Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed new headlights with HID projectors converted by XPBQN. The work is incredible and they work perfect. I purchased the Infiniti FX-R projector kit complete with projectors, bulbs, ballasts, and wiring harness from The Retrofit Source. I chose 5000K bulbs for my application.

Removal and installation of the existing headlights was more involved than I thought but total time was 1 1/2 hours.

Hopefully Brad (XPBQN) will offer a retrofit for tail lights but with both red and amber.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
974 Posts
Holy mother of god, L, it's brighter than mine. Oh, just notice that you have 5000K. Mine is 4300K. But it's good to see pictures of them on your truck.

You want me to retrofit the LED tail light? Do you want to wait till I have a complete product? BRUTAL, FRONTIRE, etc... had seen mine. You can get opinions from them on how they look. Till I have it done, I'll post the pics if you like it. And if you do, I'll purchase the AMBER LEDs to fit your needs. Right now, I only have RED LED.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy mother of god, L, it's brighter than mine. Oh, just notice that you have 5000K. Mine is 4300K. But it's good to see pictures of them on your truck.

You want me to retrofit the LED tail light? Do you want to wait till I have a complete product? BRUTAL, FRONTIRE, etc... had seen mine. You can get opinions from them on how they look. Till I have it done, I'll post the pics if you like it. And if you do, I'll purchase the AMBER LEDs to fit your needs. Right now, I only have RED LED.
I am only using 35W factory Infiniti ballasts. I may step up to 55W in the future.

Regarding the tail lights, pictures would be great and amber LED's would be awesome!!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Those look great, but don't you lose your brights? It would be great if there were a way to have a second bulb in there for brights.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Those look great, but don't you lose your brights? It would be great if there were a way to have a second bulb in there for brights.
You meant Hi-beam? If so, then the Hi-beam does work. It works just like the factory HID projector.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As Brad stated above, I still have use of the high beam. There are two wires that are part of the projector. When the high beam is selected, the internal shield of the projector moves to give you a high beam.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How do those hi-beams work? Is there something that moves the projector, or is it just the bulb moving in and out like the retrofit kits for the stock headlights.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Alot of OEM HID headlights have an additional headlight bulb to help with high beams. My Acura MDX has a second one that is a halogen that comes on during highbeam operation. There is no flipping of the reflector that I know of.

Good work on the retrofit. DOes the background paint in the headlight that you body match, effect the light output? As it does not seem to be any reflector then.

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
lookin good

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
DOes the background paint in the headlight that you body match, effect the light output? As it does not seem to be any reflector then.
The reflection is done in the projector.

The light output on that looks BEAUTIFUL! So much nicer than the retro's, I am going to have to do this sooner than later. I'll try a shroud though, I'm not much of a fan of being able to see what's going on there.

·
Registered
398 Posts
sundevil / XPBQN: Do either of guys know if the head lights are switched positive or switched negative? I'm looking at DIY a wire harness.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The reflection is done in the projector.

The light output on that looks BEAUTIFUL! So much nicer than the retro's, I am going to have to do this sooner than later. I'll try a shroud though, I'm not much of a fan of being able to see what's going on there.
to be honest that is my issue with them as well, seeing the screws and the sheet metal or whatever it is. No doubting the improvement it makes though. Just wish there was a way to recess the projector to the back of the reflector housing so you only have to cut a round hole for it to come through, toss a trim ring on it and call it that. But i haven't taken apart a headlight to see if adjustment is still possible like that or if that way will run into airbox or battery clearance problems.

Not busting your balls or anything XPBQN as you do damn good work.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
sundevil / XPBQN: Do either of guys know if the head lights are switched positive or switched negative? I'm looking at DIY a wire harness.
Everything wires up as standard. There is no switching of wires.

to be honest that is my issue with them as well, seeing the screws and the sheet metal or whatever it is. No doubting the improvement it makes though. Just wish there was a way to recess the projector to the back of the reflector housing so you only have to cut a round hole for it to come through, toss a trim ring on it and call it that. But i haven't taken apart a headlight to see if adjustment is still possible like that or if that way will run into airbox or battery clearance problems.

Not busting your balls or anything XPBQN as you do damn good work.
The way Brad has done the retrofit allows you to maintain leveling of the headlights. If you recess the projector beyond the reflector and in to the housing, you WILL loose the ability to level the headlights.

Is there a way to adjust them to make sure they are perfectly level?
The ability to level is maintained as it would be with factory halogen bulbs.

How do those hi-beams work? Is there something that moves the projector, or is it just the bulb moving in and out like the retrofit kits for the stock headlights.
The factory Infiniti FX-R projectors that I now have include two wires (positive & negative) outside of the HID bulb. When you switch your headlights to high beam, these wires activate the shield inside the projector and move it slightly to give you high beam. There is no dual bulb setup like some of the cheaper drop-in style 9007 HID kits out there.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i figured the adjustment is the reason why the projectors are mounted that way....thanks for clearing it up :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, those are bright! Do you really need the Hi-beams after that?
Not really. Since they have been adjusted properly, I can see more than enough with just low beam. The nice thing about the straight line cutoff is that I have the projectors set just below most car door mirrors so I don't blind anyone when I am behind them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts