Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned 5 different Nissan pickups in a row, each purchased new by trading my previous one. 85,90,95,2000, and my current 07 Frontier. All my others were purchased new, and I racked a minimum of 150,000 miles on 'em before I traded in for a new one. None gave me trouble, and at 10,000 mile oil changes they never used oil either.
But this new one is a POS. 65,000 miles on it. The engine rattles at startup. The pre converter heat shield rattles. Something in the rear driver door (KC) is rattling around, and I think it's the (very weak) seat belt tensioner.

So there you go. Another loyal customer that Nissan has managed to alienate with crappy quality. A Tacoma or Ranger actually looks good right now, as soon as I fix everything.

Thanks for letting me vent!:hi:

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
LOL, one heck of an intro thread.

I know this doesn't help now but if you joined the forum back in 07 and not in '10, you could have noticed that some of those things are common and some of TSBs to have them fixed.

P.S. Its always better to join a forum before you have issues so you learn how to navigate the forum and you find out what issues others are having and what the solution is for them.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Not sure the VQ40 likes it when his oil is changed ever 10k lol.

Sounds like nothing is really wrong with that truck, just needs a little TLC for the rattles.

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
I've owned 5 different Nissan pickups in a row, each purchased new by trading my previous one. 85,90,95,2000, and my current 07 Frontier. All my others were purchased new, and I racked a minimum of 150,000 miles on 'em before I traded in for a new one. None gave me trouble, and at 10,000 mile oil changes they never used oil either.
But this new one is a POS. 65,000 miles on it. The engine rattles at startup. The pre converter heat shield rattles. Something in the rear driver door (KC) is rattling around, and I think it's the (very weak) seat belt tensioner.

So there you go. Another loyal customer that Nissan has managed to alienate with crappy quality. A Tacoma or Ranger actually looks good right now, as soon as I fix everything.

None of the issues you stated are bad enough to warrant a rant. You don't change your oil on a proper schedule and if it blew up you'd complain. The shields can be secured so no more problem. As far as the door is concerned look for the noise and adjust it, again no more problem. The seat belt is not a biggie either, annoying yes but a true problem no. If they had a strong belt return it would be annoying to have the belt constantly tugging on you.
So go buy a toyota and fear running into a stationary object or actually hit something then come tell us how much better your Frontier was.
I don't know anything about the ranger except I liike their looks but they aren't going to be made anymore so that means nobody wants one anymore.
It's posts like this that have ZERO substance, but show up on a google search and gives people second thoughts when in ACTUALITY the Frontier and Nissan are both well above average.
Now I feel better....

Clint

·
Registered
463 Posts
Gee, welcome to the site. Maybe you should try again when someone hasnt pi$$ed in your cornflakes.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Welcome...

None of the issues you stated are bad enough to warrant a rant. You don't change your oil on a proper schedule and if it blew up you'd complain. The shields can be secured so no more problem. As far as the door is concerned look for the noise and adjust it, again no more problem. The seat belt is not a biggie either, annoying yes but a true problem no. If they had a strong belt return it would be annoying to have the belt constantly tugging on you.
So go buy a toyota and fear running into a stationary object or actually hit something then come tell us how much better your Frontier was.
I don't know anything about the ranger except I liike their looks but they aren't going to be made anymore so that means nobody wants one anymore.
It's posts like this that have ZERO substance, but show up on a google search and gives people second thoughts when in ACTUALITY the Frontier and Nissan are both well above average.
Now I feel better....

Clint

and....well said!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Every auto manufacture has its pros and cons and little quirky things that go wrong... as for that heat shield you can just rip it off mine started to rattle on my 05 xterra around 50k

·
Registered
755 Posts

why don't you look at a chevy colorado too? since government motors vehicle...

·
Registered
936 Posts

Welcome to the Frontier forum. I assume you have a 6 cylinder engine and if that is what you have then I would suspect your "rattling" problem is with the timing chain guides as that seems to be a pretty common problem with the 6 cylinders (VQ40) engines. There is a TSB as the stated above that covers this. Is your warranty still good? If so your dealership should be able to fix it.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Welcome to the club! Please be kind to your engine and change the oil in smaller intervals. If the rattle really bothers you that bad then take it to the dealership!:)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wow... Um, welcome?

