Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
What are you expecting out of it? It will make more noise but not really any more power. K&N filters are not known for having the best "filtering" of particles. The truck already pulls cold, clean out of the fender area with the stock setup.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What Nissan4life said! I put a K&N filter in my my F150 16 yrs ago. After 2 yrs the map sensor failed. Friend of mine said it was caused by the oil from the filter. He whips out his phone. Says buy this filter, burn the k&n! It's the washable, reuseable cotton filter. Just like the k&n, but used dry. The Ford got one, so does both my Nissans. Every fall I wash it, let it dry, throw it back in. Think they cost $12....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
just don't over oil the filter when you go to wash it, otherwise, I've never had issues, ran for 15 years on different vehicles, they make cool noises for sure. You might be interested in an intake manifold spacer too. One of the members on here makes them, I have one, and it's a little more effective than a cai imo.

Here's a great video of all the major intakes made for the 4.0

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Just some reference for anyone saying the stock airbox is too restrictive. The V8 pathfinder uses the same airbox...
I mean, in the same way you could say that it's even more restrictive on the pathfinder, and therefore even more of a reason to replace it. Some people like to chase the 2-6hp. For me, the money is better elsewhere, but the JDM noises are worth it for others, same as an exhaust.

Chasing power from naturally aspirated engines is always going to be expensive for a little gain, BUT it does make your vehicle more uniquely yours, so I support those who dare to be different. Having the same oem stuff as everyone else is so boring. If mods make you smile when you get in your truck, and you have the extra money, have fun, just do it.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
What Nissan4life said! I put a K&N filter in my my F150 16 yrs ago. After 2 yrs the map sensor failed. Friend of mine said it was caused by the oil from the filter. He whips out his phone. Says buy this filter, burn the k&n! It's the washable, reuseable cotton filter. Just like the k&n, but used dry. The Ford got one, so does both my Nissans. Every fall I wash it, let it dry, throw it back in. Think they cost $12....

Did you mention the filter you use? I missed it somewhere

I use the NAPA Gold air filters

·
Registered
2017 Pro 4X
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I installed the k&n. My observations, do notice that throttle seems more responsive, it is louder, only slightly though, I. Don’t understand why you need the black plastic tube, seems like the stock set up does the same thing, just remove the airbox, install the filter? Not sure the difference. Is it worth it, jury is out, but that’s the first performance mod on the truck, more to come?

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Ok, I installed the k&n. My observations, do notice that throttle seems more responsive, it is louder, only slightly though, I. Don’t understand why you need the black plastic tube, seems like the stock set up does the same thing, just remove the airbox, install the filter? Not sure the difference. Is it worth it, jury is out, but that’s the first performance mod on the truck, more to come?
Pictures?

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
here you go. Pretty easy to do!

lol looks great my dude

Here's another intake mod for the rabbit hole:

The IMS probably would pair well with your intake. Idk if anyone has done both yet?

Maybe someone will chime in. I would be interested to see.

Anyway I did the IMS so far with, sounds like, similar results as your intake

Why did you choose K&N over the airbox style like Volant or aFe Power?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Did you mention the filter you use? I missed it somewhere

I use the NAPA Gold air filters
sundet, looked into my purchase history. Doesn't go back to 2017, so I can't give you a brand. Paid about $12 bucks. I started using it once the 5yr/60k warranty was up. At 116k now. My F150 rung up almost 80k miles on the same kind of washable, non oiling filter. Ebay had them, now there's a red colored filter, but didn't see one for the Frontier.

·
Registered
2017 Pro 4X
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

lol looks great my dude

Here's another intake mod for the rabbit hole:

The IMS probably would pair well with your intake. Idk if anyone has done both yet?

Maybe someone will chime in. I would be interested to see.

Anyway I did the IMS so far with, sounds like, similar results as your intake

Why did you choose K&N over the airbox style like Volant or aFe Power?
What did the intake manifold cost? Can you really tell a difference? I just am not smart enough to know what it would do? K$N because I had used before on my M3.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts