Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another Exhaust Thread... Need Advice... NISMO Header Pic Added

I've narrowed my choices down to two. One is trying to find a real NISMO exhaust, and the second is a total custom setup. Now, the NISMO one is straight forward if I can find one, but the custom setup I'm picturing is not. I'm looking to run a true dual. After looking at dozens of threads, here's what I've come up with:

All stainless pipe from the cats back to twin Borla Turbo mufflers with a X-pipe before them (read on here that it evens out the flow), all stainless from the mufflers back to the stock exhaust exit with some nice Borla tips. All 2.25" diameter pipe.

Ideally I'd like to run twin pipes straight out the back but I can't remove my spare tire just yet and I've read that in order to do this you have to ditch the spare.

NOTE: I've got a set of NISMO headers on their way and those need to factor into the equation along with the intake (K&N with AEM filter; not installed yet.)

Now, the problem I'm having is I just read where someone had too much flow with a similar setup and it hurt the drive-ability and overall performance of the truck. I'd like to stay away from tuning it at this point until I get everything together and can get down to UPREV (there's a dealer on Long Island.) So, to sum it all up, what, if any, are the concerns with running this setup? All advice welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just for the hell of it, here's a pic of what the UPS man dropped off last night.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
do the custom duals will sound great and with the 2.25 piping have good power threw the RPM band. as for tuning, Performance Motorsports on LI is a very good shop

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Drew. I'm going to get a quote (hopefully) Saturday morning for the duals.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I think the custom setup your planning is a great choice. I would make sure you get the intake done asap too, to help balance the intake and the exhaust. Since your not messing with your cats I dont think you will have too much flow. You should be able to get by without a tuner for now. As a side note, a good tune will make more difference by itself than your planned headers, duals, and intake put together. And since your planning to eventually get uprev tuned, you will see some great gains having already done a nice exhaust and intake system. So overall your plans sounds sound like a good one to me.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Aint' nothin more custom than custom. Do it up!

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot guys!

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Went to the shop this morning and got the truck up on the lift. We discussed options, Magnaflow dual in/single out, various off the shelf kits, but I know what I want and what sounded good (to me) via links posted here. The guy was very pleasant and seems decent.

Header install (about 5 hours at $85 an hour) + dual Borla mufflers (he didn't care for Borla so recommended against them but as I said, I like how they sound) + all stainless pipe (2.25" diameter) + a couple days to do the whole thing (small shop with only him and 2 other guys) = $1200-1600. Price varies depending on how much he can get the pipe for.

Want to do it, but not sure I want to spend that sort of bread. Although, that's about exactly what I figured it would be. You gotta pay to play. What do you guys thing?

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
its a little up there you sould be able to save some $$ by doing the headers your self but over all not a bad price to have headers installed and an exhaust made up

·
Registered
637 Posts
How hard are the headers to intall?

I threw a set of DT's on my 95 Pathfinder and it sucked as I had a few broken studs (common) but all in all wasnt too bad.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Headers for these trucks are a pain from what I understand. I think 5 hours is pretty reasonable actually. That's about $450 to install the headers with tax. I've seen quotes on here guys got that were near $1000.

I think I'm going to go for it, I just need to figure out how to go without my truck for a couple days. I'll have a better idea of real price on Monday when he finds out the price of the piping.

I'm looking at it like this... I want a Shrock bumper eventually. With lights the bumper would be $1200-1400 plus my time installing it... I actually think I'll get more grins/enjoyment out of the exhaust/headers/intake than I will the bumper so in that sense, it's money well spent. I'll see tomorrow how much dough I get back for my taxes. I told my girl that all the tax money is going to the truck so the price isn't as big a deal (it's not taken lightly though) as the down time for the truck is.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
yeah you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of the exhaust work but the other stuff we can do in your driveway in a day or so

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
How hard are the headers to intall?

I threw a set of DT's on my 95 Pathfinder and it sucked as I had a few broken studs (common) but all in all wasnt too bad.
No doubt! I had a 95 Pathy too that I put headers on. Only broke one stud but it still sucked. I would like to put headers on my Frontier, and don't want to pay waaay to much to do it. I'm sure I can do them myself but not sure yet.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going to do it. Got a final estimate minus tips and tax of $1280-$1350 for the whole show (header install and exhaust.) I'll do the intake myself as soon as it gets warm enough that I can spend more than 30 mins outside. Anybody got a garage I can borrow for an hour or so on President's Day?

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: Deposit laid on the table. Truck goes to the shop Feb. 26-27. Now I need a day between now and then to get my intake on.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE: Instead of posting thread after thread, it's just easier to update a thread I all ready have. I don't consider this "build thread" worthy and the discussion in this thread more than makes this post worth while...

Today was nice and warm (38 degrees and sunny) so on went the K&N intake with AEM Dryflow filter...

Two weeks until the headers and duals go on :fantastic:

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE: Dual Borla's and NISMO Headers Installed

Dropped the truck off yesterday and picked her up today. Install is very nice in my opinion and Wayne (installer) was very good to deal with. Final price was dead on his estimate.

K&N/AEM intake, NISMO Headers, dual Borla Turbo mufflers, 2.25" stainless pipe from the cats back to twin polished stainless rolled edge Borla tips.

The sound clip video is EXTREMELY POOR. It sounds WAY better in person. I'm going to borrow my buddies camera to get a better quality sound. This clip taken with a Kodak Crap-o-Matic digital camera.

Yfrog - 1020445

·
Registered
578 Posts
from what i can tell it sounds great

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
from what i can tell it sounds great
Oh it does brother, it does. I just need good equipment to capture it properly.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
sounds good man, gonna be even better when they break in.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts