Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per forum rules I'll say hello (always thought intro threads were silly)...anyway, I am without a truck and have been for I guess now about 3 yrs.
Finally started to look for another one (used). I have long been a toyota fan, and assumed I'd get another tacoma. The frontiers were a second choice, and one I never really gave much credit to.

Well last weekend I go out to test drive a few, first was a tacoma, I think 2015 or there abouts...while I'd be happy with it, there were things that I didn't like. To my eyes the visibility was a step down from the older tacos and pickups...the nose is big, and the windshield felt small, and rear view was also less than I'd like.
Driving was fine, but not very responsive.
Next up a nissan dealer, about 2 minutes down the road. Get in a 2012 frontier, first thing I notice is way better visibility than the taco I just drove. Then at the first light, I accidentally peal out a bit...Wow, its got some power it seams. Feels pretty good overall, and I like the so called "dated interior" I don't like all the bells and whistles anyway, and something felt right about the old style.
Then I try a 2017 4 door, and love it!, but I don't want to spend that much so I am hoping for the older ext.cab to start my new relationship with a frontier.

My only big concern is the talk of coolant getting into transmissions on these things...I still need to drive a few more (both toyota and nissans) but I'm leaning to the frontier as of now, just seems to be more truck for the money.

Hopefully I'll have one soon.

·
Admin
3,418 Posts
Welcome. 2010 and earlier models had an issue of a defect in radiator causing coolant in transmission, occasionally. This defect was fixed in 2011 and later models. As an aside, this is a non factor in all manual transmissions.

If you do buy a 2010 or earlier and the defect has not yet occurred, you can do a diy bypass or replace the oem radiator .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts