Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV CC 4x4 Automatic LB OEM
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
First time posting, first time Nissan owner.
I bought my 16' SV CC 4x4 AT with 48k this past November. I am enjoying my new to me Frontier but have been highly annoyed with the transmission.
When I drive in town the trans will shift from 4th to 5th at 34-40mph which dogs the engine terribly, especially when going up slight inclines. I have been turning the O/D off while driving in town to avoid this but from time to time I forget to turn the O/D back on when I get out of town which makes me more annoyed because I shouldn't have to remember to do this because the transmission is automatic...
Anyhow, is this a common problem/gripe that anyone else has experienced? Is there something that can be done about it? Tuner? Reflash?

Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine can be sometimes, so I try to avoid that range. I think that's about the speed the torque converter locks up.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I do not have this problem but maybe it is because it is flatter where I live but driving back n forth to NY I did not experience this but I only have 130k on mine. Also I only turn off Overdrive when yanking 1 of my trailers. My suggestion go drive a F150 or a Ram then you will enjoy just pushing a button when you feel the need they are always hunting gears even a gust of wind will make them shift lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I have ever had was Fords until now. I still have my 2004 F250. I have every once in a while experienced the wind gusts shifts when towing or hauling 2000lbs+. The newer f150 with the 10speed that I rented did hunt for gears quite a bit in hilly terrain. So much so that I would probably never buy one.

The other Sean,
I was never big into modifying my trucks. Why did the spacer help? What does it do?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
The spacer adds some height/length to the intake runners. There is some claimed power, but, my main belief is it shifts the power curve down in the RPM range making the truck a little more drivable. I've heard there is also a short turn going in to the lower intake manifold and this helps the air make the turn.

And no @bajasam , it doesn't "separate your cash from your wallet" as throttle body spacers do. This is an intake spacer that goes between the upper and lower plenums. There is a specific hill in my neighborhood that normally I needed to either turn off the OD or apply enough throttle to get the truck to downshift to drive over without really lugging the engine and after the intake spacer, I simply stay on the throttle as and the truck powers right up. So... In my eyes, it works. I'm claiming now increase in HP or MPG gains.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds reasonable. I will give that a look into.

Anyone have any insight on my tuner idea?
Besides the early shift concern, I am interested in a tuner to get better stats than what the dash cluster provides for learning and code reading purposes. I don't have any MILs but I have always done all of my repairs and maintenance on every vehicle I have had.

@bajasam has a point. A intake spacer would put some more space in my wallet. Less than what a tuner would from what I have seen though.

Thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts
Everything Other Sean said is all correct and true regarding intake runner length and lowering torque curve, the question is if it actually is a large enough gain to justify the amount of cash spent.It's my personal belief that after spending a couple hundred bucks on a gadget it's only natural for one to Imagine more power than actually exists in order to help justify spending all that money to yourself or your wife etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the XTP manifold spacers. While debating on clicking the submit button I started to weigh my options between the spacer and the tuner.
If I reasoned correctly, with the manifold spacer the transmission would still shift early but the engine would have more power available at the lower RPMs which should help alleviate the engine lugging.

The tuner would(hopefully) allow me to adjust the shift point and adjust the idle speed, etc. I haven't seen anything on this forum where someone has specifically mentioned changing shift points with a Bully Dog. I emailed Bully Dog to see if the tuner they have for our trucks will allow me to change the shift points. Awaiting a response.

Now that I have had too much time to think about it I want to get both! Having the tuner may allow me to adjust/experiment with other things that I have noticed, like the low idle speed. Then having the manifold spacer would also be a good experiment to try with and without the tuner.
So much thinking without the funds to match.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Teera, the spacer is dyno proven to make a difference, however large or small. Its on my list of mods to add, but I'm not going to do one until I can get a used cast-off or a group-buy, just seems like a large amount of cash for a hunk of aluminium. I'm going to try to aim for when spark plugs are due and do both projects simultaneously. I'm at 93k now.
The trans hunting is normal, I've gotten used to it and the O/D button all the time.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Teera, the spacer is dyno proven to make a difference, however large or small. Its on my list or mods to add, but I'm not going to do one until I can get a used cast-off or a group-buy, just seems like a large amount of cash for a hunk of aluminium. I'm going to try to aim for when spark plugs are due and do both projects simultaneously. I'm at 93k now.
The trans hunting is normal, I've gotten used to it and the O/D button all the time.
The spacer is worth the money, and one of the mods that will make a difference. Plus makes replacing the spark plugs easier. If I am filling someone slow up a hill I turn off the o/d so it does not hunt for gears.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Everything Other Sean said is all correct and true regarding intake runner length and lowering torque curve, the question is if it actually is a large enough gain to justify the amount of cash spent.It's my personal belief that after spending a couple hundred bucks on a gadget it's only natural for one to Imagine more power than actually exists in order to help justify spending all that money to yourself or your wife etc.
Here is my honest opinion on the spacer.

I got mine on a black Friday group buy. I don't remember what I paid, but it was a savings of $70-$90 if I remember right.

I feel the truck pulls better in that 35-45mph range.

For what I paid, I'd do it again. If I had to pay full price, I'd say I'd be 80% sure I'd do it again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just going to add here, that I also experience the annoying 35-40mph shift/TC lock, with the engine dogging following it. I notice it around town. If I’m on the highway, it doesn’t happen at those higher speeds, very smooth. So I simply hit the OD button when I know I won’t be able to hold at least 45mph consistently.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I did it. Clicked the purchase button. The truck is blue so I opted for a blue one. It's obviously a popular modification and am pretty excited to try it out. I got the install instructions and order confirmation almost immediately. It couldn't get here fast enough now.
Can't look at my account balance for a few days though. 😬

·
Registered
2017 SV CC LWB 4x4 auto
176 Posts
I've thought about the spacer but the xtp website says it works up to 2015. Mines a 17. Yours is a 16… so let me know if it all goes according to plan so I can confidently order one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts