Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I just fixed one oil leak on my new to me 2000 Crew Cab 3.3. And that was the oil sending unit. Now I just noticed a leak right at the rear of the oil pain / front main seal. Which of these are more likely the culprit at 92,000 miles? Hoping its just the oil pan. Any way to know for sure? I am at lunch so I can't get into it too much. Looks like this may be why the original owner was running 10w40, I just switched it over to 10w30.

Thanks for any and all help guys!

·
Registered
443 Posts
i would suggest get some brake cleaner and clean the oil off. Then wait to see what leaks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I am not so sure if I want it to be the oil pan either, sheesh, looks like you have to remove all sorts of stuff to get to it to.

The alternative, is the front engine seal a DIY item?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, I just found a Permatex product called Spray N Seal for leaks. I am in no way going to add additives to my oil, and this one sprays on the outside. Anyone ever used the stuff?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
is there a need to create 2 threads about the same question? only you see what you are talking it about. seems you have narrowed it down, so start with the oil pan since it is easier/cheaper.

move on from there

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
If its your front main, You need to do your timing belt in the next few thousand miles either way.. Just change it wile your in there..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for coming across as harsh guys, I really do appreciate all of the help.

On a good side, after further investigation, I found out that the starter is supposed to be silver, not black. The leak (or some of it anyways) is coming from above the starter around the passenger valve cover gasket, which brought a smile to my face. I tightened the screws, as all of them were loose, but the leak is still there.

Anyone that has done this, what gasket(s) do you prefer, Fel Pro?

Again guys, sorry for the harsh words, and as always thanks for your help! :chillpill:

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Sorry for coming across as harsh guys, I really do appreciate all of the help.

On a good side, after further investigation, I found out that the starter is supposed to be silver, not black. The leak (or some of it anyways) is coming from above the starter around the passenger valve cover gasket, which brought a smile to my face. I tightened the screws, as all of them were loose, but the leak is still there.

Anyone that has done this, what gasket(s) do you prefer, Fel Pro?

Again guys, sorry for the harsh words, and as always thanks for your help! :chillpill:
Doing my drivers side today... its gonna suck bad because the intake upper plentum gets to come off. use OEM nissan gaskets man. they are hardly more money and well worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts