Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Frontier SV V6 Crew Cab 2wd
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your experience with truck caps that are lined? If your in a high humidity area, do you battle mold?

What's your experience camping in a truck cap, lined and unlined? Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
No issues with mold, but my explorations are limited to the southwest and the Pacific northwest.

I always go with lined if the option is available. With unlined, you can get dew or condensation waterboarding you or your stuff all night. The carpet liner also makes it handy to velcro lightweight objects or wiring, and it provides protection from bumping objects. Not so much an issue with fiberglass, but my first ARE DCU (unlined) had several dings from the inside from me un/loading stuff. The ARE DCU on my Frontier is carpet lined and ding-free.

As for OEM vs. aftermarket carpet, for DCUs, I'd get OEM. The reason being, they glue the carpet onto the skin of the shell before riveting the shell to the frame. So the carpet is sandwiched between the skin and the frame and has 0 chance of sagging. It's way better than cutting and gluing carpet to fit in the areas between the frame structure.

For fiberglass shells, OEM carpet has fewer relief cuts than what could be done aftermarket. But if you're in a bind, adding carpet later is not easy but it's doable.

Reactions: BBQdave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information TwoWheelsDown. I will be ordering new ARE fiberglass cap, the lining will be OEM if I choose that option.

Truck camping would be Autumn, Winter and Spring here in NC, around 50F.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Mine is not lined so I don't have tons of first hand info.

I did have a friend in high school that had the nastiest line camper shell. I don't know what he did to his, but is was stinky and I believe moldy. Probably ok if you took care of it. However itleft an impression that lined shells were no good.

I do get some dripping condensation when sleeping in mine.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
Worst aspect of carpet lined toppers I've "heard of" is how they'll possibly/likely accumulate dust. Whether they are vacuum-able, IDK. Sealing the truck bed seems like a good approach, particularly around the tailgate.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think their are enough desiccant products that are not only effective, but reusable that
this shouldn't be an issue any more.

·
Super Moderator
11,288 Posts
I think their are enough desiccant products that are not only effective, but reusable that
this shouldn't be an issue any more.
Amazon has some that you plug in and it dries up accumulated moisture and use it again.
Eva-Dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier, White (E-333) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H0XFCS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TCD4VX255JMRD3H7D3EK
I think I’d skip the carpet liner if you live in a humid area as it may become a potential issue, one that was an extra cost item to boot.

Clint

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Worst aspect of carpet lined toppers I've "heard of" is how they'll possibly/likely accumulate dust. Whether they are vacuum-able, IDK. Sealing the truck bed seems like a good approach, particularly around the tailgate.
If they do accumulate dust on the carpet liner, I haven't noticed. My doors are also carpet-lined and I don't see dust puffing off the doors or the ceiling of the topper when the doors slam shut.

I'd skip sealing the tailgate and install a roof vent on the topper instead. Toppers can create a low-pressure zone inside the bed, which will suck dirt and dust through every crevice. I sealed the tailgate and plugged as many gaps with low-density foam, and I still got dust until I installed a roof vent. Now I can drive on red dirt roads virtually dust-free.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-Fans/Redline/RV-626-062-2756.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate the information all, thanks :)

Humidity is a challenge here in NC. We're happy when we get that occasional low humidity Winter - to dry out the environment.

I'm thinking no liner in the cap might be the best for my application - tent camping with some truck cap camping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts