Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,018 Posts
If a stubby can work well , why don’t the vehicle manufacturers ship them installed when new.

Clint

·
Registered
164 Posts
If a stubby can work well , why don’t the vehicle manufacturers ship them installed when new.

Clint
They are, sort of. They are putting them on the roof and the world is referring the them as shark fins. Probably dual purpose- satellite and AM/FM.

My Frontier is my first brand new vehicle since... since... my '94 Isuzu pickup. I don't think our 2000 Sentra had a whip, and I'm pretty certain my non-satellite radio '04 Silverado did not have a whip. (Hmm, maybe it did.) Neither did my '05 Hyundai Santa Fe, nor '12 Kia Soul, they each had a 4-5" straight antenna mounted at the rear of the roof. Wait- my Miata-based 2017 Fiat Spider came with a whip, a Stubby was waiting at home for 2 weeks before the car arrived.

Strange they can't just work an antenna into the cavity between the roof and the headliner, completely concealed.

·
Premium Member
10,018 Posts
The am/fm reception sucked in my 2016 Frontier and my 2018 Titan, they both have a long traditional antenna so I can’t see how a shorter antenna can do well. You’re all welcome do as you wish but I don’t see it possible to get good reception. I used to listen to FM but now am forced to subscribe to SiriusXM to get decent reception.

Clint

·
Registered
164 Posts
The am/fm reception sucked in my 2016 Frontier and my 2018 Titan, they both have a long traditional antenna so I can’t see how a shorter antenna can do well. You’re all welcome do as you wish but I don’t see it possible to get good reception. I used to listen to FM but now am forced to subscribe to SiriusXM to get decent reception.

Clint
A former Miata guy- nice!

On my truck, the Stubby works well in my fairly flat geography grabbing powerful FM signals, lower power signals are a gamble. On my Fiat, those weaker signals are received much better. 4" Stubby on each ride. Must be something other than just the antenna, but I don't have the knowledge to explain it. I quit the satellite years ago and just have music on this USB thumb drive. 32gig is plug and play and holds a good 3000 songs, 64gig model takes a little prep work, which I've written about previously in the audio forum.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts