Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I nabbed a set of factory skids for my SV yesterday and was thinking about how everyone says how weak they are. That got me thinking about how to make them more rigid. I thought about reinforcing them somehow, but I'm not sure I have the skills that would require. Then I had the thought of coating them with spray on bedliner. That stuff is tough and would ad a bit of rigidity to them. I'm going to try it unless someone can give me a good reason why I shouldn't.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Structural rigidity will not be achieved by means of a Bedliner coating. Underbody protection needs to be able to support the weight of the vehicle when resting, scraping, or crashing down onto an obstacle, like a stump or a rock. There needs to be enough strength in the material so that it won't deflect beyond its yield point and allow the stump to puncture your truck's vulnerable vitals.

The factory skids will deflect significantly. To my knowledge, they are about the same thickness as our body panels.

Just think, you probably wouldn't try to jack up your from end from your factory skid plate because you'd just end up pushing the jack up through your oil pan lol

A great way to add strength is to double or triple them up. This will give you a lot more strength and could be cost effective when compared to the aftermarket prices.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Dimple dies might add a little ridgity but like Frontier said, the material is too thin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts