Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
When you say you ran it hot with the cap off, I assume you are talking about the pressure cap on the overflow tank / de-gas bottle?
Nope. After I drained and flushed with water, I filled to cover the tubes in the radiator, and added a little in the tank.. With the heat on and the engine running I continued to monitor the fluid level. Every time it dropped from air being expelled, I added more fluid to cover the tubes.

After the level stabilized, I put the cap on, and left the cap off the tank and with the heat still on, shot down the road a couple miles and back. Because there was no pressure in the tank, it was safe to remove the radiator cap again to check the level.

Added more fluid and let it idle some more all the while the heat was on. I finally shut it off, filled the radiator to the tippy top put the cap on, filled the tank and drove it a couple days. I think I had to add some more to the tank, but that was it.

It helped it was a hot day, so the thermostat stayed open.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You won't do any harm overfilling the coolant reservoir. As the coolant expands while heating, any truly excess amount will be forced out of the pressure cap and drain onto the street. Just don't let your dog drink it if it lands on your driveway. Dogs love coolant, but it will kill them in short order.

If you keep the level an inch or two above MAX, you should not have any trouble with the infamous heater core air bubble, where you'll have lack of heat at idle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nope. After I drained and flushed with water, I filled to cover the tubes in the radiator, and added a little in the tank.. With the heat on and the engine running I continued to monitor the fluid level. Every time it dropped from air being expelled, I added more fluid to cover the tubes.

After the level stabilized, I put the cap on, and left the cap off the tank and with the heat still on, shot down the road a couple miles and back. Because there was no pressure in the tank, it was safe to remove the radiator cap again to check the level.

Added more fluid and let it idle some more all the while the heat was on. I finally shut it off, filled the radiator to the tippy top put the cap on, filled the tank and drove it a couple days. I think I had to add some more to the tank, but that was it.

It helped it was a hot day, so the thermostat stayed open.
You won't do any harm overfilling the coolant reservoir. As the coolant expands while heating, any truly excess amount will be forced out of the pressure cap and drain onto the street. Just don't let your dog drink it if it lands on your driveway. Dogs love coolant, but it will kill them in short order.

If you keep the level an inch or two above MAX, you should not have any trouble with the infamous heater core air bubble, where you'll have lack of heat at idle.
Thanks! I plan to work on this today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone ever use a Lisle funnel when changing fluid? These things are great!

I've had mine for at least a decade and it's been great for burping just about any car. I'm swapping my radiator soon so this will help in the burping process.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Anyone ever use a Lisle funnel when changing fluid? These things are great!

I've had mine for at least a decade and it's been great for burping just about any car. I'm swapping my radiator soon so this will help in the burping process.
I have never used this type of funnel. The trapped air does not come in from the entrance to the radiator. It is trapped within the bowels. Can this funnel remove the trapped air?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sort of...It's similar to the tank we have, but open. It allows for expansion and bubbles will eventually flow into the funnel after the thermostat opens. I'm looking at the whole thing to make sure it'll work okay because it's usually used in a system where the overflow tank isn't a part of the regular running circuit. I don't think it'll really perform any different though. If you have a bubble in the system, with this funnel, you'd use it in place of the seal cap. It has adapters for different radiator styles. Pour some antifreeze in it so it's probably half full and start the engine. Let it run to operating temp and then hold the throttle to 1500-ish to get the fluid moving faster. That should flush any bubbles out and they'll end up coming out into the funnel.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts