Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey CF members! You may have noticed a change during the past few weeks, namely that some of us Smurfs (Super Moderators) now have red names and a fancy new red title. I want to explain what this means to you.

Super Mods are somewhat limited in what they can and cannot do. They can perform tasks like editing and deleting posts, merging and sticking threads, and cleaning up spam and issuing bans. But historically, if you needed a change made to your account (say, you wanted a new username), you needed to contact the Site Admin (via the "Contact Us" form or a PM to "Administrator"). Our Site Admins (hereafter known as "the powers that be") are wonderful. But they have other sites to take care of besides this one and aren't always immediately available to help.

That's where we come in. Any moderator with a bold crimson name and the "Administrator" title (currently 2013Pro4x, JeniorNV, Nomad 13 and Zedbra) is able to help with all sorts of site related issues now - tasks such as changing usernames and email addresses, resetting passwords, and most issues related to logging in or posting privileges.

From now on, if you guys have any site related issues, please don't hesitate to contact one of us first. Chances are pretty good that we'll be able to help. And we like spending time here, so we tend to be on the site quite a bit. Most of the time, you can find at least one of us logged in during daytime hours. In the odd chance that we can't help you, we will put you in touch with the powers that be for assistance.

If you have any questions about these changes, please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for all the work that y'all do. I'm old enough to be past the will to spend more time on a computer than I do at work repairing things. So please know your efforts are very much appreciated!

·
Registered
785 Posts
JeniorNV: Thank You for all the help you provided me with my logging issue. Really appreciate it.

MSK

·
Registered
241 Posts
Why are you now putting advertisements in the middle of every post?

As a fellow Webmaster and site owner (of dozens of domains), I truly understand (more than most) the need to monetize to cover the expense of such a large site, but even that's a bit much... Please consider revising your layout to maybe insert an advert every 4 or 5 posts rather than every single post?

Hmmm.. 2 minutes ago, my build thread had an advert in every post, now it seems to be gone..

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f103/rootbeer-segwayne-s-2016-nissan-frontier-build-maintenance-thread-233945/index5.html

Looks like you're actively working on it. If so, sorry about that, if not, please reconsider?

Thanks,

Wayne

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why are you now putting advertisements in the middle of every post?

As a fellow Webmaster and site owner (of dozens of domains), I truly understand (more than most) the need to monetize to cover the expense of such a large site, but even that's a bit much... Please consider revising your layout to maybe insert an advert every 4 or 5 posts rather than every single post?

Hmmm.. 2 minutes ago, my build thread had an advert in every post, now it seems to be gone..

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f103/rootbeer-segwayne-s-2016-nissan-frontier-build-maintenance-thread-233945/index5.html

Looks like you're actively working on it. If so, sorry about that, if not, please reconsider?

Thanks,

Wayne
Club Frontier is owned by AutoGuide, which is in turn owned by VerticalScope, and decisions regarding advertising are made by the way way way higher-ups.

Having said that, you shouldn't see a ton of advertisements within the posts themselves unless you are logged out completely (by design, those ads should encourage non-members to become members). If it continues to be a problem when you are actually logged in, please let us know and we'll direct you to the appropriate party.

·
Admin
3,280 Posts
Echoing (or basically just repeating :)) what JeniorNV said above, there will be an advertisement in (and sometimes between) nearly every post, when you are not logged in.

See the screenshots of being logged in as a free registered user vs. the same thread as an anonymous guest.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
See the screenshots of being logged in as a free registered user vs. the same thread as an anonymous guest.
Maybe that was it. I thought I was logged in but things have been a little screwy for me since the password reset issue a few weeks ago, then again, I can't check in every day as I used to, so who knows?

Just my opinion, and sorry, I should have PM'd this, but I do know that for me, any site that I come across that puts advertisements in every response? I will just move on and find a different site to use. It does NOT (again, for me) "promote registering", it says "we're only in it for the money, so feel free to go away"

Just trying to be helpful, even if I screw up and don't take it PM...

Wayne

·
Banned
37 Posts
Judging from my past reading, there seems to be a lack of moderate engagement with members. It seems mods are now discouraged from engaging in conversations. Right or wrong?

·
Admin
3,280 Posts
Judging from my past reading, there seems to be a lack of moderate engagement with members. It seems mods are now discouraged from engaging in conversations. Right or wrong?
That is not correct. The volunteer mods and the volunteer member admins @JeniorNV lists above are also members first. We all own Frontiers. There has never been any discouragement of posting or conversion with other members that I know of.

What past reading are you referring to?

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Maybe that was it. I thought I was logged in but things have been a little screwy for me since the password reset issue a few weeks ago, then again, I can't check in every day as I used to, so who knows?

Just my opinion, and sorry, I should have PM'd this, but I do know that for me, any site that I come across that puts advertisements in every response? I will just move on and find a different site to use. It does NOT (again, for me) "promote registering", it says "we're only in it for the money, so feel free to go away"

Wayne
Nearly every forum I come across while google searching for info does this. I run an adblocker, so I am shielded a little, but, it does come with the territory when lurking on random forums.

Keep in mind that after a while, lots of forum interaction is the same/repetitive/chit chat. I find myself passing threads or not commenting because it is the same similar conversation and I have only been around for about 2 years. No need for moderators to chime in on every AAL vs shackle and Duratrac vs BFG thread.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Nope. A few of us have just been busier than usual lately. We're still free to roam the forum at will and join the conversation in any thread we're interested in aside from our mod/admin roles.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I find the Forum category names confusing.

Like "4- Banger Lounge" - people with 1st generation 4-bangers like my 2004 do post in here, or in 1st generation section, maybe change to 2nd generation 4-Banger, might smooth things out.

I still don't know which forum to post a question about AC, or stereo, or engine problems in general, so I usually just do that in 1st Generation Hangout, but where do folks with 2nd gen post similar?.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Wayne
You can also become a premium member yearly for just the cost of one restaurant lunch. Or for the cost of dinner for two become a lifetime member, a lot less adverts.

Thanks for what you Mods do ::smile::

Cusser your problem is a issue for 1st Gens. Under mods and technical discussions it has all those topics you brought up. It doesn't say 2nd gen but most appear to be just that. So I would continue doing what your doing. 1st Gens are becoming less and less these days, but I do see a couple still running around my neck of the woods, heck mines only 1 year from being a 1st Gen.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Nope. A few of us have just been busier than usual lately. We're still free to roam the forum at will and join the conversation in any thread we're interested in aside from our mod/admin roles.
Just curious. Thanks.

That is not correct. The volunteer mods and the volunteer member admins @JeniorNV lists above are also members first. We all own Frontiers. There has never been any discouragement of posting or conversion with other members that I know of.

What past reading are you referring to?
I noticed it most in new member intros.

·
Rogue Admin
13,351 Posts
Life happens. Personally, I've been quite busy traveling thousands of kilometres per month for business; leaving little time to browse all the threads posted. I always try to poke into the threads I feel I can contribute information, but often the questions are already answered. Being here for 10 years thus far, it is nice to see new blood shaping the forum and taking the reins.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
1st Gens are becoming less and less these days, but I do see a couple still running around my neck of the woods, heck mines only 1 year from being a 1st Gen.
Blue Devil - that's because you're in Maryland !!! Out in the southwest, where there's little rain, a Frontier like my 2004 can still look pristine, inside and outside, if it hasn't been parked in the sun or man-handled; so many are still on the road. We have ZERO rust out here !

Heck, even my 1998 Frontier with 211K and is always outside doesn't look too shabby, and also is rust free. Sure makes working on these easier, when things don't snap off because of rust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts