Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I know there are some threads on replacements but they all seem very old threads so I thought I would start a new one and hoping some of you can chime in and give us some ideas as too which ones are good and bad.

I do listen to radio so it's not only aesthetics but function as well.

Let me know.

All I know is cheap options at walmart, Amazon and Ebay. I can see there is brand called Stubby but not sure if this product stands out from rest.

Loco

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stubby for aesthetics.
SiriusXM for listening.
Yes you are correct about your second point, but that's a paid service I rather not pay.

Guess I'll stick to the long stock antenna. But I would love to reduce the size. Dint need to go to 4inch. It could be 12inch of so.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
There's a 12" mast being sold on Amazon and ebay that looks just like the original - but is short enough to not be bothered by automated car washes. Reception is still very good with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a 12" mast being sold on Amazon and ebay that looks just like the original - but is short enough to not be bothered by automated car washes. Reception is still very good with it.
If you could provide a link that would be great . There are so many options.

Can anyone fit a Frontier ? Like one ment for a Ram?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the Stubby on my '17 Fiat 124 Spider convertible and FM reception is very good with it, strong and weak power signals, shine through.

I tried the shorter Stubby (~2") on my Frontier and reception was poor. No hassle exchanged for the original length Stubby(~4") and the Frontier easily picks up strong FM signals in my metro area, weaker signal stations can be a challenge.

The Frontier is known to have pretty poor radio reception anyway, I don't know if that is a function if the radio or the design if the antenna system to begin with, but I won't blame the Stubby. Same antennas, same geography, and one vehicle gets superior signal quality over the other.

For general music listening, though, I have about 3600 songs loaded onto a tiny Sandisc USB drive, takes almost a year to play through everything. On commercial FM, you can hear a song repeated in 60-90 minutes.

Lastly, the Stubby clears the path to easier snow and ice scraping of the windshield here in MN. I do have to be careful of its location when clearing snow, often times it is buried in deeper snow and can be easy to hit with a snow brush.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
I hated Sirius. Between the poor fidelity due to compression and intermittent losses of signal from a building or even a tree, it was maddening.

If anyone wants to rid themselves of Sirius AND wants to avoid their unrelenting assault of phone calls/etc once your subscription expires...you MUST contact them BEFORE your contract is up and formally request that they contact you as few times as possible. Now, I only receive a couple snail mail letters/year trying to lure me back. Boom.

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I hated Sirius. Between the poor fidelity due to compression and intermittent losses of signal from a building or even a tree, it was maddening.

If anyone wants to rid themselves of Sirius AND wants to avoid their unrelenting assault of phone calls/etc once your subscription expires...you MUST contact them BEFORE your contract is up and formally request that they contact you as few times as possible. Now, I only receive a couple snail mail letters/year trying to lure me back. Boom.
You must of had Sirius many years ago when they didn't have as many satellites up.
Now it's rare that the signal drops, I've held it in parking garages.
You get vastly better coverage with satellite radio than any cell phone service offers.

For the price of 3-4 Starbucks coffees, Sirius offers hundreds of channels 24 hours a day for a whole month, most without annoying commercials for minutes on end. Talk about maddening. I'll take the occasional drop of signal over not having to listen to annoying commercials every few minutes and have all kinds of music options, not to mention sports, news and comedy.
I know that sounds like a commercial but it's true.
Music selection wise, it's a bargain.
I remember having to spend $10-15 for just one CD or Cassette of 10 to 14 songs.
Now that same price offers a month of everything on Sirius. It's a bargain compared to any other entertainment option.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just have a Spotify subscription and download tons of music for the car Bluetooth.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
You must of had Sirius many years ago when they didn't have as many satellites up.
Now it's rare that the signal drops, I've held it in parking garages.
You get vastly better coverage with satellite radio than any cell phone service offers.
Sirius came free w/ my '15. I let it lapse & was then bombarded w/ calls/emails/etc... I did give it one more try, but my listed issues continued. The fidelity was not good. Read how to avoid the post-subscription bombardment here at CF, and cut my ties w/ them correctly prior to my subscription expiring.

I quit listening to FM radio in '00. Though I will listen to sports/talk radio and some news shows for traffic info when needed. Otherwise an iPod full of my music and a CD player get me my jam-fix.

What I really need is a taller than stock antenna that better matches the height of my above cab topper. These are prolly out there, but I've yet to put much effort into finding one.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
What I really need is a taller than stock antenna that better matches the height of my above cab topper.
Aesthetics may be one thing, but a little extra length won't buy you any better FM reception.

The "perfect" FM antenna is a quarter of a wavelength in height (roughly 28 inches for the middle of the FM band) - That's the length that provides maximum gain. Either side of that length, the gain starts falling off.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
I want a taller antenna to conveniently forewarn me of any obstacles that might damage my above-cab fiberglass topper in slow speed maneuvers like pulling into a garage/etc.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Look online Rockymountain ATV, for the flex pole warning flag for quads in the sand dunes, makes a great scrapping sound against concrete.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you could provide a link that would be great . There are so many options.

Can anyone fit a Frontier ? Like one ment for a Ram?
I have a Pioneer head unit with HD radio and Sirius/XM. Satellite is useless now.

I’ve tried a stubby and the threaded socket is too deep on my truck for any of the adapters to allow the short mast to fit in.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just put the "Original Stubby" on my 2019 and it works great. All I listen to is the FM Radio, so I'm pretty happy with it. Some of the stations that were on the fringe are clear now. All's good...IMHO. $25 at cravenspeed.com/the-original-stubby-antenna-

·
Registered
28 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts