Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question for those who are more knowledgeable than me on auto electrics.
This happened to me twice yesterday. Before I get to work I stop and get a newspaper, I had driven about 50 miles before I stopped. The truck had run fine, no problems whatsoever. When I turned the ignition off the truck seemed to turn off a little different than normal, can't really explain it just that feeling that something is not quite the same as normal.
Anyway, I get my paper and get back in the truck. It starts up fine but all the radio presets have gone and all the trip computer function have zeroed out.
I finish my journey to work (about 3 miles), the truck shuts down fine. After work I start the truck up and there is no problem, I drive 30 seconds to get gas (free gas from work is a great perk :) ), the truck shuts off and starts up no problems.
I drive home (50 miles), on the drive all the gauges read normal. I stop just before my house to get some beer and the truck shuts down oddly again. When I start it up all my presets and trip functions have been reset again!
When I get home, about a mile, the truck shuts down fine. I did a quick restart and everything was OK. I checked the battery connections and they are nice and tight and there is no CEL (I have a code scanner at work which I'll check later today) any ideas on what this could be??
It's an '05 Nismo 4x2 with 118000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance,

Explorerman

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
A quick question for those who are more knowledgeable than me on auto electrics.
This happened to me twice yesterday. Before I get to work I stop and get a newspaper, I had driven about 50 miles before I stopped. The truck had run fine, no problems whatsoever. When I turned the ignition off the truck seemed to turn off a little different than normal, can't really explain it just that feeling that something is not quite the same as normal.
Anyway, I get my paper and get back in the truck. It starts up fine but all the radio presets have gone and all the trip computer function have zeroed out.
I finish my journey to work (about 3 miles), the truck shuts down fine. After work I start the truck up and there is no problem, I drive 30 seconds to get gas (free gas from work is a great perk :) ), the truck shuts off and starts up no problems.

Explorerman
The obvious answer is that the truck self-disconnected the ground to the battery upon shutdown. This precipitates resetting of all user configurations. It would seem that this mishap can be done by the ECU. The fact that no CEL alerts were thrown by the ECU is puzzling. But, if the ECU is busted, anything can happen.

Along the same line, the ECU may have, upon startup, entered a "cold boot" mode and ignored the memory entries and reset everything to factory settings.

I would research this strange phenomenon before going to the stealership.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I'm going to keep an eye on this. I just ran the scan tool and there were no codes. The battery is 18 months old and there is no corrosion on either terminal and the battery tested good, normal and under load. The charging system is a hair on the low side at 13.8v but it was within the good range on the tester.

Thanks again,

Explorerman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts