Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone angle cut their bedsides??? If so how?! Example...
I know these are glass... But i'm talking about cutting the stock bedsides. I plan on doing at least... this, this year plus a fabed rear bumber. Any input is gladly welcome.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump, before I go to sleep...

What happened to this forum..?

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
like a dove tail and bob or just around the wheel wells, think penskie is the only one to really start cutting

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm talking about...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
you better undercoat the hell out of it if you do

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's another example... This is actually exactly what i want to do to it. M1key from Titantalk did it with a sawzall and he said it was a *****... I was wondering if there is a better way of doing it.

And to add to this topic... Does anyone know about "rolling" bedsides..?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah... Good idea... More clearance... I like the steep angled look though...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I plan on using a 3" air cut off tool, with plenty of blue tape.
Here we go!! I'll put this on my suggestions list...

Hmm... I'm gonna look into buying one now... Looks like these would cut through like butter... You... think it would???

Also... Do you plan on painting it after you the cutting???? (Rust worries me...)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
No plans of painting. if/when it rusts its just another reason for me to get fiberglass.

Ive cut some sh!t with my cut off tool. From the plastic inner fender, to the steel fender through the pinchweld, to misc steel plate for other projects. Just be sure to have a good air supply an your set.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
a grinder will cut pretty straight and easily with a cutting blade. use a straight edge to find the angle you want and have a friend trace ith with a sharpie or something. then cut and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
i'd def paint it after cutting, or bedline it or something. that will rust up in a heartbeat if you do not protect the metal in some way

·
Registered
571 Posts
+1 for angle grinder with cutting wheel, should work easily

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet thanks everyone... I'll definitely post after I do it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I cut my 1st bed before I got my flatbed. I used a grinder with a cut off wheel. Lay down a layer of painters tape where you want the cut. Then lay another piece right along side it and cut where they meet. Just make sure you get your body in a comfortable position so you can make the cut in one motion. If you have to start and stop it will be much more difficult. I also cut away everying about an inch below my final cut so I wouldnt have all the excess material in the way. That really helped since there wasnt any weight to pinch the wheel in the cut. After it was cut I sanded the burs away and taped about 1/4 inch above the bare metal. A quck sand followed by some high quality self etching primer (I used the green rustoleum stuff) and toppped off with black enamel paint. Never had a problem. Oh yea, then I taped everything off and shoot some undercoating on the backside.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
are there pics of your flatbed floating around somewhere? i didn't see them. (and would like to)

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
i cut the bed straight as well and used some stuff from checker to cover the edge so its not sharp , it was rubber edge guard or something i cant remember

1 - 20 of 92 Posts