My '07 rocks. Sorry you feel different. I run Mobil 1 extended performance which they say has a life of 12k or 15k miles but I at least change it 6k.

I can't see how you would be happier with a Ranger or Taco-
My Ranger was a turd from the 6 mile mark when I took ownership, I had a stack of warranty work orders and failing EGR valve when I traded it at 40k for my previous Frontier.

The Tacos ride poorly, the bed is made of plastic, have no cajones, and have you heard about the previous model's frame cracking? Do you think they engineered this out of the current one? I wouldn't take the chances.

Hopefully you can get these issues taken care of and realize you made the right choice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I totally agree with the OP's original complaints but none of them sway me from looking forward to a new Nissan truck in a couple of years.

By the way, you forgot "driveline slack." On a flat road the thing drives like a 1940s dump truck but the slamming softens after about 20,000 miles, heh. No truck beats me from green lights except old Lightnings and Porsches. I love the 4.0 VQ40DE engine--what an amazing engine for this size truck. The Tacoma is a joke compared to the Frontier, and I really wanted to like the Tacoma. The Ranger is a pathetic mess and I still don't know why they didn't replace it with the SportTrac already. I really also wanted to like the GM 5-cylinder product but wow, such a disappointment. Every GM small truck fan I know has upgraded to Nissan Frontier instead.

Since we also were talking about rattles at startup, I have not encountered an engine that does NOT do this since model year 1993 of any truck. I drove a top-of-the-line Navigator for seven years and it had piston-slap and rattle at startup and it never affected durability, power, or fuel economy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nissan Frontier Rants.

I love my 08 Frontier SE 4x4. It has been one of the most dependable vehicles I've ever owned. I have had it in nearly 3 feet of snow and not gotten stuck. I do get some rattles and squeaks from time to time, but I have had that with every vehicle I've ever owned, at some point. I just isolate where the sound is coming from and fix it. This forum has been very helpful in getting the tougher to find squeaks located. I think this may actually be my first post but rest assure, I am reading the stuff on here and it is definitely beneficial. Anyway, I do love my truck and I plan on keeping it for a long time as I did when I bought it new back in 07. These trucks really have a distinct look and it's a good one. I'll be alright with the little quirks it has. Could be worse; it could have a faulty gas pedal, right?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
you have a few rattles. you bought a truck, not a bmw. get over it suzy.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Toyota has some good deals going right now, see ya:)

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
I don't think I have ever been a truck that didn't rattle some place.. I don't think the ridge line I test drove rattled..

But this one time I had a summer job and we drove these 70's dodges and the power steering didn't work under 30 MPH.. so we bombed alot of logging roads at unsafe speeds.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
why don't you look at a chevy colorado too? since government motors vehicle...
Oh dear GOD!:thatswck:

You don't know problems until you buy a Chevrolet Colorado, and back in the day a S10. Also their alikes, the Sonoma, Canyon, and Hombre. My brother-in-law has had his Colorado flood out five times. Once is was at 40,000 and his heater core busted and leaked all the engine coolant into the truck. Twice water coming in through the cowl panel up front and twice water coming in through the 3rd brakelight. He can't keep the check engine light off. Starting somewhere around 50,000 the windows will not roll up. They will roll down and then you have to push and pull to help them up. The list goes on for days but I will spare everyone. I love my truck!!! Yes, it makes noises but then I fix 'em.

Toyota had quality back in the day but I never had more of a pain in the *** ride and as everyone can see they are not quality anymore.:)

I don't think I have ever been a truck that didn't rattle some place.. I don't think the ridge line I test drove rattled..

But this one time I had a summer job and we drove these 70's dodges and the power steering didn't work under 30 MPH.. so we bombed alot of logging roads at unsafe speeds.
Yes, we drive trucks not BMW's.

·
Registered
347 Posts
maybe this will work out better for you

I would say these are luxury "trucks"
I would call that Hondas version of the Dodge Rampage/Subaru Brat/Subaru Baja: real trucks have frames. They also have beds that are seperate from the cab.

Honduh Ridgeline, The perfect truck... for a Sally.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts