I had to wear ear plugs on long road trips. Got 3 tickets in one month as I drew the attention of every cop in town. Learned to love quite exhaust, and good thing I keep my stocker. I was young and dumb.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a Flow Master 50 and I'm getting a little tired of the in cab drone on my KC.

I think it'd be OK if I could move it from it's original location under the cab to
under the bed. I like the sound on the outside, but the inside is a little too much.

I didn't like the sound of the original muffler, is made the truck sound more like a
leaf blower when I started it, I like a little bit of a rumble/growl on start up.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have a 2012 Pro4X and I regret changing my exhaust... both times. The first system was a exhaust shop custom special using a Magnaflow muffler. Sounded like a coked-up badger in a garbage can. Second (current) system is a Banks Power full cat back. Sounds great at first, then it gets louder and louder as it ages. Now it sounds like a V6 mustang with an exhaust leak.

The Pro4X exhaust sounded best, but the crummy factory crushed Y-pipe had to go. My advice is to replace the oem y pipe but keep the oem exhaust.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I have Doug Thorley cat back. some days I love it, other days I'm sick of the drone. It depends on the time and mood. It does sound good, but other times I have to turn up the radio to drown it out. Its a mixed thing; love/hate. I did definitely notice a performance increase, do I always love the sound, no; but sometimes yes!

Reactions: deckman80
1 - 15 of 15 Posts