Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need one for occasional use. I think I found my solution. Hoping for feedback from an actual owner. I have the UtiliTrac.

Base plates supposedly bolt to existing holes in bed...

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Need one for occasional use. I think I found my solution. Hoping for feedback from an actual owner. I have the UtiliTrac.

Base plates supposedly bolt to existing holes in bed...

Thanks in advance!

Looks like maybe no bolts needed for base...

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,832 Posts
Admittedly I do not have personal experience with this product when I make this comment, but it looks like it uses pressure between the lip of the bed and the floor of the truck to retain itself. It does not look like it's terribly well attached.

If I were in your shoes and wanting to use this, I would see if it's possible to add another fastener that connects to where the D-ring cargo tie-downs lower in the bed are positioned. The result would be two points with fasteners anchoring it to the bed, plus the downward pressure on the floor of the bed.

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
Does this bolt to the Utilitrack at all?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Would not use it without attaching to the floor with a bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Admittedly I do not have personal experience with this product when I make this comment, but it looks like it uses pressure between the lip of the bed and the floor of the truck to retain itself. It does not look like it's terribly well attached.

If I were in your shoes and wanting to use this, I would see if it's possible to add another fastener that connects to where the D-ring cargo tie-downs lower in the bed are positioned. The result would be two points with fasteners anchoring it to the bed, plus the downward pressure on the floor of the bed.
Good point. Not opposed to that suggestion. This would be used rareley, though would have come in handy first days I had her. Built a loft ladder for my nephew in DC a couple days after I picked her up. Had to build in 2 parts as I didn't like options for moving lumber over 6 feet long. 2' x's, pipe, gutters and the occasional 28' ladder are about it.

Concern is stress on both rail and bed floor.

Does this bolt to the Utilitrack at all?
Looks like one bolt acts like a cam in the track, same as the cleats, similar to such tracks on router tables, etc..

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,832 Posts
Good point. Not opposed to that suggestion. This would be used rareley, though would have come in handy first days I had her. Built a loft ladder for my nephew in DC a couple days after I picked her up. Had to build in 2 parts as I didn't like options for moving lumber over 6 feet long. 2' x's, pipe, gutters and the occasional 28' ladder are about it.

Concern is stress on both rail and bed floor.
I had a sort of light-duty headache rack on my first '95 Hardbody. I was planning on moving it to my second '95 Hardbody but since it was an open frame with no glass protection I'd planned on having some added before installing it, but we bought the new truck before I got around to doing it so it went to Dad along with the truck.

I used that headache rack to protect the back of the cab's roof against things ~10' long several times. If I get my canopy lift/removal system for the garage I'm tempted to get a removable headache rack for the Frontier, and to also get a second upright that would go near the back end of the bed so that if I needed a pseudo-pipe-rack or ladder support or the like I could add one temporarily and it would be wide enough to carry something big like plywood.

·
Super Moderator
11,254 Posts
I’d add a plate to the foot and attach it to the utilitrac in the bed floor and then it would be secured top and bottom.
They also make it in an all aluminum version.

Clint

Reactions: mlwinnig

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’d add a plate to the foot and attach it to the utilitrac in the bed floor and then it would be secured top and bottom.
They also make it in an all aluminum version.

Clint
Leaning towards this one now!

Yes I know. Not exactly the same. Thinking more useful, less risk of issues without drilling.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Leaning towards this one now!

Yes I know. Not exactly the same. Thinking more useful, less risk of issues without drilling.

Thoughts?

Bummer! Won't fit.

Anyone know of similar design which will?

·
Super Moderator
11,254 Posts
I like that one as long as you always have help available when you need to remove it. I went on their site and saw a nice two piece aluminum set that I’m now considering as I can easily install and remove by myself and weighs very little. The full rack weighs about 164 pounds.
I use a tri fold bed cover so I’d never leave it on as I need the bed dry and covered all other times.

Clint

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I like that one as long as you always have help available when you need to remove it. I went on their site and saw a nice two piece aluminum set that I’m now considering as I can easily install and remove by myself and weighs very little. The full rack weighs about 164 pounds.
I use a tri fold bed cover so I’d never leave it on as I need the bed dry and covered all other times.

Clint
Ah. Good point. Likely not the case for me. I think I would leave it on most of the time but ability to remove and install alone is a plus. Please post details on one you are considering.

Saw one which works with cover but it is $1k. Guessing cover not cheap either.

Clint
New post shows one which should fit...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts